[Chapter 10]

"If you're afraid to fail, then you're probably going to fail."

-Kobe Bryant

+++

{Y/N's POV}

"Today, we will be having tryouts for the new Quidditch team," Madam Hooch announced.

Fred and George looked at each other excitedly. I wasn't as excited as everyone else. Quidditch was pretty easy and I never thought about joining the team since I wasn't a sports player.

"You'll be splitting up into your houses," Madam Hooch continued. "Gryffindor versus Ravenclaw."

As everyone split into their groups, George nudged my shoulder.

"So... don't have a date for the ball?" he asked.

"No," I said.

"You know, if you don't find one and I don't find one, we can go as friends," he said with a grin.

"Ok, Georgie," I said. "And thanks."

"No problem. Anything for my friend."

I smiled, thankful for George. He was like an older brother to me.

"Get in your positions!" Madam Hooch said.

I sat on my broom and got into position. Madam Hooch opened up the chest and the balls flew out, scattering everywhere.

My eyes were on the snitch. I only wanted to play for fun. My motivation was pretending it held my happiness and in order to get it, I had to chase it. I wasn't the only one after it though. A Raven claw boy named Roger was after it as well and I wasn't about to let him have it.

The snitch flew out of sight, making me have to look around for it. I saw that Fred and George were trying out for beaters. They were so fast, they were like human bludgers.

Angela was doing a great job as a keeper. She did miss one shot though and one of the quaffles made it through the hoop.

From the corner of my eye, I saw a gold figure flying around. It caught my attention and I flew after it, knowing it was the snitch. I reached out my fingers to grab it, but it kept teasing me and flew in different directions, almost making me fall off my broom. Roger followed closely behind. He was copying my moves. Every time I did a loop, he did a loop. Every time I flew around a hoop, he did the same.

It was starting to drive me nuts, then I remembered one of the tricks I saw the Irish do at the Quidditch World Cup. One of the players had done a free fall then caught themselves right on time before hitting the ground.

Then, the snitch appeared in front of me, ready to tease me again.

"You can do it," I told myself.

My fingers unwrapped from the broom and I stood up, balancing on it now. I jumped towards the snitch and started falling. The wind blew against my back and I saw Roger looked at me wide eyed. Madam Hooch was carefully watching me as I caught the snitch with my left hand on time seconds before I hit the ground. My broom flew back to me and I grabbed it with my right hand. I sat back on the broom and looked at Roger.

"Great job, Ms. Y/L/N!" Madam Hooch called out.

Madam Hooch applauded, impressed. I felt a warm and proud sensation.

Roger was determined to show off as well. His trick wasn't as great as mine though. He decided to do loops in the air on his broom. Madam Hooch and I watched as he spun uncontrollably after the third spin. He crashed on the ground with a rough impact.