Chapter Six: The Slumbering Fae

The secrets that the white tree holds are more mysterious than ever. Beneath the tree there is a cavern of crisp snow and pale blue poppies that thrive despite the chill. They surround Artemis' unconscious form. Blood flowing from his wounded head stains the formerly pristine snow. Roots of the tree hang overhead as silver chandeliers, burrowing into the soil to create the cave itself.

When Artemis wakes, he peers upon a coffin of ice emitting soft light, suspended and encapsulated by roots. A boy rests within wearing a white doublet and a silver circlet studded with sapphires. There's that feeling again; of something ancient, of something that commands respect. Is he one of the beasts Ima spoke of?

Artemis rises, his attention never straying from the coffin. The boy doesn't move, even when Artemis climbs the roots towards the tunnel in hopes to escape. His head is on a swivel, constantly inspecting the boy, but when all remains still, he wavers.

Artemis gazes upon the sleeping boy, whose lips are tilted into a somber frown. There are cobwebs in the roots. Dust piles atop the coffin. Has anyone ever been here? Has he had no visitors? Artemis' heart sinks. He risks stepping closer, always watching, always waiting. Then he stands in front of the coffin, stepping onto the roots so he is eye to eye with the boy. As he peers into the ice, his breath coming out in wisps of white, he sees it; a single tear frozen against a pale cheek.

"Are you lonely?" Artemis whispers before he even considers the repercussions. There are none from the slumbering fae, but there are some within him, something that stirs deep. Something he can't overlook.

"What are you thinking?" He murmurs to himself, retrieving his iron sword. When he tries to cut into the coffin, a power throws the sword that burrows into the cave wall. Whatever enchantment is set upon the sleeping boy, iron cannot break it.

Artemis backs away, ordering himself to forget what he has discovered. He can't help. Most importantly, he shouldn't.

He retrieves his sword then ascends the wall, crawling through the tunnel to the world above. The snow on his jacket melts in the heat of the Grim Woods. Even as he walks through the shadowy woods, he can't forget the boy in ice. The downward tilt of his lips, the tear on his cheek, or the lonely cold.

Tomorrow he will visit only to clean the place up, then never again.

When tomorrow arrives, Artemis returns to the white tree. He secures a rope to the roots outside and descends. New snow continuing to fall from the roots buries the tracks he left yesterday, and yet, the snow never rises.

"I've only come to clean away the dust and cobwebs," Artemis explains, or perhaps seeks to persuade himself. He goes about his business, scaling the roots to sweep them clean with a cloth. He polishes the coffin, so it glows brighter. The boy within is even more eerily beautiful in the light, his perfectly chiseled cheeks, the downward tilt of his eyebrows, unblemished pale skin, silvery eyelashes, and bow-shaped lips. Stunning. Beautiful. Words fall short.

Artemis clears his throat. "I appreciate being allowed to hide here yesterday. Consider this payment."

Why he says anything, he isn't sure. The boy can't respond, but Artemis feels better speaking. Remaining quiet makes him feel like an intruder, which he technically is.

"I'm sorry that I cannot wake you," he continues, double checking that the dust and cobwebs are gone. He stands atop the roots, eye to eye with the boy again. "I don't know who you are or why you're here, and maybe I'm a fool to say this, but I hope someone comes soon to wake you. I hope you won't be lonely anymore."

Artemis returns to the rope leading to the surface. When he's about to crawl through the tunnel, he glances back once more. He studies the cavern, trying to memorize the beauty he doesn't plan to see again. Then he clambers out, unaware that the boy in ice heard everything.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:✧*⋆.*:・゚✧.: ⋆*・゚: .⋆ ☾

Ohhh...the boy heard everything, huh? ;)