Chapter Forty-Four: Safe With You

The return to Eidenswill is mostly uneventful; save for the moment Wren and Artemis were almost caught making out by Maggie. Then Wren argued to glamor the entire crew so they could make love under the stars. Artemis turned down that option... after considering the suggestion. For a second or so.

The soldiers guide Artemis and Maggie to town while Wren slips away unnoticed. Travelers and locals stop in their tracks to watch like they've discovered a new species. The guards say nothing, remaining as rude as the moment Artemis met them. They leave Artemis and Maggie outside his shop like they've dropped off a sack of dirty laundry. Artemis sort of felt like a dirty bag of laundry after being sea sick again, then getting upset from all the horseback riding. Apparently, he is not built for traveling any way other than on his own feet.

Once the soldiers are out of sight, Maggie says, "I better stop at the shop before Mom and Dad come running over here with rolling pins and stale bread."

Artemis smirks. "Yeah, I'd prefer not to be beaten to death outside my shop."

"I think I'm more likely to be beaten. Let's talk more tomorrow." She pats his arm and walks away, stopping to turn around and add, "Don't do anything rash. We'll figure this out, okay?"

Artemis nods and waves, watching Maggie until she enters her shop. He swiftly spins on his heel to head home. He'll save working on the shop for tomorrow, seeing as everything he had in there is likely rotten. The smell will be enough to kill if one could bottle it up. After the journey he has had, he doesn't have enough left in him to vomit anymore. Besides, Wren will want to talk.

Artemis shivers, thinking he can actually feel Wren's quiet gaze following him through the streets.

Camellia works in the kitchen on herbs when Artemis enters. She peers up at him, earnest surprise in her eyes. Her hands still and she looks away.

"Hi, Mama," Artemis whispers, uncertain of what she's going to say and whether he can handle it. If she's disappointed he returned, will he be able to brush it off?

"Welcome back," she whispers, continuing to grind herbs that release a sweet scent. "Did they hurt you?"

"Only if you blame them for sea sickness."

"Hmm." That seems to be the extent of her "care" for the evening. Artemis hates himself a little for getting excited that she asked about him at all. He doesn't push her, if only to spare himself the disappointment.

"I'm tired. I'm going to go to bed," he says, walking past her to enter his room. He shuts and locks the door behind him, then immediately feels the cold brush of winter and a pair of slim fingers ghosting his arm.

"You should have kept her enchanted," Wren whispers against his ear, both warming and chilling his skin.

"That would bring more comfort to you than me," Artemis replies. He turns to face Wren, who keeps him locked between the door and his firm chest. He flushes when Wren wraps both arms around his neck to snuggle his face against Artemis' neck. Every breath mimics the sensation of warm water brushing over cold skin. Artemis slips his arms around Wren's waist and presses his lips to Wren's temple.

"What's the meaning of the sudden cuddling session?" Artemis asks. He glances over his shoulder towards the door, wondering if Camellia can hear them.

As if Wren read his thoughts, he says, "Stop fretting. She won't discover I'm here. As if I'd let more interrupt our time together. I've grown tired of interruptions and inconveniences."

"Would you really call the king kidnapping me and forcing me to work with him and a fae queen to kill the High King as an inconvenience?"

"A very big inconvenience." Wren kisses Artemis' neck.