Chapter Forty-Nine: Troubles of the Outside

"Wren has been gone too long," Artemis says while pacing in front of Maggie. She sits at the center of the greenhouse, keeping her eyes on the plants and Dust, who has been talking to the plants for what felt like an eternity.

Artemis may be overreacting. There's no way to tell the time, but the moments seem to linger longer and longer until he can't stand it. His gaze glances continuously at the door, hoping for Wren to step in unharmed and smug so he knows everything is alright.

"Perhaps he and his siblings are coming up with a plan? If this Queen Ignit is as scary as you claim, it'll take time to decide how to fix this mess," Maggie suggests, although she doesn't sound all that convinced.

Her words don't set him at ease. He paces faster until Dust says, "Stop that nonsense. You're upsetting them."

Artemis doesn't even need to ask who "they" are. He's definitely referring to the plants, although Artemis has no idea how plants can be upset but he doesn't ask. Huffing, he drops down next to Maggie. She takes his hand to gently pat.

"Wren will be back any minute," she says, but, again, doesn't sound as convinced as she may have wanted to. Regardless, Artemis is grateful for it. Someone needs to keep him from bursting out the door in a desperate, pathetic, and ultimately futile attempt to save Wren from whatever wrath his siblings may have set upon him.

"Artemis," Dust suddenly calls, voice and expression devoid of emotion. "You remember how to get to the entrance, don't you?"

Artemis hesitates to reply, "Yes..."

"Then I suggest you start running."

Even if he didn't completely understand what Dust implied, Artemis leaps to his feet and does just that. His heart rings in his ears as he skids across the slippery castle floors, narrowly running around corners. Goblins hiss at him in the halls. He doesn't give them so much as a passing glance.

When he almost reaches the entrance, he finally sees Wren leaning his weight against the wall while clutching his chest that slowly leaks blood. With torn and bloody clothes, Wren limps a little closer. When his dim eyes spot Artemis, he drops. Artemis almost doesn't catch him, clutching his clothes to keep him from slipping out of his arms. None of his sporadic and borderline whimpered questions are answered because Wren lost consciousness.

What does that mean? Artemis searches the perimeter, spotting the goblins hiding in the dark. He holds Wren closer, pressing Wren's head into the crook of his neck. Will they risk an attack while Wren's too hurt to fight? Would it be best to return to Dust or--

"What a mess," Dust says, appearing behind them. Maggie stands next to him. She gasps when seeing Wren while Dust continues to appear careless. "He's getting blood all over the floor."

"How can you say that?" Maggie hisses, then squeaks when Dust gives her a cold glance.

"By opening my mouth and speaking," he replies nonchalantly. She puffs her cheeks, probably to keep herself from saying something that may get them all in trouble.

"W-What do we do? He lost a lot of blood, but a fae..." Maggie crosses her arms, squeezing her biceps so tightly they threaten to bruise. "Is there even medicine here or maybe in the greenhouse--"

"You will not touch my plants," Dust growls.

"But he's hurt."

Dust shrugs. "He'll be back on his feet by morning."

"Can you tell who did it?" Artemis hisses through clenched teeth. Maggie helps him maneuver Wren so that he's on his beck. Artemis stands, clutching Wren's thighs while Maggie stands behind them to make sure Wren doesn't slip off his back. "His siblings--"