Chapter Twenty-Four: The Sister of Death

A beauty of ice and snow follows Wren through the woods. Though the forest frosts, all sparkle under the starlight. Brighter than shimmering diamonds or the moon high in the sky. Laughter slips past Wren's lips, brightening the very wind around him until it's almost blinding white. Then it flickers when he pauses to laugh, pressing the back of his hand to his tender lips.

Strange how warm Artemis is. Sometimes a spark and other times a flame.

The kiss was unexpected, but by no means not appreciated. Wren pushed it, though. He lost himself for a moment. Eager for more in a way he hasn't felt. Ever. Artemis had a way of stirring up what Wren doesn't understand. These, dare he say it, human emotions send him into a spiral of confliction. Then he seeks Artemis, who further conflicts him and puts him at ease. An unusual combination.

Hadn't he agreed to say goodbye to the human? Wren appreciated the company while locked away. He said goodbye, to ensure Artemis knew things were done. But the thought of never gazing upon or speaking to his knight again caused an indescribable ache to fester in Wren's chest, then spread to every limb.

Wren returns to his winter domain, a world of white and crystal blue, where the chill feels like spring air. But reaching the castle, an alien sense of warmth seeps into Wren's skin. The goblins working on the floor scuttle faster than usual. Sweat drips from their brows, more so when encountering their master. Those in Wren's path stop, gawking at him through wide white eyes.

"Who is here?" Wren asks. There must be an unwanted guest for the castle to feel as it does.

"Princess Aurelia," the goblin squeaks. "She waits in the first floor lounge."

What in the High King's name is she doing there?

Wren storms through the castles. Doors nearly burst from their hinges because of the wrathful winds. They whistle through the halls, following Wren to the lounge where Aurelia waits. She sits on the couch, one leg placed neatly over the other and hands seated gracefully atop her legs. The fruit produced for her to consume has withered in their bowls. But that's how Aurelia likes them, infested with maggots and spitting black juice. She's the autumn princess, where the world decays to make way for winter. Death is her odd specialty.

"Wren," she speaks his name with elegance, but there's hate in her eyes. "Where have you been? I've been waiting for some time."

"Then you should have sent a letter announcing your arrival," Wren bites, sitting on an armchair to Aurelia's right. Goblins enter with food for their master. It lays untouched on the coffee table.

"Why are you here?" He snaps.

"The last we've seen of you was your grand return. We all suspected you to join the revels, and yet, we haven't heard a whisper. What have you been up to?"

"That is none of your concern, and if it is why you're here, then you best take your leave."

Aurelia never liked when others controlled a conversation. She always diverts attention or strays to a topic she rather discuss. She hasn't changed since the centuries Wren has slept. "For the Wren we knew, who gallivanted with strangers every evening and was rarely found in his right mind, to not attend a single revel since his return, perhaps your sleep has truly changed you for the better."

"My supposed change is not the reason you're here. Speak or I will cast you out." Which wouldn't work in a domain other than his. Aurelia's the oldest and strongest of the seasons. The only one to have never died and been reborn. She murdered the last winter princess with her own hands. Wren rather not follow in her footsteps. Annoying her had never led to his demise, but battling against her would be the end of him.

"Have you considered our request?" Aurelia asks.

"Not since last I heard it and I assure you, my answer remains the same."

"Why?"

"I told you, war is not my forte."

"We aren't asking you to go to war. We want you to end one before it begins. Don't you want to get back at Queen Ignit for trapping you in that slumber to begin with?"

"You used that argument once, and it didn't work. It will not do so now." And to think Wren was in such an agreeable mood, thanks to Artemis. Aurelia has gone and ruined it. Guess that means Wren will need a pick me up. A perfect excuse to visit Artemis again tomorrow and hope for another kiss.

Aurelia reaches for an apple from Wren's plate. He scowls when the fruit bruises against the tip of her fingers. The bruise festers black, dripping from the apple to the remainder of the fruit until all are gnarled and decayed. Aurelia brings the black fruit to her ruby lips, taking a slow bite that gushes black.

Wren felt disgust as a child, not understanding what Aurelia's power was. As an adult, he knows it's a threat. Let her fingers wrap around your throat and your skin will slide from your bones. Your eyes will turn milky white and drip from their sockets. Your fingernails and teeth will fall and your skin shrivels until you're a twisted corpse on the ground. He often wondered if it was painful, if you felt the life drain from your body, and if you were still awake for a moment. No more than a husk.

"Why must you make everything difficult?" She seeks, finishing her apple. "We need only this small favor. When have we ever asked anything of you?"

"And I have asked nothing of you. My answer is final. Now--" Wren points to the door. "Leave. I grew tired of your face the moment I stepped through the doors."

Aurelia snorts, rising from the couch. "You will leave with me."

"I will do no such thing."

"Under father's orders," Aurelia adds, smiling. There's no joy or even amusement behind her eyes. Wren can never tell what she's truly thinking or feeling. She's the best actress to ever live.

"Whatever for?"

There was never a positive reason the High King requested to meet his children. They were never much of anything to him. He didn't hold them as infants, tell them bedtime stories when they had nightmares, or congratulated them on the days of their birth. He was a father in title only. A king they gazed upon from a distance. Occasionally, they were tools to do his bidding. Nothing more. Which meant he only demanded to see his children when he had need for them and that need was rarely ever good.

"Queen Ignit has heard of your miraculous awakening. She isn't pleased--"

Good. Wren wishes he could have seen the look on her face when she heard the news.

"She has requested an audience to see you for herself. She waits at Thorn Hill for your arrival," Aurelia continues. "Make yourself presentable and we will be on our way."

"Foul bitch," Wren spits under his breath, referring to his sister and Queen Ignit. What a rotten evening it has become.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:✧*⋆.*:・゚✧.: ⋆*・゚: .⋆ ☾

Wren's siblings really want his assistance. Will they ever convince him to help? And Queen Ignit, the one who put Wren under a spell, wishes to see him. What could happen when they meet? =O