Chapter Thirty-Six: The Queen's Ultimatum

As much as Wren wishes to spend his days with Artemis, Azar presented a problem; the revels. Wren never missed them before. Often partying for weeks, months, or even years on end. One of the very few tales his father told spoke of a revel that lasted a century after the fall of Queen Ignit's initial assault upon the Grim Woods. Wren wished to have witnessed such a sight; Ignit's fall and the revel.

When the sun rises, Wren does too. Artemis is a light sleeper. He groans, eye opening to squint at Wren. He rises from the bed, slipping his shirt on while wishing he had to retrieve his pants too. Cuddling through the night is oddly acceptable though. The prince has never been one to enjoy physical affection that didn't lead to sexual satisfaction, but Artemis is an exception. Wren wouldn't mind laying in his arms for hours on end, if that were an option.

"I will return in a few days," Wren states, fixing his slightly ruffled hair.

"A few days?" Artemis yawns. He sits up in bed, trying to hide his face while retrieving his eyepatch.

"Some have noticed my absence at the revels. It will make them suspicious. I'll show my face for a few days, then tell them their ugly mugs piss me off and take my leave."

Artemis snorts. "Why does it have to be a few days? Why not go for a single night?"

Smirking, Wren leans over the bed. Artemis rolls his eye when the prince asks, "If you think you'll miss me so much, all you have to do is tell me to return in a day and I will make it happen."

Although it would be a terrible idea, but Wren is always full of those.

Artemis presses his palm to Wren's forehead and pushes him away. "I'll be fine," he claims. "I just don't want you returning in a piss poor mood."

Wren places a delicate hand over his heart. "Your concern for my mental health is most appreciated."

"I'm not concerned for yours. I'm concerned for mine. You're extra prickly when you're in a foul mood."

"How lucky you are to lie." Wren taps Artemis' scrunched up nose. "Dream of me while I'm gone."

Artemis grins. "Why are you wishing nightmares upon me?"

Wren crosses his arms. "I can't tell if you're in a good or a bad mood based on your endless teasing."

Chuckling, Artemis slips out of bed. He takes Wren's hands to hold between them. Then he leans up to kiss Wren slow, like it's the first time. Wren's eyes flutter closed, basking in the warmth of Artemis' lips. When they break apart, Artemis smiles. He's fearful of the tight sensation in his chest.

"If you cheat on me at the revel, I'll shoot you," Artemis says.

"There is no one capable of taking my eyes off you, Artemis."

His brazen honesty leads to Artemis' cheeks simmering red. Clearing his throat, Artemis steps away. "That's, uh, g-good to hear."

Or it's the worst admission Wren has ever given. It's truer than true can be. That's the problem.

While Artemis prepares for the day, Wren slips out the window. He doesn't look back and avoids the area where Azar met his demise. There's no proof of them speaking or Azar's death, but it won't take long for Ignit to notice her favorite son missing. Azar has always done everything she ordered without hesitation. He was vicious when he needed to be or played a kind soul to lore unsuspecting mortals to their demise or eternal capture. When he doesn't return to report to her about whatever scheme she had him working on, she'll know it's because he isn't capable of doing so.

Wren growls, troubled by the thought of a troubling future. What the hell was he thinking?

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:✧*⋆.*:・゚✧.: ⋆*・゚: .⋆ ☾