Chapter Thirty-Nine: Educated Guesses

While at sea, Wren doesn't commit a single murder, miraculously. Although he does enchant a sailor, stashes him in a claustrophobia-inducing closet, and takes his place among the ranks without anyone being the wiser (except Artemis, of course.) An oddly good thing he did too seeing as his presence allows Artemis some semblance of comfort. Not that the soldiers have given him or Maggie any reason to worry (other than the kidnapping bit.) They're allowed to wander the ship, are given food regularly, and left relatively on their own, allowing Artemis and Maggie to come up with a few ideas.

"Isn't it odd that the king is summoning you now?" Maggie inquires one day over lunch. A soldier brought their food a few moments earlier. Wren has taken up watch by their door. Any who try to take his place are met by a wave of his fingers that make them spin on their heel and walk away with a new objective.

Artemis notices Wren gaze curiously at Maggie, a rarity since most of the time it's some form of a glare.

"Isn't it odd that he's summoning me at all?" he argues.

Maggie munches on a bread roll before replying, "I don't actually think so. With your eye, it makes sense that he'd at least be interested." She suddenly scrunches her nose. "What if he wants to make you become a tour guide for the elites? Let them see the Grim Woods under the safety of one who can lead them home. That sounds ludicrous enough to be exactly what they want."

Artemis pales at the thought, mostly because he can see that happening. "I get the feeling it's... a more sinister reason."

Maggie nods and thinks aloud, "There have always been rumors about you because you assist those who become lost. Gossip travels fast so it makes sense for the king himself to hear of a boy who can traverse the Grim Woods. Anyone would grow curious, even a king. I doubt it has taken this long to reach his ears though, which makes me believe something has happened recently to warrant your assistance now."

"Maybe he lost his prized pony in the woods and misses her greatly."

Maggie giggles. Wren's eyebrow twitches. Artemis offers an apologetic smile that the prince rolls his shoulders at. He can't get over seeing Wren disguised as a brunette. He was certain Wren would go for a blonde since that seems to be the running joke... and Wren is the extremely jealous type so blonde vs blonde should be right up his alley. Artemis gives the prince a mental pat on the back for reframing from such childish games.

"If only I paid more attention to travelers discussing politics and drama in the south." Maggie sighs and takes another large bite of bread. "If I had, I'd have a better idea of what's going on so we could prepare for what's about to happen."

"I doubt any preparation would help us. We're far from home with very few allies." One of which Maggie isn't aware of and wouldn't be considered an ally of if Artemis hadn't ordered it.

After lunch, Maggie heads outside to admire the sea. Artemis would join her if his stomach could handle watching the waves crash against the ship for longer than ten seconds without the intense urge to projectile vomit everything he ate within the last 24 hours. His father chose the wrong piece of art to carve into his bow. Artemis is not friendly with waves, but that's working in his favor. With Maggie gone, Wren shuts their cabin door. His glamour dissipates to show the grumpy prince beneath.

"What do you think?" Artemis asks, earning a raised brow. He explains, "About what Maggie said, that something happened recently to force the king's hand."

"I think the waves have managed to knock some sense into her head."

"That may be the sweetest thing you'll ever say about her."

Wren rolls his eyes.

Getting up, Artemis pushes his chair to the otherside of the table beside Maggie's. He pats the chair, beckoning Wren over. The prince hesitates like he's going to argue, but huffs and gives in. Once Wren's seated next to him, Artemis rests his head on Wren's shoulder, blushing up to his ears. He needs to grow more accustomed to physical affection, not only because it'd be good for Wren but also because it'd be good for him too. Bit by bit until it's normal. Until he doesn't worry about what comes after and if he's ready to handle it, at least he hopes that's how it'll work. Besides, Wren gives nice reactions. Offering a smug smirk or trying to hide a soft smirk.