Chapter Twenty: Congratulations

Artemis wakes up on his 18th birthday less than hospitable. He has not celebrated birthdays in many years. Ever since Kalen passed. Even when Camellia was more herself, there wasn't enough life in either of them to celebrate a day that Kalen made worthwhile. Artemis struggles not to remember his father's gleaming eyes or almost painful smile, waking him before dawn because he had so many plans for them. Kalen would scoop Artemis up and swing him around the house, singing and congratulating him on another year.

Swinging his legs out of bed, Artemis observes the frame of his door where they marked his height every year until Kalen died. His stomach churns.

Then there's a knock at the door followed by Camellia's voice, "Artemis, are you awake?"

"Yeah," he calls, rising to get dressed. He opens the door, startled to encounter a breakfast for champions on the table. There are fresh vegetables from the garden accompanied by a hot loaf of bread he's certain Camellia bought from Maggie. Or Maggie brought it over before sunrise.

"Happy birthday!" Camellia announces, throwing her arms around his neck. Artemis sinks into her embrace, somehow relishing and resenting it. He wishes this were honest, and he wishes he would forget it isn't.

"Thanks," he whispers, biting back a whimper when she kisses his cheek.

"Make sure not to eat anything on your way home tonight," she lectures, signaling for him to sit down. "I'm making an extra special dinner and a treat."

"You don't need to do that, Mama."

"Nonsense! It's your birthday and--" Camellia gasps, setting a glass of water on the table. She tenderly runs her fingers through Artemis' hair, forcing him to freeze. He swallows the lump in his throat when hearing the tremor in her voice, "You're already 18, Artie. If Kalen were here, he'd be so proud of you. You look like him, do you know that?"

Yes. He knows. Camellia reminded him all the time; that he looked like the dead husband who cheated on her and left her with his spitting image.

"You've grown into a fine young man. More than fine. Most your age do not own their own shop. They're still training to open one some day." Camellia laughs, sitting across from Artemis. "Although, I'm upset that I have not met a partner yet."

Artemis chokes on his breakfast, slapping his chest. Saddest part is, it has nothing to do with the mention of a partner, but who he considers immediately when that term is mentioned.

"Ma!"

"What?" Camellia shrugs. "You're an attractive and successful young man--"

Artemis leans over the table, shoveling food in his mouth like he assumes constant chewing will block out the blitz of compliments.

"Anyone would be incredibly lucky to be with you! You need to have more confidence in yourself. Oh, what about Maggie? You've been friends with her since you were kids and she's such a sweet girl. She'd make a wonderful wife and mother--"

"We're only friends," Artemis interrupts. "And I... I'm just not interested in any of that yet."

"Uh huh." The disbelief in Camellia's tone informs Artemis that she suspects he's very interested in "that stuff" and "that stuff" meaning sex in particular. Which, okay, he is interested, but also terrified and... and he can't. He just can't.

"So be it. I won't push anymore. It's your birthday, so I want you to enjoy it. Make sure to eat up." Camellia smiles, but it's there; a darkness in her eyes.

Will she ever wake up from this spell? If she does, will she resent Artemis even more?

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:✧*⋆.*:・゚✧.: ⋆*・゚: .⋆ ☾