Chapter Fifteen: Doubt

"You do realize what you've done? You must know that you can't run off like that, especially given your situation." Alta was livid, but I couldn't blame her. She said that if I wished to go somewhere with John all I had to do was get her permission.

At least she hadn't caught him that morning. He had left me a little note...but I found it inside my shirt when I woke up. Luckily I found it before it fell out when I went to see Alta. "I'm sorry...it won't happen again."

"So where were you then anyway?"

"He took me to a party. It was only a few people. We really just talked."

She handed me the breakfast she had prepared. "I want hear what he is like from you. If I ask around to my friends I'm sure that I will get a rather unique point of view on him."

I wanted to be honest with her.  I told her everything from the beginning.  How I was afraid of him, and the whole letter scheme and his honesty with me.  When we went on our date and he didn't wear his leather because it made me nervous.  When I stayed over and he let me borrow his sweater, which was one of the most comfortable things I had ever felt.  When he had pulled me into this house, into my bed...

I didn't mention that part, even though it almost slipped out.  

"You think about him often.  I can tell.  He seems like a lovely boy."  There was a knock on the door, and Ariel peeked out the window to see who it was.  "He's here."

"Go with him.  But be home before supper or I won't be as lenient next time."  

"Thank you, Alta."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concidentally, the woman was having her friends over that day, and as they all talked quietly to each other, one of them asked about Ariel.  "I was hoping she would be here today.  I would have liked to meet her."  Two others chimed in about her too.  Most of the small talk stopped as they waited for Alta's response.  

"She's going steady with a boy from school; they left about an hour ago.  Ariel is happier now than she ever was.  At least, for as long as I've known her."  

"What's his name?  Would we know him?" the first friend asked.  

Alta swallowed hard, worrying what they were going to say, however she was curious on their opinions.  "John Lennon."  

Not many of them knew him, until one woman gasped.  "You best keep her away from him!  He broke my little Stacy's heart!  The only reason that we didn't have him locked away was because the constable's daughter put in good word...he's fooled around with her more than once."  As other women voiced their distrust of some of the teenagers in their neighborhood, Alta's stomach began to churn.  Ariel wouldn't lie to her about John, would she?

The woman who's outburst disturbed her whispered to her quietly before she went to powder her nose.  "I'd be worried about her.  I read what happened to her in the papers...I'd be afraid that he might do what her father did again."  The thought made her nearly drop her teacup.  Her hands trembled so hard she had to hold them together so her guests wouldn't notice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was an abnormally warm day, and before they left she changed into lighter clothing.  Though it wasn't something most girls did, she wore trousers when she went with him, but John loved it.  She had to keep his hand that rested on her back from wandering too far down, however.  

They went walking to a park, and as they sat on one of the benches, the sprinklers went off to water the grass, as there hadn't been rain in a week or so and it was getting quite warm.  The water hit them directly, and Ariel shouted in surprise.  They weren't the only ones who were.  A couple of children ran and played around in streams of water.  She looked over at John, and immediately knew she was in trouble when his smile grew big and he grabbed her arm.  

"Wait, John!  John!"  

But they were already soaked with water, slipping on the now wet grass and tumbling to the ground.  His blue shirt was stained green but he was laughing as she struggled to stand.  However he pulled her back down so she landed on him.  He kissed her damp cheek and didn't seen to care that they were in the middle of a public park.  She kissed him too...but wished they were alone.  Ariel let out a small sigh as one of his fingers played with a belt loop on her trousers.  

"Let's go to Stu's house to get cleaned up," he said quietly.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John's friend wasn't home, but that obviously did not affect his decision to come inside.  He ushered Ariel in, and pulled her down on the couch, not caring that their clothes were damp and chaffing.  Kissing her feverishly, he whispered, "You're so beautiful...I want to kiss you all over."  

He was fiddling with the belt loops again, but then something happened.  I snapped.  Suddenly I was scratching at his face and crying out.  "No!  Leave me alone!"  

"Ariel, it's me!  Stop it!"  

He caught her hands as she began to cry.  "I'm sorry...I want to, John...I just don't feel safe.  I feel like my father's watching."

John held her close.  "I promise you that you couldn't be safer.  The police are looking for him...and why would he come here if he was looking for you?"  Searching for her frantic gaze, he said, "Is it not just this reason?  Is there something else?"

"I'm a little embarrassed."

"Why?"

The blush grew on her cheeks.  "I...I don't know...if you'd like me when we..."  John kissed her cheek slowly.  She in turn kissed his.  "How could I judge?  You've seen the worst of me."  He pressed his lips gently to her neck as she stroked his dark hair.  "I highly doubt that you have a worst...I'd say it's more your wildest side."  

He slid his hand up her stomach, causing her to sigh.  

"I'm afraid you haven't seen much yet."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John hurried me back home as quick as he could, as it was about supper hour and he didn't want me in trouble.  Alta's guests were still there, and when they saw John, opinions immediately formed.  I watched as they scowled and whispered to each other.  Especially when they saw that his shirt was misbuttoned, and I  fixed it for him.  

"I'm sorry."  

"It's alright."

As Alta began to wrap up her party, I led went into the kitchen.  "Really...I should have noticed that my shirt wasn't right..."  He bit his lip.  "Now she'll be suspicious, and her friends will think you're trouble."

"What does it matter?" I was nose to nose with him, feeling wonderful and safe after the time we spent at Stu's house.  "They aren't as important to me as you are.  They'll never be...as amazing as you are."  

He was kissing her against the counter before one of her friends walked in and he said he must go.