Chapter Twenty-One: "My Boyfriend's Back...And You're Gonna Be In Trouble."

I waited at the train station for John to arrive.  Aunt Mimi asked me to bring him straight home as soon as I saw him.  She was preparing for company but wanted to see her nephew immediately.  

"Oh my God..." A voice close by me said.  I turned quickly to find John with his knapsack and guitar case, and hurried to him.  He hugged me tight.  "Oh my God...I missed you."  He kissed me all over, causing a few people near us to look rather scandalized.  It looked like a scene from a movie, in which John had just came back from World War II and I, his doting lover, was relieved to see him alive.  

"I missed you too."  I let go of him briefly to playfully squeeze his shoulder.  "Your aunt is dying to see you.  We have to hurry.  She made me promise that you'd see her as soon as possible."

"Ariel...this boy you were talking about...who is it?  And the boys who confronted you, what did they say to you?"

"Can we talk about this later?"

"No, because this was the main reason I cut this Germany tour short.  I want to know now."  

I began to feel guilty.  "Oh, John...I'm sorry.  He recognized me from school; a boy named Robby.  He works at the library and he's nothing more than a friend, John."  Her boyfriend suddenly looked a bit nervous among his obvious displeasure.  She wanted to ask why, but decided that it would be easier to just answer his questions.  She wouldn't forget that look though.  "They....they told me that my dad didn't do enough damage...you know...down there, to keep you from wanting to have me."  

He gently kissed my forehead, which felt more passionate than any kiss that he had given me that day.  "You don't believe those assholes at all, do you?"

"I want to think so."

"You shouldn't believe them.  Even if you didn't even have a 'down there' I'd still love you.  Let's go see my aunt, love."  

"Alright."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We had tea with his aunt, and I tried to help her clean up afterwards.  But she ushered me away to go help John unpack his things.  I went up to John's room.  

"I wanted to ask you about something, love." I said, as calmly as I could.

"Yes?"

"When I mentioned Robby, you looked like you knew him already.  Is there a reason why you don't like him?"

"I don't like him because he's hitting on you as if he believes I'm nonexistent.  And he should know that I am indeed real, the little prick.  End of story."

Ariel jumped on that small bit of information.  "Why would he know you're real?  Did you do something to him?"

"I don't want to talk about him, Ariel."

"But I do.  I told you what you wanted to know, so you owe me some answers."  I grabbed his shoulder so he would look at me.  "Please." I added.  He set his bag down and looked me in the eyes.  "Once upon a time, I was a bit like the boys you met the other day.  I was cruel, and I'm trying my best to be better.  I know it's better for me and for you.  But during this school year, I decided to be cruel and with the help of my friends, the ones which I now choose to avoid, beat up the poor geeky Robby.  We destroyed the science project he was working on, causing him to fail the assignment.  And at the time, I felt no remorse.  But now...I feel awful, my dear.  I...I don't know how else to say this."

"You're cruel," I muttered.

"What?"

"You're cruel.  You still say it as if it was funny.  You presented it as a humorous story.  I don't know if you forgot but I was beat up once too and it wasn't pleasant."

John looked broken.  "Ariel, I'm a better person now, please-"

"I need to go."

He held my waist and leaned in to kiss me.  I resisted.  "I need to be alone for a little while."  He said that he'd been alone for several weeks and just wanted to be with me that night.  "I can't.  John, I'm sorry, I need some time to think."  

He looked as though he wanted to cry.  "To think?  About what?"

"About...things.  Please, John, I promise I'll see you soon."

He swallowed hard, and looked down at the bag he had.  Reaching inside, to the very bottom, he pulled out a shoe box.  "I...I'm sorry that I couldn't wrap it better, but I hope you accept it.  I'm sorry, Ariel."

And with that, I left.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I said a quiet hello to Sean before hurrying to my room, still carrying John's shoe box.  I put it at the edge of my bed, watching it as if it would move if I didn't stare.  I kept all of John's notes; I hid them beneath my bed.  I read them carefully, thinking about what happened with Robby.  

After an hour, I decided to open the shoe box.  

Inside were postcards, notes, scraps of German newspaper and pictures of their band.  All of them were tucked underneath a blue scarf.  And then folded inside the blue scarf was a special note.  

Ariel,

I know it's warm(er) because it's the summer, but it's bound to get colder soon.  And the band has a possibility of going back to Germany for longer when it starts to get cold.  I bought you this thick scarf and put a bit of my cologne on it so you can keep warm and smell me when I'm not there.

Hopefully you like the way I smell.  And that you won't mind if people stare at you thinking you were just snogging me...or that you were being the promiscuous girl you always are.  

I'm joking, my dear.  

I'm so glad to be home with you.  I could have used a scarf with your scent on it, as Germany was cold without you. 

Clutching the scarf close, I inhaled deeply, and it did smell like him.  "Oh, God, I love you.  I know you've made mistakes in the past; I know you're not proud of that.  I forgive you.  But...I still want to be friends with Robby."

At that time, Sean opened the door to my room unannounced.  "There's someone at the door for you."

I smiled, thinking it was John.  I hurried out with the scarf wrapped around my neck several times, which felt soft and warm.  But my smile faded when I saw who was at my door.  More specifically, what had happened to the person at the door.  

Robby was there, with a black eye and bloody lip.  His trousers were torn at the knee and one of his shirt sleeves were gone.  "Oh my God..." she gasped.  

He was practically swaying on his feet.  "They covered my eyes...but...it sounded like John."