Chapter Six: "You're Such A Beautiful Girl..."

I woke up peacefully the next morning.  We were in one of the house's bedrooms, and I felt rather cozy and tired in the soft blankets.  Then I turned to find John next to me, still sleeping.  

Then I freaked out.  

John sat up.  "Ariel...Ariel, quiet down!  What's wrong?" he said, taking me in his arms, but I pushed him away.  I stood up, straightening out my bed.  "I have to go.  This is horrible.  This was all wrong.  My father will kill me if he finds out I was lying next to a teddy boy..."

He suddenly got angry.  "Of course, it's all about your father, isn't it?  It's all about what I look like and what I act like, all my fault!"  He got up and threw the covers back on the bed.  "Come on, I'll walk you home."

"No!" I said, pulling away from him once more.  "You've gotten me into enough trouble already; I don't need you!"  To my surprise, John had a look of genuine hurt on his face.  I didn't know I could do that to him.  "John-"

"Go then!  See if I care!" he shouted.  I ran down the stairs and out the backdoor.  I could hear John calling my name, wanting me to stop, but I had no choice but to keep going.  My father would be livid when I got home.  He would immediately suspect I had snuck out.  What if I was never able to see John-

No, I don't need him.  I don't need that dirty, greasy-haired leather-clad teddy boy.  He's no good, and full of sin, even though he has strong arms, soft skin and lips...

John was following me from a few blocks behind, but stopped when I neared my house.  Father was waiting for me at the door.  I prayed John would run away before myt father glanced down the street.  

He was angry, and without warning, he struck my cheek.  I was mortified, knowing John had seen.  Father led me inside.  "Where were you?"  

I had tears in my eyes. "I was out for a walk.  I'm sorry.  I should have left a note."  

"I was worried sick about you!  I had to miss church this morning because of your negligence!"  Then my father seemed to calm slightly.  "You no longer have permission to use the radio.  There are a list of chores for you to complete in the kitchen.  You will not leave this house today.  Get to work."  

It took me two hours to do all the work he wanted, and when I returned to my room, I found a piece of paper on my windowsill.  Taking it, I nearly broke down.  

How can you let him treat you like that?  He hit you, and in front of your neighbors, too.  

If he ever does that again and I see, I'll give him a good row.  You cannot hit someone who cannot fight back.  He should not be hitting you, Ariel.  

Then I felt hands on my shoulders from behind, and I dropped the note.  "Please...don't be afraid.  I just don't want you hurt.  He's dangerous."  

"He's just protective, John." I whispered, hoping I wouldn't sound as frightened as I really was.  When I was young I always believed my father had good intentions, no matter how much I missed out on.  It was alright that I had never had anyone over at my house before because my father said so.  The first time I had slept in someone else's house that wasn't a family member was at Stu's with John.  

And I ruined it by running away.  

"So am I, but I do not punish my loved ones if I was worried about them." John replied.  I couldn't look at him.  I was too embarrassed.  But he kissed my cheek, and took my hand in his, but let it rest on my leg.  "I'm sorry about this morning, love.  I should have walked me home when you wanted me to."  When he noticed my teary expression, he said, "Love, please don't cry.  I'm sorry."