Chapter Nineteen: A Realization

Before I left from Ella's house that day, her brother told me good morning.

He said he was keeping an eye out for my father. I appreciated the thought, however I hadn't thought about him all that night, and then felt paranoid walking back to Alta's house.

Sean took my things from me at the door, happy that I was there. Alta asked me if it was fun, how late I stayed up, if I needed breakfast and many other questions. "You look so tired."

"We did stay up quite late."

"You should take a quick nap before lunch."

"Actually...I meant to go to the library. I wanted to find a book or two to read."

Alta eyed me for a moment, as though she was reading my thoughts to see if I was lying. Then she nodded. "Don't be out for so long. I get nervous with you walking about this city alone."

She thought I was safe with John.

Oh, John...I miss you.

I wondered what he was up to then. Germany was an hour ahead of England, so she assumed he would be finishing lunch and going to a show.

I would learn that John barely had time to eat on this tour.

My thoughts ran wild about him as I walked to the library. I felt as though I would go slightly mad. He had only been gone for about a day now, and I couldn't stop thinking about him!

When I made it to the library, I was quickly noticed by Robby, who was shelving books in the cases closest to the entrance. "Hi, Ariel!" he said excitedly, and was hushed by the librarian. He shrank a little. "Hi." he whispered.

"Hello," I smiled.

"I...I'll finish this cart, and then I'll help you. I-I thought of some books I thought you would enjoy last night."

I had never seen someone shelve books so fast. The librarian gave both of us a look.

Robby led me over to one of the tables, and hurried back and forth between the shelves and me. Eventually there was a pile of about fifteen books, all different in both thickness and genre. He gave me detailed explanations of each story, and accidentally spoiled one. He felt bad, but I assured him it was fine.

In the end, I chose three: two mystery and a romance. Before I was going to leave, Robby squeaked, "Ariel?"

"Yes?"

"I-I'm off work now...can you...um...would you like to go for a walk? With me?"

"Oh...sure."

That day was a bit colder than the ones previous, and I pulled my sweater tighter around my body. I had stashed the books in a bag Alta had loaned me. I tried to make conversation, as Robby seemed too shy to. "What else do you like to do besides read?"

"I love films. I love watching them...and I've made a few short ones with my friends. I'd love to be a director...but my father thinks differently."

I sighed. "I know the feeling."

"What's your father like?"

Doesn't he know what happened? I thought everyone knew...

"I don't really feel like talking about him...he's not a part of my life anymore."

Robby began to stutter once more. "I...I'm sorry, I-I didn't mean to offend you, Ariel." I assured him that he didn't know, and it was alright. He asked me what I liked to do with my friends.

"I actually have only just started to have friends...I'm a very shy person normally. I like reading, writing...and I've found an appreciation for music, especially because of my friend John. Well, actually...we're more than friends. But he's away now in Germany."

"...Oh."

———————————————————————————

Robby didn't understand. What would a sweet, kind girl like Ariel want to do with someone as harsh and rude as John Lennon?

Because he's handsome. Girls go for the handsome boys, even if they're ugly on the inside.

Ariel didn't seem like the type that only cared about looks though.

John must not have told her what he was like before they met.

Should Robby tell her what her precious steady did to him?

He knew it was dangerous hanging around her. When John came back he'd be in trouble.

But how was he supposed to know that he cared for Ariel enough to come back? He'd come back to Liverpool...but to Ariel? What if John was in Germany going around with other girls?

"He's helped me through a lot...he's my best friend."

There were voices up ahead. Robby recognized them. Bullies from school. All of them were about six inches taller than he was and had twice the muscle. Ariel seemed to grow nervous too.

They cat-called at both of them. She stayed silent, and fiddled with something in her bag.

The two boys crossed the street in order to meet them. "Don't give them any attention," she said quietly to Robby. He moved slightly closer to her, pitifully hoping they wouldn't notice him.

"Haven't seen you around in awhile," one said to Robby. They blocked their way. Ariel's heart began to race.

"Let us pass." she said. They didn't seem to notice she was there until she spoke. One of them raised an eyebrow. "Aren't you Lennon's bird?" An evil grin grew on his face. "Your father didn't do enough damage down there to keep John from having you, did he?" Robby looked shocked. Ariel thought she might snap.

Suddenly the other one pushed Robby to the ground and the smart-mouth went for her. She made use of what she held in her hand. Holding the knife out, she growled, "Don't touch me." The silent one went for Robby again, and Ariel cut his hand. He winced in pain. "You stupid bitch-"

"Do you want another?"

Even though they could have overpowered them, they left, growling obscenities and swearing revenge. Ariel tucked the knife away and helped Robby from the ground. "Are you alright?"

"...Y-yes...fine...where did you get that?"

"John gave it to me before he left...he was scared that something might happen to me when he wasn't there..." Suddenly she began to cry. Robby was confused. "I'm sorry," she said, "So much has happened that you don't know about...I'm terrified of men like that..."

Then Robby connected what the one boy said to her mysterious tears and to the knife to protect herself.

"Oh my God...Ariel...I'm so sorry. I-I had no idea."

"My father's on the run...people are trying to find him, but John was afraid that I'd be confronted when he wasn't there, so he gave me this. I can't believe I used it...it goes against everything I believe."

Suddenly Robby gathered all of his bravery and put it into one simple action.

He embraced Ariel.

"I'm so sorry, Robby..."

"It's alright...I'll walk you home."