Part 27 - Intravenous Agony

"You ready for this?" Sonny glanced at Jase with concern, yet nothing on his comrade's face suggested he was struggling. Sonny knew the expression; hard set features, limited eye contact to prevent the brain from registering any unwanted emotions. Sonny understood he was probably the least skilled in this particular area, but Jase had an at times frightening ability to switch off to get the job done. 

Jase ignored Sonny's question and assessed the contents of a small metal case, ensuring everything was intact. "Take her to the end room," he ordered coolly. "Don't talk to her." Sonny tipped his head in acknowledgement and headed for the small cell room, privately wondering what temperament they'd all have to suffer from Jase after this assignment was over. 

Ryan was stood dutifully outside Paige's room, an irrelevant position seeing it would have been impossible for her to leave the compound. His being posted there was more to inspire the mental angst of knowing there was always somebody outside watching you, of knowing they could come in at any moment. Sonny clapped Ryan on the arm to signal his involvement. 

"No talking, you got that? We're taking her to the big room," Sonny said in a hushed tone. 

"Where al-Raheem was?" Ryan frowned. He knew the British girl had something of interest to them, but he didn't think they would have to actually hurt her. Moving her to the same room her previous captor had been held and tortured in seemed a little twisted, even to him. 

"Just open the door," Sonny ordered, deeply irritated by the line of questioning. It didn't sit well with him either, but moving a prisoner had important psychological significance. It said there was a change in their position, and that things were about to get a lot worse. Ryan pushed the door open, surprised to see Paige standing upright for once. He'd only ever seen her huddled in the furthest corner against the wall, as though she wished she could sink back into the concrete and disappear. 

Sonny resisted the urge to say something, to explain what the next move was and alleviate some of her concern. He wished he could give her the opportunity to walk the several steps to the adjacent room herself, but he knew as much as Jase did that interrogation was a cleverly prepared show; each form of contact just as important as the questioning itself. He had to play his role too. The Southerner strode towards Paige with an easy gait, the clearly petrified young woman saying nothing, staring ahead to the doorway with wide glassy eyes. Sonny seized her arm, nearly touching finger to thumb around the circumference as he yanked her slightly. He needn't have bothered, she wouldn't have put up a fight. 

The little party began it's procession out of the door and down the corridor. It was barely six strides for Sonny and Ryan, but it felt like a great deal longer. Sonny glanced across to Paige out of the corner of his eye. Her blue eyes, shattered and puffy from crying, were fixated on the bolted door ahead of them. She had no idea what lay for her on the other side.

                                                                                       *

I stood upright at the sound of the outer door opening and footsteps in the hall. This was it. Ant's stern pep talk had woken me up somewhat, but it didn't shake the fear and desperate exhaustion. I just wanted it to be over, and yet at the same time thinking about returning to normality and everyday life seemed more petrifying than everything I'd faced. 

The door scraped open, Sonny and another of his men entering with expressionless faces. Would they do it here? Was it the two of them? Had Jase delegated the job? Sonny strode towards me with a disinterested swagger, perhaps I was now the dirty work they all begrudged having to do. I looked straight ahead to the doorway as his figure reached me, eyes fixed on the dimly lit hallway, so wide I could feel them beginning to water in discomfort. Despite having given myself stern words of encouragement, the sensation of Sonny's calloused hand forming a shackle around my arm made my heart leap into my throat. I could hear my heartbeat drumming faster and faster in my chest, hands trembling fiercely. I gripped the fabric of my trousers for some kind of stability as Sonny nudged me out into the corridor.