Part 51 - Impulsive Mistake

"How're you feeling, doll? You get a touch of sun stroke?" Marlene clicked her tongue as she sucked a sweet.

"Flu bug, only lasted a few days, I'm fine," I smiled hastily. "Thanks."

"Ooh that's good, so you'll still make it to Nicky Rotten's later tonight?" A vague recollection of a conversation flittered by in my mind. It was... retirement drinks, no, engagement drinks-

"Missing my birthday celebration is considered a very serious offence here, just so you know. Gloria, Barbs, Maria, Celia, they're all coming. Nicky Rotten's is the best night out on the island, probably more for you young things than us old gals. Lots of the young hip crowd," she swayed her hips and laughed heartily.

"Sounds fun," I grinned. "Do you need to know for the reservation? I have to see..."

"You check with your man, honey, that's okay," Marlene flipped her hand and wandered back to her desk. She had never asked me about Jase, not properly. She'd made comments before, a giggle about my chauffer, a passing exclamation of lust when he'd come inside to use the bathroom, but never any questions. I thought perhaps she assumed I was in some kind of controlling relationship, not entirely untrue by any means. But she seemed to understand it somehow, not being phased by his timely pick ups, drop offs or watchful presence when he had to wait.

Drinks, unchaperoned, off the base... there was a lurch of anxiety as I contemplated it. It would only be unchaperoned if Jase was unaware I had left, not entirely unfeasible now he was intent on separating himself from me as much as possible. I'd wanted to confront him yesterday after the conversation with Lorres, and ask him why he'd kept the proposal from me. But as usual, as soon as I began to speak within the confines of the car he shut me down, disinterestedly stating we'd talk about it back at the apartment. The moment never came. His phone rang the second we got in the door and I didn't see him for the rest of the day. I stuck to my room, doing a light work out, reading a little and watching TV. He stuck to his room, the shared space utterly deserted with neither one of us willing to be in contact with the other. I felt oddly lonely, more than ever. His suffocating presence was isolating, sure, but I'd grown to take comfort in knowing somebody else was there, present in mind and body. Now, aloof and absent, he'd found new ways to ensure I felt uncomfortable.

The working day drew to a close early, Marlene eager to leave and ready herself.

"Seven o'clock doll, if I see you there I see you there, you won't miss us," she winked and trotted out of the building. When Jase arrived, prompt as ever, we shared no small talk and let the buzz of the radio fill the silence between us. The drive back was quick again, the diversions had lengthened our morning commute and made the afternoon one significantly easier. If there are no phone interruptions, you're going to ask him, I reminded myself, his unwillingness to pass on an important opportunity for me had festered in my brain, I was becoming more and more cross about it.

As we concealed ourselves in the solitude of the apartment I seized the opportunity before he could stalk off to his room for a shower, knowing once he holed himself in there it was likely I wouldn't catch him again.

"Why didn't you pass on Lorres' offer about the analyst position?" I asked, my pitch firm and strong. Jase stopped as he reached the kitchen, a near invisible sigh escaping his lips.

"Because it's a bad idea," he stated flatly, his voice low and bored. He looked at me for a moment, the first time I think since before I'd projectile vomited an emotional outburst in front of him.

"For whom?" I challenged, fixing an expression of mock confusion across my face.

"We're not going to do this-"