|P U R E B L O O D B A L L|

—A FEW WEEKS PASSED, AND IT WAS NOW THE DAY OF THE PUREBLOOD BALL

A FEW WEEKS PASSED, AND IT WAS NOW THE DAY OF THE PUREBLOOD BALL. This year, it was being hosted in Black manor.

The Pureblood ball was usually for Pureblood parents looking for another Pureblood to get their heirs/heiresses betrothed to. The kids usually started to attend when they were 13-17.

Rigel had skipped the last one, because he didn't want to go. However, since it was now the Black family's turn to host, he had no choice.

"Come in." Rigel said when someone knocked on the door, not looking away from the mirror.

The door opened. Remus Black walked in, a smile forming on his face as he saw his 14-year-old son tying his tie.

"Need help with that?"

"No, thank you." replied Rigel, finally done with his tie.

Remus nodded and walked over to the mirror, looking at his reflection.

Sirius walked in at that moment, wearing a plain black suit, like his husband and son were wearing.

"Looking good, Mr. Black." Remus smirked at his reflection.

"I know." Sirius smugly said.

"I was talking to myself." Remus winked, making Rigel fake-gag.

••

"What did we say, Siri?" Rigel tried reminding him just before the family of three walked into the ballroom.

"You're not ready for a betrothal yet." Sirius reluctantly repeated. He actually wanted Rigel to get betrothed, thinking it might make his son slightly happier if he had someone.

"Good." Rigel nodded.

Remus opened the door, the three of them walking into the ballroom filled with Pureblood families, while the teenagers were slow-dancing to songs, trying to meet each other.

Rigel winced. "This is the most awkward thing ever."

"I agree." A voice said, making him turn around.

Tom sucked in a sharp breath at the sight of Rigel in a suit. He didn't know why his heart started beating a little bit faster than usual.

Rigel stayed quiet, sighing when Remus and Sirius had to go greet the others, meaning he was left with Tom.

"Rigel?" Tom asked, walking over to him.

Rigel hummed questioningly, not looking away from the people that were slow-dancing.

"Could you give me a chance to prove that I'm not like you think I am? For some strange reason, your opinion.. matters.. to me."

Rigel looked away and looked at Tom in complete and utter confusion.

"I am just as confused as you are." Tom admitted, shrugging.

"Only if you promise to leave me alone."

"Deal."

Rigel nodded, taking a glass of firewhiskey that was floating around. "Well, now that that's settled, I better try to hide just incase some rich heiress tries to come— oh, shit." He said, looking at the girl that was coming over.

Tom frowned in confusion, but let out a laugh as Rigel gave the glass of firewhiskey to him and walked through the many families in order to hide.

"Where did he go?" The girl asked in confusion when she finally reached him.

Tom shrugged, taking a sip of the firewhiskey. "I think he just went to the hospital." He blurted out the first thing that came to his mind, internally slapping himself for coming up with such a bad lie.

"Ho-.. hospital?" The girl asked in shock, her face screwing up in confusion as well. "Well, I guess I can dance with you."

"Such a bad sprained ankle he had. He'll probably see you around, but I won't. Goodbye." Tom said and walked away, leaving the girl huff in offense.

"Hospital?" A voice scoffed in disbelief, making him look at Rigel, who was looking at him as if he were stupid. "You have had 70 years of lying experience, and that's what you come up with?"

"I'm 17, goddamit!"

"Yeah, and I'm 4." Rigel sarcastically said, snatching the glass out of an offended-looking Tom's hands.

••

Rigel walked out of the ballroom, wanting some air. He walked out to the backyard, sitting by the pool.

A few minutes later, someone putting a hand on his shoulder made him jump and pull out his wand, pointing it to the person's neck in a second.

"Woah," Tom raised his hands up. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"You didn't scare me." scoffed Rigel, sitting back down. "I just hate being touched, that's all."

"I apologize. I'll keep that in mind." Tom said, sitting next to him.

Rigel hummed, not answering.

They stayed like that in silence, both of them enjoying the comfortable peace, watching the sunset.

They both simultaneously looked at each other, looking alarmed as they realized something:

—They had something in common!

Rigel sneered, looking disgusted with himself, while Tom had a small smirk and shook his head fondly.