Afraid

She didn't think he was afraid of anything, but of course, she was wrong.Fluff

word count: 1172

Afraid

It'd taken him far too long to open up, even moreso to speak on matters that dealt with his heart, but eventually, he found the ease needed to reveal more about himself, so long as the other person at the end of the conversion was the (h/c) haired young woman now sitting beside him.

It'd happened by chance, where a single lonesome night from a distant memory marked their first meeting,

"It's you..." She said with wide eyes, gazing at him with obvious surprise.

'Of all people,' She thought to herself, wondering if somehow, it had been fated.

'Is this some sort of sign?' She mindlessly wondered.

"Oh, were you expecting anyone else?" He asked her, moving to stand beside her, basking under the same moonlight she did, soon being gracefully touched by the same chilly breeze.

"No," She admitted, shaking her head with a little airy giggle of amusement,

'And that's what's so funny about it,' She inwardly mused, 'You're just the person I wanted to see...' She went on.

" It's just that, I was just thinking of you," she revealed to him, and the sudden, daring admittance made him chuckle, "Oh really?" He questioned her, doubting her, because he was no one to her, and vise versa.

They were just strangers, strangers who inhabited the same space and occasionally said a word or two to each other.

"Yeah," She muttered, noticing the dismissive way he brushed her comment aside, obviously not believing her.

'Is it that so strange?' She wondered, 'Do you really think that no one here worries?' She wondered, knowing that of course it'd all been a rocky start, but it was understandable given the circumstances he was introduced with.

It wasn't an immediate welcome, but a gradual one, one she'd hoped he took notice of, but apparently, wasn't so clear in the long run.

" Honestly, I've been wondering about how you're feeling," She confessed, and as she said that, he looked down at her with narrowed eyes, trying to see if she had any aim, anything that was a giveaway to an ulterior motive, but he found none.

Instead, he found honest (e/c) colored eyes staring back at him, the woman that possessed them waiting with a friendly expression that had welcome written all over it.

"- Well enough," He answered back, soon taking his eyes off of her, instead, occupying himself with gazing up at the starless sky, and she would have followed up, but somehow, she felt it fitting to fall into silence. relaxing aside him, silently admiring his beauty and calm.

He didn't seem to mind, and she took it as a loose invitation to stay.

'No reason to leave right?' She asked herself, enjoying the moment instead, not wanting to go back just yet.

There hadn't been any words in exchange at first, only long quiet moments filled with company that later on turned into mindless idle talk that finally evolved into true conversations.

Little jokes and musings turned into childhood memories, and long days were relieved by those simple, simplistic talks, all to a point that eventually, the meaninglessness had gained importance in both thier minds.

He knew he could trust her, confide in her all of the little things that, until then, he'd kept silent, and the very idea was lovely to him because, before her, he felt that he was alone.

"- When I discovered my parentage, I was afraid." The dark-haired male admitted with a soft, forlorn smile gracing him, his eyes touched with a mist of sadness that dimmed the glowing emeralds.

The sudden topic stunned her, and slowly, as she took in his words and let them saturate, she found herself wondering,

"Afraid?" (f/n) breathed softly, her (e/c) colored eyes drawing up to his lovely face, eyeing him attentively, capturing the vulnerable look that tenderized her heart furthermore.

'You?' She mused, not having thought it possible.

" - Deeply frightened, " he breathed, his smile still touched with sorrow that still remained.

"Of what?" she asked him, soon, inching her hand closer to his, before overlapping it, the action causing his entire face to grow warmer.

'You can tell me,' She silently encouraged him, attentively listening, though having one thing to admit,

" I didn't think you'd be afraid of anything, " she said while smiling, truthfully admitting to him that all in all, she'd always thought of him as fearless.

' What could you be afraid of?' She wondered.

And at that, he brought his eyes down to hers, the (e/c) colored eyes connected with his before his other hand moved to caress her cheek, the touch both light and sweet as it was executed.

" You Think the world of me... don't you?" he asked her with realization, looking down at her as though she were a newly discovered treasure.

Not answering, she blushed, both the touch and realization affecting her.

'I think so,' She accepted.

'I mean, you're not perfect,' She reasoned. ' I know you aren't. I've caught enough of the real you to know that. But even then, I can't help but think so highly of you,' She thought with featherlight amusement.

'I don't really know why,' She then added.

"Silly girl...." He said while beginning to lean down, stopping himself just a hair strand away from her lips,

'Wait, what am I-'

Mid-way though he stopped, the sudden instinct to lean into her broken by his better senses and reasoning that slowly flooded in after the instinct.

He felt foolish before he realized that she had taken it upon herself to meet him the rest of the way, and at that, he instantly melted, the doubt that had settled over him slowly dying out.

"Loki.." She said softly, worriedly peering up at him, "Just what are you so afraid of?" She then asked him, her heart aching at his hesitance.

'It was unexpected...but doesn't it fill you with the same excitement?' She wondered while a sleeping part of her was roused out of it's slumber.

He then took a moment to reflect upon the question, racking his mind on what was most important, and what much more, had haunted him throughout their time together,

'If I come and find this spot empty,' He started, not wanting to share a night with anyone else. 'I know I wouldn't find rest,' he continued, all while looking down at her.

'I know you could never be replaced,' he then added, 'So, of course, I'm afraid,' He mused.

' was this bound to happen?' He wondered, letting the little, magnetic draw finally overwhelm him, and letting what needed to happen, just happen.

"Certainly not this," He murmured, his eyes slowly coming close before he lay a soft press to her awaiting lips.

"- Loki," She then said, "You can tell me anything, I'll stay and listen," She assured him.

'I'll hold your hand throughout all of it...and yet, still think the world of you.

After all...It's been you that I've been waiting for.'