•28•

The End

I felt the pain come from deep inside my stomach and force it's way out of my mouth into a scream as I held his body

I felt the pain come from deep inside my stomach and force it's way out of my mouth into a scream as I held his body. I looked at his brown eyes and felt nothing coming from him. None of the childlike wonder he always radiated. None of the happiness. None of the life. I placed my hand on his heart and I could feel the memories still. They were all there. Just none of the life.

I had a split second thought about killing myself. That's when what sounded like a single gunshot rang out but it was dozens of guns being fired at the exact same time. I watched as all the people with guns shot themselves in the head. The Hargreeves looked in horror at the scene but Diego was already by my side.

"Sunshine...," he whispered as he grabbed the hand that was soaked in the blood of a child.

"I have blood on my hands," I admitted looking down at the floor.

"We'll wash it off Vick—"

"Not his." I looked up at the dead bodies scattering the floor. I had just killed multiple people in one second.

"They were trying to kill us Sunshine. You acted out of self defense," Diego tried to reassure me but I shook my head.

"There were other ways. I could've made them happy," I cried as tear fell from my face.

"They were horrible people—"

"Look!" I yelled, launching myself to my feet. All around the room, memories started replaying. There was one for each body. I walking among the thoughts as if they were people in a crowd. I picked one at random. It was a man laughing at some unknown thing as he ate a sandwich. Then, a woman came up to him and started talking.

"Please. Stay for the baby. The commission can wait," she begged.

"He was never supposed to happen. They will hunt me down if I don't go back. But I promise, once I retire I'll come back. It's time travel, you won't even know I'm gone!"

I reached my hand up to touch the man, but I might as well have touched a cloud. The image scattered and faded along with the other memories I brought to life. "These were people. Living breathing people with personalities. Filled with good and bad choices. And I killed them all."

Diego placed two hands on my shoulders and forced me to look at him. "They've killed people too. Who knows what could've happened to them. At least you gave them the quickest and painless death they could have asked for."

I looked away from my husband and the bodies scattered around me. Then I looked at the Hargreeves. They all seemed amazed with a tinge of fear. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath. "He wasn't planning on coming back for the kid anyways. He had 7 of them," I realized as more of his memories forced their way into my head.

Diego smiled and placed a kiss on my forehead. "Let's win this fight and we can fall apart after," he whispered in my ear and I smiled, nodding in agreement. The two of us marched up to the rest of the group.