•3•

I'm An Idiot

"Oh hell no," I mumbled as I grabbed the handle and swung my door open

"Oh hell no," I mumbled as I grabbed the handle and swung my door open. Diego was already halfway down the hall. I yelled his name, but he didn't stop. Swearing under my breath I slammed my door shut and ran after him. As he stepped into the elevator, I stuck my hand in between the slowly closing doors. They opened back up and I stepped inside. Diego didn't acknowledge it, but that didn't stop me.

"Diego I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that," I gushed. His face remained stoic, staring straight at the wall. I walked up next to him and placed my hand on his shoulder.

I immediately felt like I got hit with a ton of bricks. I blinked and looked around. I was no longer standing in an elevator but rather I was outside the Umbrella Academy, sitting on the steps. I looked down and saw the flowers in my hands. My foot was tapping impatiently. And then I saw... myself. When I was fifteen. Young me was walking down the side walk, but I wasn't alone. A kid a little older than me was walking by my side. I instantly recognized him as Riley, my first boyfriend. I sat and watched as young me and Riley stopped at the street corner and began to kiss. The me that was sitting on the steps stood up, threw the flowers into the bushes, and ran inside the building.
Before I could even process what I just saw, I was back in the elevator, my hand still resting on Diego's shoulder. I pulled away from him and backed up against the opposite wall.

"I'm sorry," I squeaked. He just looked at me for the longest time.

It felt like an eternity before he finally spoke up. "I thought you didn't do that without permission," he accused, but there was a slightly more playful tone in his voice.

"I'm sorry, it's just that when you're really thinking hard about a memory I can't always help it. I don't even really realize I'm doing in until it's too late. Plus you know it's different with you," I poured out in a single breath. Diego just nodded.

"So now you know my secret," he smirked. I felt my heart flutter but I ignored it.

"Yeah well it's not very good," I sighed, nonchalantly leaning against the elevator wall.

"Is it not?" Diego smiled, making direct eye contact with me. I hated when he flirted with me; it always made my heart skip a beat.

"You kissed me on our 16th birthday, remember?" I tried to say as casually as I could.

"Wasn't that when I was on drugs?" he asked.

"You were as high as a kite," I laughed as the elevator doors opened. Neither of us stepped off.

"Yeah that was probably the worst day of my life," he admitted as he leaned over and pressed the button to go back up to my apartment.

"Damn was I that bad of a kisser?" I joked, expecting to get a smile back, but Diego just looked at the floor. It was a moment before he spoke again.