•2•

Diego Is Annoying

I woke up to the sound of my alarm going off

I woke up to the sound of my alarm going off. I rolled over and tried to slap the button to turn it off. Unfortunately, I had many failed attempts and was unable to to find it without opening my eyes. I sat up and grabbed my glasses off the nightstand, slamming then into my face. I reached over to the alarm clock and pressed the button to end the loud buzzing.
"Why do you have an alarm set for Saturday morning?" I heard a groan from on the floor beside me.

"You know you have your own place. I don't understand why you always crash at mine," I mumbled as I dragged myself out of bed. Diego was sprawled across the floor, blocking my path. I nudged him gently with my foot and he rolled out of my way. "You want breakfast?"

"You have Lucky Charms?" he asked as he sat up, following into my living room.

"No, you know I hate cereal," I yawned as he plopped on my couch, looking up at the ceiling. I walked into the kitchen and poured a cup of chocolate milk. I walked back into the living room, but Diego seemed to be staring very intently at the ceiling. "You okay?"

"I lost a fight."

"Like a fight fight or one of your vigilante fights?" I asked as I shoved the cup into his hands and sat next to him. He took a sip before answering.

"Vigilante fight," he confirmed before looking into his cup with an eyebrow raised, "I thought you hated chocolate milk."

"Yeah well since you beg for it every other week I figured I might as well just get some." Diego gave me a lopsided smirk before drinking more. That was the closest to a thank you I was going to get. "How'd you loose a fight? You're a superhero."

He took a long pause before answering. "I was thinking about Eudora." I sucked in a breath. The two had broken up a little over two months ago, but I knew he was still upset over it.

"Well," I shifted uncomfortably, "You guys are still friends though. I mean, I know seeing her might be painful but—"

"Don't be stupid I don't care about that," he growled, setting his cup pointedly on the coffee table, "We have two different ways of life I knew that it was doomed from the start." He took a pause, but I wasn't foolish enough to try and talk. I knew whenever he was stand-offish it was just better to let Diego wear himself out.
"I care about the fact that I was the reason that it ended. It was my fault. I'm the one who is a useless piece of shit who can't seem to help no matter what he does. I'm just- I'm just- I-I-I-I-I," he began to panic at the sudden return of his own stutter. I pulled myself close to him and placed my hands on his shoulders.

"Diego, look at me." He was looking towards the ground, silent. I moved my right hand under his chin and gave him a gentle nudge. He complied by looking upwards, his eyes meeting mine. "You're not useless. Whatever happened between you and Patch doesn't matter. It's in the past. You have to move on from that." His brown eyes were just boring into me. He grabbed my hand in his own and intertwined our fingers.