• 23 •

The first half of Sunday flew by for Aditi. She had decided to do some local site seeing of the city. She had purchased a few things from the markets. One of them being a shirt for Karan. It was the first time she had purchased a garment for him, she hoped he liked it. It was a pale light blue color. She thought it would look nice on him. 

After catching a nap in the evening, she decided to ring up Karan. From his messages in the morning it seemed like he had a cleaning day today. On second thoughts, she decided to cook dinner first and then call, lest she should be lazy later. 

Grooving to bollywood music, Aditi made an exotic dinner for herself. Lasagna. She could already hear Karan's cribbing voice when she told him that she had made lasagna for Sunday dinner. 

It was a little past seven when Aditi finally dialed his number. 

"Hey!" 

Aditi smiled instantly hearing his voice. It did something to her heart. Her smile faded hearing the music behind. 

"What are you listening to?"

"Uh, I don't know. Ayub was playing music." 

"Oh, having a boys night again?" Aditi asked curiously.

"Nah, not really. It was supposed to be... but then Natasha didn't agree so, it's well, a small get together party kind."

"At our home?"

"Yep! Ordered pizza and drinks."

"Wow," Aditi uttered. Her happy mood had turned sour. Why didn't he tell her about the party? No wonder, he was at home today, cleaning!

"Yeah, sort of happened suddenly. The sink is there, sorry. So yeah, it was supposed to be a small group but then ended up being fifteen people."

"Nice." Aditi said, trying to sound cheerful. 

"Karan, come on we're playing the dance challenge."  Came a voice from the other side. Aditi shut her eyes, irritated. It wasn't hard to guess that was Preeti. She had a peculiar way of saying 'Karan' with a long stretch of the K.

"Preeti, right?" Aditi found herself saying, as jealousy brewed.

"Yeah, wait a minute. Preeti, carry on, I will be there in two."

"What's this?" Came Preeti's voice. "I didn't know you were a suits fan."

"That's Aditi's cup!" Karan answered.

"Oh, understandable. Come soon babe!" She said.

Aditi heard a deep breath and then Karan's voice, "Adu, --"

"I think you should be a good host. I will talk to you later, tomorrow!" Aditi said softly. She didn't know why she felt hurt. 

"Are you pissed?" He asked.

"No, why would I be ... we'll talk later, okay. Bye! Have fun!"

"Cool, bye!" 

Aditi tossed her phone aside and grabbed the cushion, hugging it. Maybe, love was something else. This couldn't be love, could it? He was supposed to understand the unspoken if he loved her, right? She scoffed, angry at herself. She was Karan's wife not his lifeline that he wouldn't be able to exist without her. She always got hurt investing herself in other people, she didn't know why she thought Karan could be an exception. 

* * *

Monday passed awfully slowly. Karan had texted last night, but Aditi had put herself offline and dropped a text in the morning saying she was heading to office and would talk later. But truth was, she was still annoyed and didn't want to talk to him.