• 30 •

Karan had been loitering around the hall where the ring ceremony was to take place. Aditi's father had introduced him to some of the family members of the bridegroom and then he was just catching up with other people around. He excused himself deciding to go and check on Aditi. She'd obviously call if she needed help. Nonetheless he decided to go back to the room.

He was barely out of the hall when he received a call — Rahul!

"Hey!" He answered walking towards the lawn.

"You free?" Came the voice from the other end.

"Yep. Everything okay?"

"Yeah... just.. okay look, the other day, Preeti had dropped by at my place." Rahul spoke up.

Karan closed his eyes.

"She told me what happened. She had come to my place on the same night."

"Why?" Karan asked irked. Preeti and Rahul were not that close as friends, despite the fact that they had known each other for as long as they knew him. The three of them had been classmates since middle school.

"She said she didn't know, who else to talk to." Rahul answered.

"And you're telling me now... because?" Karan asked pissed.

"I am at the Hilton Cafe. She's here too. She looks pretty sad."

"It's been more than a week to it. And why are you calling me?"

"Dude! Preeti is and was your best friend. We barely got along. Yet, she came to me for company. I can't deal with emotional people. It's awkward. I don't know what to do so I called you. She's sitting alone."

Karan let out a sigh. "I don't know what's wrong with her."

"I just called because she matters to you."

"She doesn't, okay!" Karan muttered, annoyed. Taking a deep breath he spoke, "Okay, walk over to her table and talk to her. The only way she gets things out of her mind is by talking them out."

"Are you crazy? I am not taking to her. You call her or something. I just called to inform!"

"Quit saying that. You care for her."

"I don't care for her. I care for you. You should have thought before keeping your friendship with her. Being friends with your ex is like keeping back up. I had told you to end everything with her. She's super crazy!"

"Rahul! She is crazy, but she's not bad. She's just messed up. Just talk to her, will you? For me? And please, erase this out of her mind that she has a thing for me. It was never there before Aditi. I think she's just mistaking envy for something else. Please talk to her, will you?"

"Who are you kidding? Like seriously envy?"

"For the lack of better words." Karan said defensively. "Look that night, I didn't call her over, I didn't lead her on. I didn't do anything. Why blame me? Honestly, I don't want to even think about this..."

"Did you tell Aditi?"

"No. Are you mad? Tell her and then what? She's also going to end up thinking like you. There's nothing from my side except friendship for Preeti."

"You sure about that?"

"I love Aditi." Karan uttered.

"You barely know her. While Preeti has been your girl best friend since like ever. Look, this is the reason why I told you to keep your feelings off women. They're all crazy. And you're an absolute douche, to keep friendship with a woman you fucked!"