• 31 •

Distance is a reminder that every moment together is special. Aditi felt that. For once she was questioning whether it was worth giving the project priority over Karan. Maybe it was just the overwhelming emotions that seized her when she was around him. Perhaps, her heart was already depressed by just thinking about going away from him. 

His parents had canceled their visit to the resort at the last minute because of some business commitment his father was stuck in. His mother had called sometime back to give the sad news. Aditi was sort of relieved. She tried her best to love her mother-in-law as much as she loved Karan, but it wasn't possible. There vibes just didn't resonate.

She smiled, watching him laugh whike he was in a conversation with her cousin's husband. She loved the sound of his laughter it turned her heart into a guitar playing the most pleasing melody. Occasionally, he would glance at her, look at her with eyes that crinkled at the corners and twinkled with affection. 

They finally got some privacy during dinner. But that was soon gone as a group of her cousins came by and sat at the same table. She was amazed at how he almost pushed her into participating in the conversations by asking her opinions or throwing a heart melting one liner at her. 

"Stop making me smile and talk so much," she mumbled close to his ear, as her three cousins went to refill their plates.

"Adu, if you don't participate and catch attention, then you can't complain that you don't get enough attention."

Aditi looked at him, intently.

"Here you two are!" They were greeted by her mother. 

"Hey Maa!" She greeted with a smile. "Did you eat?"

"Yes, the daal tadka was too good." Her mother smiled sitting at the chair beside hers.

"Maa, but did you try this pasta?" Karam asked.

Aditi rolled her eyes. "He loves pasta irrespective of how it's made."

Her mother smiled.

"Oh, no way. Remember I tried making without cheese." He remarked.

Aditi chuckled, "you're an idiot!"

"Aditi!" Her mother reprimanded.

"Are, Maa, this is nothing. She calls me annoying, irritating, lazy bum, stupid, —"

"–Shut up!" Aditi muttered glaring at him.

Her mother began, "Aditi, why do you boss around? You shouldn't--" 

Karan added, "Yes. You should tell her. Imagine poor me...all the time on the phone I have to hear..."

"Liar!" Aditi accused.

"Oh, and that too!" Karan added, finding entertainment in riling her up.

Aditi whacked him on his arm. "Maa, he's lying."

"Thank God, for the distance otherwise ...you can see." Karan complained  secretly winking, letting his mother-in-law know that he was only pulling her daughter's leg.

"Aditi, this is not done. Apologize to him." His mother seemed to have joined the fun.

A smile broke out on Aditi's face as her mother's easy to read face gave away.

"You scold Paa too!" Aditi pointed out.

"Haaw!" Her mother looked taken aback. "Please."

"OK, only yesterday..." Aditi began.

"Anyway, forget all this. Where is your mother, Karan?" Aditi's mother effectively silenced Aditi, smartly changing the topic.

"Dad had a meeting which went on longer so they couldn't make it. They'll be here tomorrow evening for the reception."