Chapter 6

Pic above is an exersaucer

--@@--

  Stepping into the baby store was like being hit with a bomb of bright colors and cute music. It was disconcerting, alarming and loud. April and the twins were unfazed but Jason had to pause for a moment to orient himself. Everywhere he looked were brightly-colored baby and toddler toys and apparel. He was getting dizzy just looking at them

'Do you know what you're looking for?'he asked April, his only anchor in the storm of baby-related items.

'Well, I looked up online and there were a few websites saying that walkers were not effective when it comes to teaching toddlers the art of walking. Which is rather alarming. I mean, I used a walker and I walk alright. Maybe less than alright but I'm upright, right? But, anyway, they did recommend this contraption called an exersaucer so we could go from there,'she said, looking up at him for approval. He nodded even though he had no idea what she was talking about? Exersaucer? What, in fucking creations, was that?

'Hi. Can I help you and your wife?'a male store attendant asked brightly. His nametag shows 'Brendan'.

'Oh, we're not married. I'm his nanny,'April corrected in a rush, flustered. Jason didn't like her denial or the speed in which it came. However, he didn't like the predatory gleam in Brendan's eyes when he heard that more. Much, much more. 'I'm looking for exersaucers. These two munchkins are showing great interest in walking and I thought this will help them.' She looked up at him after she took the toy away from Tanner. Both twins were extremely happy to be surrounded by toys and wanted to grab all of them.

'If you would follow me,'Brendan said, leading the way but Jason had seen his eyes glance to April's bountiful chest, which had pressed against her sweater when she'd bent down to retrieve the toy. He didn't know why but he felt the familiar burning sensation in his chest. He didn't like the way that man was looking at her as well as the fact that April was inducing this feeling in him. Why couldn't it go away?

'These are some of our models. Some parents have expressed worries about it, saying it is similar to a walker and will have the disadvantages of walkers. So I would suggest that use it for limited periods. Use it when you want to cook, clean or just need a rest,'he said with a bright smile at April. Jason saw her cheeks turn red and the burning sensation worsen. He tried to elevate it by reminding himself that she wasn't his type but it wasn't working.

'Oh yeah, I've read on that too,'April said absently, looking over the different types. 'What do you think, Mr Halloway? Which ones do you like? I was thinking maybe we should go for the ones with the most features. I read this could help with their sensory development.' April and that man continued talking. About the toys. The different features. Which toy was good for which stage of the development. The twins were, surprisingly, well-behaved. They didn't fuss when the stroller stopped moving. They didn't cry out for toys. He was amazed. However, he didn't like the rapport building between April and Brendan. It made him want to toss the man away. He had to do something.

'That's a good idea. Why don't we look over some models? Is there a place where my children can test out the toy?'he asked coldly. Brendan, seeing that his commission was almost in the bag, went to find his manager so that they could set up a room for him. He did send a look of promise to April, who didn't see it as she was tending to Daphne. Disgruntled, he went on his way.

'You know there's no place where you can test the toys out, right?'April said hesitantly. He could see the puzzlement in her eyes. She was looking for an explanation.

'I know,' he simply said. He didn't explain he couldn't stand the burning sensation in his chest for much longer. He didn't explain that he wanted the man to leave or he wouldn't be accountable for his actions. He didn't explain that he only wanted to be with his children and her and didn't want any store assistant breathing down his neck. He didn't explain any of that but he did bask in the sense of satisfaction and triumph now that the pesky fly was gone. Now, he could have her all to himself.

- -----@@@@@---------

The twins loved their new toys. There were a lot of buttons and toys and noises to be explored. So much so that April wanted to rip the saucers apart. She was going crazy. Don't misunderstand. She didn't mind the dangly toys or the colorful, light-up buttons. However, the noisy buttons were killing her.

This was only the second day. April did follow the suggestions of the store assistant but the twins kept crawling to their exersaucers. They'd stand, using the exersaucer as support, and pressed all the buttons. Many, many, many, many times. Of course, she'd be behind them to catch them in case they fell. She'd also placed the exersaucers close together so she'd have an easier time keeping an eye on them.

It was during one of those times when Mr Halloway called her on the cellphone he provided.

'Hello?'she greeted, situating the phone between her ear and shoulder.

'Ms Saunders, are you busy right now?'Mr Halloway asked without preamble. He sounded very harried and stressed out.

'Um, not really. I'm just watching the twins play. Can I help you, sir?'

'Yes. Can you go to the computer in my office? I need a file today and didn't make a copy on my flashdrive.'

'I'll be happy to help you but I hope you understand that it'll take me a while to actually get to your office. I'll have to bring the twins and their toys to the office. Well, I say toys but I mean their exersaucers.'

'Are they still playing with that?'Mr Halloway asked with a smile in his voice. He was also starting to sound more relaxed. 'I thought they'd be bored with it by now.' She let a small laugh escape her.

'They're still playing with it and it looks like they wouldn't stop anytime soon.'

'Are they still pressing the musical buttons?'

'Unfortunately, yes. Frankly, I'm regretting this purchase. I don't think I can handle any more of this. I believe I may have to tender my resignation soon.' She had been semi - serious but hearing his laughter coming through made her spirits fly.

'And leave me to listen to that horrendous music? You're not getting away that easily, Ms Saunders. And who was it that convinced me to purchase those infernal things? As we both know, it's you, Ms Saunders. So I put all the responsibility onto you. You have not paid enough penance as of yet so no, I will not accept the resignation,'he said sternly but she heard the teasing note in his voice. A snicker escaped her lips. 'Are you laughing at me? I assure you- yes, Janice?'

April was having a good time talking with him that she didn't feel like hanging up but his conversation with Janice burst that bubble. She realised the importance of that file. He wouldn't have asked this of her if it wasn't. 'I'll call you again once I have reached your office,'she told him when he returned to the line.

'Yeah,'he sighed wearily. She felt concern bubbling inside her. He was pushing himself too hard. Barely sleeping 4 hours every day, even on weekends. He goes straight to his office after he returns, giving the twins a tired smile and sometimes forgetting to eat. This was not healthy and she wouldn't be surprised if he fell sick. 'Talk to you later?'

'Sure. Goodbye,'she said hesitantly. He stayed on the line for a few more seconds before hanging up. She looked down onto the phone. She knew she shouldn't be developing feelings for him but this conversation. It had shown a different side of him. And she didn't know if she could suppress the feelings away for the playful Mr Halloway. 

AN HEY GUYS. Hope you are doing well. Good luck for tests and work if you need it. So, how did you guys like this chapter? Kinda cute, huh? I did do some research on baby toys for walking and came up with that. So, yes, there are such things called exersaucers and yes, babies use them.

If you guys like this chapter, VOTE & COMMENT. Would really motivate me to write. Thanks for the support you've shown. And have a good day.  :)