Chapter 27

The next day, their world crashed on them.

Seated beside Jason by his desk, April looked up at him in shock and then shifted her eyes to his lawyers. Who were looking decidedly uncomfortable. Then back to Jason,whose jaw was clenched soo tight that it looked like it was carved from granite.

'Jase, tell me they're wrong. That-that she can't have them,'she demanded softly. He refused to look at her. Fear grew and with it anger as well. 'Jason! Tell me they're wrong.'

'The court has ruled on it. Barring any further evidence, a parent is granted visitation rights if they're not the custodial parent. And they've decided alternate weekends for Ms Carter,'one of the lawyers offered. She nodded but still looked at Jason. Demanding he tell her he failed.

'I'm sorry,'he finally murmured. Which was the impetus for her explosion.

'We can't bring them with us when we go for the auction and now this? You told me she won't get her hands on them. You told me you'd protect them. That they won't ever have to relive their fears-'

'Look, I tried and I'll keep trying. But they blindsided me with the speed of the decision. There's no compelling reason why they should withhold her rights, I know that there is,'he said, ignoring her snort. 'Even so, I'm still compiling evidence against her but she's working with someone. Her tracks are being wiped away so cleanly that my investigators can't get anything to hold on her.'

Biting her lips, April looked away, tears brimming her eyes. Knew she had to let the anger go. He's working soo hard. Both for the twins and his company. She tried to help but the only way she could was to keep out of his way while he worked. And it made her feel soo impotent. Useless. Helpless.

Suddenly,she was lifted up and placed onto Jason's lap. Startled,her eyes went to where the lawyers had been and only found empty space. Bewildered, she turned to her boyfriend.

'Alright. Tell me what's really going on,'he demanded softly, green eyes boring into dark blue. Her teeth returned to worrying her lips. 'Baby, I know this isn't like you-'

'How do you know this isn't me? Maybe I've been hiding a part of me who is angry and nasty,'she cut in belligerently, ignoring his raised brows. 'And why do you think this has anything to do with me? I'm angry because some psycho woman is going to talk our babies away from us.'

'You can never be nasty unless it's warranted. If you can ever bring yourself to do it. I know a portion of your anger is because of the custody battle. But your explosion is about something else. Something you've been keeping inside for quite some time,'he stated confidently. His fingers moved to tickle her chin but she turned her face away. Not wanting to face him. The issue. 'Sweetheart, how am I supposed to help you if you don't tell me what you're working about?'

'You're doing everything for the twins,'she blurted out. 'And I'm doing nothing. Ergo I'm useless.'

'W-what?'he sputtered, moving her to face him. His fingers didn't give in. Even so, her eyes were trained on his chin. 'Where did this come from?' She truly didn't want to expound but some part of her refused to let her keep it in.

'It's true,'she cried, jumping off his lap. 'I'm staying at home and taking care of the twins. That's all. I don't clean nor cook since Mrs Salvador is there. I can't exactly let you pay me since we're together. My sense of self is being eroded just by my inactivity. And-and I really want to work.'

'Alright,'Jason began, uncertain in the face of her tirade. 'I'm sure I can find you a position in the company-'

'No. I don't want to work for you. Sharon and Amelia have their own job and an identity away from their family. I want that.' Somehow, that made her feel like a child and she moved to explain herself further. 'It's not that I don't love you and want to spend most of my time away from you but our relationship is not balanced. You're giving me everything I've ever wanted but I'm not contributing anything. I don't even have any money to buy gifts for you. Can't exactly buy you a present using your own money.'

'You give plenty into the relationship,'he countered. 'You're my light whenever I'm bogged down by my work or fighting Carrie off. Always able to make me smile. The twins have flourished under your care. They're more independent now. My home is much more homey than it was before. Something neither I nor the twins ever had before. Before you, it was just a place for me to rest. Now, it's a home. Our home. And I feel that's more important than anything I can ever give you.'

'That's great and I don't want to sound ungrateful but that's not enough for me. I've always had to work and now that I don't, I feel lost. Right now, with us adjusting to each other and Carrie, I'm pretty preoccupied but how about later? When the twins are in school and you're busy with work, what am I supposed to do? I can never be a woman of leisure,'she cried as she dropped into her chair.

Her eyes trained on to the floor, upset, she didn't look up when Jason's polished office shoes appeared in front of her. Her emotions were a jumbled mess, with one emotion always overpowering the other. But, right now, after pouring it all out, shame was the dominant one.

What did she exactly have to complain about? Most women would kill to be in her position. And she was telling him it wasn't enough? When she'd spent most of her life fighting and scraping to where she was now? Who'd do that?

But there was still a nugget of discontent still buried in her heart of hearts that won't relinquish its hold. And no matter how much she told herself she was blessed to have Jason, the twins, that little ball would never go away.

'Hey,'Jason said as he crouched down to meet her eyes. Lower lips popping out, she moved her head to the side, avoiding his gaze. Folding her arms when he moved to take them into his hands. He placed his hands on her thighs, squeezing gently.

'Look, I know we happened unexpectedly. And a bit fast. And so much has happened during this time that should have just been about us. I know you have some reservations. About me. Your feelings. Your future. Just because I've been the obvious provider now doesn't mean it always has to be that way. And it doesn't invalidate your feelings of dissatisfaction.

'I know how your brain works. You feel that just because I've done so much for you that you don't deserve feeling as you do right now. Don't look soo surprised,'he said with a laugh at her shocked expression when she finally deigned to look at him. 'I've been doing a bit of thinking since that day you exploded. And with your mom being here, she provided a bit more insight.'

'Big mouth,'she muttered crossly, making him smile. Even so, she felt much better as she realised further explanation were not needed. Seeing as her ability to put her emotions into words were a work in progress.

'Well, I appreciate her candidness and hope we'll continue to work on our issues with her help. But you don't need to rush into a decision right away. You still have years before the twins would ever be independent enough to not need you around soo much. How about you take this time to figure out what you really want to do? Explore the options available. Make some bad decisions. I can assure you you won't make me bankrupt anytime soon.'

Tears streaming down her cheeks, her lips curved up into a delighted smile and she slipped her hands into his. She didn't realise how having someone who knows her well would bring soo much comfort. And peace. The edges of discontent had smoothed down upon his words and it wasn't poking at her heart anymore. But...

'I don't want to use your money,'she said though her tears. Seeing his smile, she growled, making him chuckle. Shaking his arm, she implored, 'Jason.'

'OK, how about it being a loan?'he offered and before she could refuse, his intercom interrupted them.

'Jason, there's a group of antsy lawyers in front of me. I don't like antsy lawyers. Now stop coddling my daughter and deal with them. Dang, I think one of them jumped,'Joan giggled.

Sharing a look, they laughed and he went to answer her mother. But not before she pressed a kiss onto his lips. And what was supposed to be a short, thank-you kiss became a long heated one. So much so that Joan had to interrupt them again.

--------@@@@@----------

Pushing Tanner on the swing, Jason felt his heart became heavier with every squeal of excitement. His family was currently in their favourite park, spending the last few minutes filled with laughter. But he wasn't able to enjoy it. Instead, dread and guilt filled his entire body.

Despite the agreement he managed to finagle from April yesterday, their mood immediately plummeted once his lawyers entered. He hadn't been able to postpone Carrie's weekend. Even after his lawyers left his office that day, his investigators had still been unable to find any dirt on his ex-lover. Not even a dust bunny. It made him mad enough to consider firing them all. And the psychiatrist who had made the diagnosis on Carrie had disappeared. No one knew where he was. Not even his wife. April wasn't taking it soo well herself.

He watched her play with Daphne on the slides and her eyes were near black with sadness and anger. She didn't say it but he knew she blamed him. Hell, he blamed himself. What's the use of having soo much money and power if he wasn't able to keep the ones nearest and dearest to him safe?

And his children were not safe with Carrie. He didn't even know if she was even able to give them the minimum level of care. Which was why he was soo grateful that the judge agreed to his stipulation. Carrie was only ever allowed to exercise her visitation rights if there was a competent, experienced nanny in her employ. Hopefully, that was enough to keep them safe. And if it wasn't, he had another card up his sleeve.

Suddenly there was a surge of bodies moving towards the playground. Worried about their safety, Jason took a squirming, happy Tanner out of his seat and joined April. Who had Daphne in her arms. They let the twins down in front of them and watched the group of people warily.

Knowing who was responsible for the cameras and microphones in the area, his anger grew. Why did everything have to be on camera with that woman? Even a simple hand over was never easy. Wrapping an arm over April's shoulders, he brought her close to his side as the viper approached them. In 5 inch heels. Sinking every few steps into the sand.

A smile was ever present on her face but her eyes were shooting fire at him. She was accompanied by a young woman in an expensive, revealing outfit who was sending alluring smiles on his direction. He wasn't interested but April brought her arm around his waist in a proprietary manner, resting her head on his chest. He didn't know why exactly, though he has an inkling, but unexpected comfort filled him.

'Ah, my sweetums. Are you ready to spend your time with mommy dearest?'Carrie cooed loudly when she neared. The twins, merrily playing in the sand with each other, looked up, immediately crawled to April and practically climbed up her legs. April brought them into her arms and they clung fiercely to her. Unhappy with the twins' reaction, Carrie placed the blame on their appointed savior. 'You poisoned them against me,'she spat.

'What? No,'April denied as she tried to calm the children down. Bouncing them in her arms, singing softly to them. They wouldn't let up. Instead, the more Carrie talked, the tighter their hold on her was. 'Maybe they just don't like you.'

'Maybe,'Carrie drawled, surprising them. He hadn't thought she'd accept anyone not liking her gracefully. 'But the court has ruled and you can't keep them. Not for the next 2 days. So give them over. Chantal will take care of them.'

With a snap of her fingers, the woman with her stepped forward and basically pried them away. Kicking and screaming. She placed Tanner into the arms of a man who they hadn't noticed, probably a bodyguard, while taking Daphne into her arms. April moved forward to try and take them back - they were screaming for her, arms outstretched in her direction- but Carrie got between them.

'Don't even think about it, bitch. And don't get too comfortable. I'll be in your place soon enough. First my babies and then Jason,'she hissed.

'I don't think so,'April shot back angrily, her hands fisted at her side.

'I believe I have a say. On both issues. And, trust me, your hold on the twins will be gone as soon as I find something on you,'he growled, stepping slightly in front of April.

'And how well is that going for you?'she smirked before starting to head off, picture perfect smile ready for the cameras.

'Wait. At least let us accompany you to your car,'April requested, her eyes fixed on her bawling children. Not caring that she was giving more ammunition to her opponent. He fell more in love with her then. Slipping his hand into hers, for both comfort and support, Jason waited Carrie's answer. But her fiery eyes were arrowed on their joined hands.

'No,'was her reply before she smirked triumphantly at them. 'Let's face it. The chicks have to leave the nest soon enough. And I'll take such good care of them that they won't want you anymore.'

Wrapping his arms around a distraught April, he watched his children move away, screaming his name. And not able to do anything about it.

Even so, they trailed after Carrie. Neither of them spoke. Nor did they take any heed of the cameras and Carrie's unobserved glares. April hid her face into his chest after the SUV left the car park. The twins' cries and screams still ringing in his ears.

'What are we going to do?'she sobbed.

AN: Hi guys. DON'T KILL ME. OR CURSE ME. PLEASE. Because how will you know how it ends if I'm six feet under?

It really saddened me to write this. Soo much. But please hold your criticisms. I have a good reason for this.

I don't think anyone is going to like this chapter. But if you're angry and want more, please VOTE & COMMENT.

And a last plea. Don't kill me. Thanks.