Chapter 14

April eyed Jason warily as she closed the door behind her. He had this wild air about him, much like a wild predator. She felt that one wrong move would kill her. Well, not exactly kill but somewhere along the line of something bad happening. Hearing her phone chirp, she searched her bed for it before finding it in his hands.

'Why do you have my phone?'she asked on trepidation. Hoping against hope that he hadn't notice who'd just texted her. It's not that she wanted to hide anything from him. It's just that she knew how he was going to react. And from the fire in his eyes, she was right in her assumption. 'Please don't be mad.'

'Mad? Why should I be mad? Is it because some man has been texting you? Or is it because he's been flirting with you?'he growled as he advanced towards her. She inched back even as her brows furrowed.

'He's flirting? Really? I thought he's just being nice,'she confessed with a nervous giggle, hoping to calm him down. She swallowed back her next words when she saw he wasn't appeased. She started when she felt an immovable solid, most probably a wall, at her back. Having nowhere to go, she watched Jason approach with wary eyes.

'You are going to text this man right now and tell him you are not going to talk to him ever again. Right. Now,'he growled as he pushed her phone in her hands. She noticed that he wasn't rough even in his anger. His movements were just jerky, as if he was trying his best to control his anger but his grip on her hand was not too tight and he hadn't tugged her arm violently. Knowing he was not violent in his anger, a part of her relaxed and trust him even more. Even as another part rebelled at his dictate.

'But he's my friend,'she mumbled obstinately. His hand tightened on her forearm but she wasn't going to be intimidated.

'You are going to text this man right now!'he growled, bringing his face closer to her.

'Why?'she asked angrily. She refused to give in.

'Because you're mine!'he roared, making her jump. Then his words started to sink in and she was stunned. She didn't know what to say. What to think. She knew, from his actions, that their relationship was veering away from the typical employer - employee relationship but she hadn't known where they were heading. She'd hoped for a more intimate, exclusive relationship but knew that would never happen. The main reason bring thag they weren't equals. He's a billionaire. She barely had ten dollars to her name. He's in the upper echelon of Chicago society. She was barely scraping the bottom of the barrel of society in general, let alone Chicago society. She just couldn't see how they'd work.

Tanner's cry pierced through the silence that surrounded them. April managed to escape Jason's hold and went to attend to his son. She forced her mind to empty itself while she bounced Tanner in her arms, hoping to calm him and herself. Jason watched from the hallway, worry etched in his face.

'April, talk to me,'he implored softly. She refused to look at him and instead watched Tanner's eyes flutter shut. He'd been awaken by his father's loud voice. Usually, she'd reprimand Jason for it but she didn't know how to treat him as she used to. Before his proclamation. Or whether she should put some distance between them.

'What did you mean by... whatever you said just now?'she asked, unable to even voice it out. It was such a foreign idea. However, he didn't have any problem with it.

'You're mine, April. Meaning I won't allow any man to take you away from me. Or even be close to you,'he said. She could hear the bemusement in his voice but there was also acceptance. He accepted his feelings? Wait, he acknowledged he had feelings? That's unusual for a man, she thought, amused. Mind, stop wandering, she berated herself and brought her attention back to Jason. 'I don't know where this is coming from or why, but I do know that I can't imagine life without you. I want to protect you, I want to give you everything that you can possibly need or want. I just want to make you happy.'

'I-I don't know what to say,'she croaked. Don't get her wrong. She's a woman and had always dreamed about a man sweeping her off her feet. Bringing her to his castle where they'd live happily ever after.

But it's the 21st century. Men no longer did the sweeping. And most definitely not a high flying prince like Jason. Elation battled with disbelief and she didn't know which would win. 'You can have any woman on earth-'

'And I choose you,'he said firmly. Hearing the steel in his voice, she looked back at him. Seeing his vulnerability juxtaposed with his stubbornness was jarring but all Jason. 'Don't try to make sense of this. Just accept it. I have. And I most definitely want you.'

Looking into his beseeching eyes, April couldn't help but to acquiesce. A man like Jason did not ask and for him to do that, it boggled her mind. But it also helped her accept the depth of his proclamation. 'I-I'll try,'she offered wryly, shifting Tanner into a more comfortable position. 'I mean, I will sometimes be inundated with insecurities. Especially when you're around women more beautiful than I am. I just hope you will be patient when that happens and not become some crazed idiot when the situation is reversed.' Even as she said that, she knew they still had a ways to go before that would ever stop. Case in point, her phone was still in his possession. She just hoped nothing got destroyed during their adjustment period.

Just then, her phone chirped.

AN: Hey guys. My exams are over so I'll revert back to my normal schedule. Which, for those who do not know, is every 3rd, 13th and 23rd of the month. So expect the next update on 13th June :)

I have been quite busy between the end of my exams and now so I have a few chapters in reserve. Yay. My creative juices have started bubbling and I'm able to write. Which had been hard during my exam period.

But enough about me. I hope you guys are doing fine and enjoying what you're doing.

Please LIKE & COMMENT if you liked this chapter or have something to say. And, as always, ENJOY!!

Ps: sorry for the short chapter. I believe the next one would be longer. And more dramatic :)