Chapter 22

'I just want you to be prepared for the malignant reports tomorrow.' Jason's words echoed in April's head as she read headline after headline of her. With the twins. With Jason. By herself. How she wished she wasn't bothered but his words didn't prepare her in the least.

Some of it were rather complimentary but most were horrendous. Malicious. There were baseless accusations about her care of the twins, snide comments about her weight, about her outfit and comparing her with Jason's previous lovers. It was all too much.

'Stop looking at those papers,'Joan scolded her, taking away said papers. 'They're all lies anyway.'

'It's just soo real now. Before, it was just an abstract concept. Something that only happened to people who wanted it or those who have achieved something, good or bad. Now that they're hounding me, it's a nightmare. And I'm questioning my worthiness to be with Jason now. I'm not beautiful or well - dressed. Why is he even with me?'she asked herself softly.

'He's with you because you have something those other female dogs don't. And he is astute enough to see and grab it before some other man steals you away,'Mrs Salvador said firmly, her eyes daring her to argue. Usually she wouldn't but she couldn't let the matter drop.

'But all these women, they look soo beautiful. Actresses. Models. I feel soo dowdy in comparison,'she grumbled glumly, sending a facsimile of a smile to Tanner when he glanced at her. He returned her smile and went back to playing his game.

Before she was able to fall further into the abyss of insecurity, the bell rang. The doorman told them they had some visitors. Recognising who they were, April gave him the all clear.

Opening the door, she froze when arms suddenly reached for her, pulling her into a tight hug. Only the huge baby bump kept her lower body from being crushed. Hesitantly wrapping her arms around Sharon, all her tension faded away.

'I hope you don't mind us crashing,'Amelia said as she maneuvered around Sharon's bulk. April just sent her a smile as Sharon had still not let her go. Her sons, along with Sharon's, followed her along with two women, one of who was carrying a sleeping Cynthia. 'Sharon, let the poor woman go.'

'No. She must be horrified by what those monkeys wrote. And obviously needs comfort,'Sharon said tearfully, stubbornly clinging to April. Amelia just shook her head and mouthed, 'Hormones,' behind her back.

'Sharon, I'm fine. Not happy but-'

'Don't say you're fine. We saw what was published. It's all full of lies and exaggerations,'Sharon countered fiercely. It touched something in April to have such a strong support. Of course, she knew Jason would be there for her but she didn't want to take his focus away from fighting Carrie.

Also, she'd been alone for most of her life. Having to move often and Joan constantly being away for work, she'd not been able to maintain any friends, close or otherwise. Especially not female friends. Realising that she had a bond forming with Jason's cousin-in-law and her sister, it filled something in her, a void she hadn't known was there.

'Thanks. It means a lot to me,'she told Sharon and Amelia, finally able to release Sharon's hold on her. Joan and Mrs Salvador had retreated to the kitchen, leaving April to entertain her guests.

'I have never seen anyone vilified soo badly as you. I have never been attacked like that before. And the world, along with their mother, was not happy when it was found out that I dated Cam,'Sharon said as she seats herself at the dining table, picking Cynthia up when she crawled to her. The penthouse was becoming quite loud with Amelia's and Sharon's sons running about the rooms with the twins watching them in fascination. Seeing as April had stored the fragile and pricey items, she didn't stop them.

'It must be Carrie fanning the flames,'Amelia said decisively.

'And how do you know that?'

'Obviously. Why would they be soo nasty with her? Usually, the press would release an announcement and her background whenever Jason is seen with a woman. But the way they wrote it, someone must be supplying information, false even, to make her look bad.'

'Is that true?'

'Well, the one about my dad is right,'April confessed, bracing herself for the withdrawal of their support. What she wasn't ready for was the hug from Amelia. It was doubly surprising because Amelia didn't look like a huggy sort of person.

'You poor thing. Our mom was bad but not to the point of threatening to kill us,'she cried. April awkwardly patted her back, smiling when Sharon mouthed,'Period.'

'Well, luckily Jason came along when he did,'April said stiltedly,trying to get out of Amelia's hold. After successfully pushing her away, she rubbed her neck. 'Thanks for coming guys. It means a lot to me.'

'April, do your guests want refreshments?'Joan asked pointedly.

'Where are my manners?'she said, flushing. 'Do you guys want anything? And before I forget, this is my mother, Joan Saunders. She's living with us since her house got trashed.'

'Water is fine but some snacks for the kids would be great too,'Amelia said with a smile. Sharon just nodded, busy playing with Cynthia. Joan nodded and went to get the items.

'Stay and entertain them, sweetie,'Joan told April when she made a move to follow her.

Right. Entertain. This should be easy. Of course, she'd had no experience but how hard could it be?

'Oh, I know that look,'Sharon said once she set her daughter down. 'That look says you're about to do something you don't want to.'

'Are we that bad?'Amelia chimed teasingly.

'No! No,'she said. 'I just have not entertained before. I don't know what to do.'

'How about we go out?'Amelia suggested, surprising April. She didn't even ask why. But it was a huge relief.

'Sure. Let me get the twins ready-'

'No. Just us. It'll be good to get away.' April wasn't comfortable with that. And it was so last minute. Surely Jason wouldn't allow it. 'I'll talk to Jason.'

'But-'

'Well, it's decided then. We're having a girls' day out,'Sharon announced.

- -----------@@@@@---------------

Jason wasn't having a good time at work. His lawyers have yet to find a way to prevent the judge from granting Carrie temporary partial custody. Her tearjerker interview were gaining supporters and petitions had been signed to release his twins to her. To appease the press and public, the judge, a people-pleaser, in Jason's opinion, had caved in. Fanning the flames further.

He was not pleased.

Furthermore, more articles had been published regarding April that was plain nonsense. Most of them were blatant lies. He's working with his public relations office and lawyers about his possible actions in a bid to clear her name. That had been a nightmare.

His lawyers told him to sue but his PR office told him to wait, let the fires die before attacking them and instead, proposed releasing a statement regarding the publications. To which his lawyers had countered that if he didn't strike when the fire was hot, it wouldn't be as effective. His headache worsened. Finally snapping and forcing them to come up with a solution by the next day, he'd left and focused on his company.

Unfortunately, the part of his life that usually worked like a well-oiled engine, had a wrench thrown into it, making it dissolve into chaos. Janice, in a desperate attempt to get his attention, stripped to her underwear when he called her into the office. Seeing this attempt a step too far, her employment was terminated instantly, offering severance pay and had security escort her out.

With no assistant, he had to share his new vice President's assistant. However, she was not able to handle the load and had a breakdown in his office. He released her to her former duties and had to use a junior clerk. Who, while desperate to please, didn't have to the firmness to be of much help.

Finally, hoping to calm down and not snap at his new assistant, he called April.

'Hey, Jase,'April said cheerfully into the phone. He felt his mouth curve up. He didn't know why but her voice leached the stress out of him. Relaxing into his seat, he greeted her. 'Are you OK? You sound stressed out.' He didn't know why but everything that had happened, up till that point, poured out of him. His anger, frustration, helplessness. 'Oh, boy. That sounds bad. Why don't you just take the day off then? Nothing seems to be going your way.'

'I can't. I have to make sure your name is cleared. I won't let Carrie win,'he finished savagely.

'Well, that would take a while. But I see that you need something to take your mind off the problem.'

'You are not a problem-'

'I know. I was referring to Carrie,'she returned drily. He felt his cheeks suffused with red. Luckily, she wasn't there to see. 'Look. I'm currently out with Sharon and Amelia. I barely got away from Sharon to answer your call. Why don't you get Mom to come in? She'd be the perfect person for this. Even though she hadn't had any secretarial experience, she's firm and knows her way around the computer. I'm sure she can help- I have to go. Sharon's found- Sharon, let me go. I was just finishing the call,'he heard her shout.

There were sounds of a struggle and Sharon's voice, saying, 'Let it go. You can have this once we reach your house-' More struggles and shouting.

He hoped April was treated well. She'd called earlier to inform him of the change in plans. Seeing as she'd not asked for time off for the two months she'd taken care of the twins, he couldn't begrudge her this opportunity. Plus he trusted Amelia to leash them if need be. Especially when Sharon's hormones got the best of her.

The line went dead after that. Leaving him smiling. April could definitely make him smile. He considered her input and decided to try it out. How bad could Joan be anyway?

AN: Hey guys. How are you doing? Hope you like this chapter. Please VOTE & COMMENT if you did. Thanks :)