Chapter 25

April felt horrible. She hadn't meant to tear into Jason like that. And she didn't know where all those sentiments and words came from. But it did. And it'd hurt the only man she'd ever truly trusted and cared about. She'd seen it when she'd exited, stage left. The shard of pain his eyes expressed in an otherwise impassive face. It had startled her but she hadn't expected his hurt would induce her own pain.

She sighed as she dropped into a seat by an open room. Having wandered around the offices, endured the curious, and often snide, gazes of the people working there, she finally found an empty hallway, just off the copy room. It gave off an eerie, creepy feel but she needed the space to think.

Growing up, she wasn't the most confrontational person. She just didn't like the spotlight. Reason being, her throat thickened, unable to get the words out, and tears filled her eyes when she gets angry. So, often, she wasn't able to express her anger. Instead she became a hot mess and got picked upon more.

As she went from elementary school to middle school and finally high school, she'd decided that being angry was a waste of energy and eventually became the woman she was today. Especially since she could never get the words out. Or so she'd though.

The way she tore into Jason surprised her. She had been angry, for whatever subconscious reason, but her eloquence shocked her. The words weren't stuck in her chest, unable to get through her suddenly thick throat. Her eyes hadn't watered. Her face weren't wet from angry tears. She marveled over this surprising change. Even as she wished, for once in her life, that she hadn't been able to put into words her anger.

Searching her mind, trying to figure out where the words had come from, she realised she wasn't actually angry with Jason. She understood and accepted that the reporters and cameras were a part of his life. Maybe she'd wished he'd explained the exact magnitude of it but it was like an on the job training. Once she went through this hellish few weeks, she could get through anything.

Instead she found a simmering pot of anger for Carrie. It'd started when she first met the twins and had steadily grown with every reminder of her. Be it from the twins' clinginess to this recent debacle. And April blamed her for her sudden restrains. Whether it was right or wrong

Because, with or without Carrie, she knew once their relationship was made public, it'd have the same result. Microphones shoved into her face and cameras flashing left and right. So, essentially, Carrie only sped up the timeline.

'Son of a bitch,'a male voice suddenly rang out angrily, echoing slightly in the empty hallway. April sat up straight, her eyes searching the doorways, trying to find the source. But most of the doors were open, making it difficult to pinpoint. And she didn't want to poke her head into any room because the anger intimidated her.

Not wanting to wait for the angry person to get out of the room, she quietly got up and retraced her steps. After rounding the corner, the male continue. Deciding it was harmless to listen in, she paused.

'I can't get too close to her and the computer security is tight. My attempt to get into the server has already raised a flag,'he said frustratedly. He must've been on the phone because she didn't hear any reply. 'Yes, I've erased any traces of me being here but I can't help you. Of course I love you but I'm not willing to put my neck out while you stay safe in front of the cameras.'

Who was this man talking to? Why did his voice sound familiar? She didn't exactly know a lot of people and her circle of male acquaintances was soo small it could be constituted as a dot. And what about the computer he mentioned? Seeing as his voice was coming from one of the rooms, the computer must be one of Jason's. That made it very suspicious as, from what he's saying, she presumed he didn't have clearance.

'Well, fuck you, bitch. I've done everything you've asked of me. If that's not enough, then we shouldn't be together. This is very dangerous. I don't want this to bite me in my ass later in future. And I'll have other opportunities. If they catch me now, it'd be difficult to find another chance.'

Hearing footsteps from the room, April decided her presence was no longer necessary and skedaddled out of there. The last she heard of him was,'I love you too, baby. Let's get together later.'

She couldn't wait to let Jason know about this.

- ----------@@@@@----------

'What happened? Where's April?'Sharon asked once Jason stepped into his office. Sighing, Jason prepared himself for a deluge of relentless questioning. Sharon's job as an agent for athletes had trained her to always try another angle, both to get answers and the best offers for her clients. To which she applied to all parts of her life.

'What happened? I heard her raise her voice. Which is very unlike her,'Sharon repeated. This was one area of his life in which he didn't want to be proven right. She tried to get up from Cameron's lap but his arms stopped her. Turning to glare at him, she demanded,'Let me go. I have to make sure April is OK.'

'At least let the poor man explain himself,'her husband offered, smiling at her futile attempts. Huffing, she folded her arms and turned accusing eyes on him.

Taking a deep breath, his gathered his thoughts and began to do one of the most important thing he had ever done in his life. And probably the hardest.

'I need your help. April is angry at me and I don't know how to make it better,'he said in a rush. Everyone was stunned. Everyone that was except for Sharon.

'Well, of course she's angry with you. You have not publicly shown her any support nor did you ease her into this life. She was practically shoved into shark-infested water. With no ability to swim nor any flotation devices. Aside from you standing at the platform and saying,'The sharks are dangerous and they will bite but I'll be here. Supporting you.' All the while she's being eaten by those sharks. Alive-'

'Sharon,'Cameron said, trying to cut in but she just talked over him.

'And since she's being understanding and all that, with your work and fighting Carrie, there is the issue that the world does not know about your relationship. All the world knows is that SHE only accepted the job so as to get close to you and not because she genuinely wants to help you with the twins-'

'Babe,'Cameron tried again but the bulldozer kept going.

'So the every woman who have a soft spot for children will judge her all that harsher and her sense of worth as a mother is seriously compromised-'

'Sharon, can you just shut up?'Amelia cried. That did do the job but it brought her sister's ire on her.

'Well, that was uncalled for,'Sharon huffed but closed her mouth when her sister shot her a glare.

'Did you not listen to him? He's asking for help. Jason Halloway is asking for help. And you're not helping,'Amelia hissed.

'Well, why didn't you say so earlier?'she mumbled but kept quiet when Cameron jostled her slightly.

'Your protective and that's what I love about you,'he told her and moved to kiss her when Amelia spoke again.

'Alright. So April is angry with you. Do you know why?'she asked Jason.

'Yeah. From what Joan and Sharon kept saying, I'm not very demonstrative. And I need to show my support. Show it openly and in a manner that would be difficult to misconstrue,'he said, slightly distracted. He was still processing all Sharon had thrown at him.

He hadn't known April had it soo bad. The press had never hit him as badly as they were apparently doing to April. And there was the abuse rumors floating about. He knew his children were in good hands but not the rest of the world. Usually, he wouldn't care what others thought but this was his children. And his partner. He had to do something. Fast. Mentally reminding himself to contact his public relations office and lawyers, he tuned in to the discussion at hand.

'So we're agreed. You have to frequently take them out, show your affection openly, to both April and the twins. And we'll be seeing you in Los Angeles next week,'Sharon said decisively.

Los Angeles?

'We're going to Los Angeles?'a voice said from the door. Turning around, he threw his arms around April, bringing her close to him. He didn't know why she came back but her presence brought relief to a side of him that always worried when she was out of his sight. He was startled, though, when he felt her arms come around him and burying her face into his chest.

'I'm sorry for exploding on you,'she murmured. He smiled.

'And I'm sorry for not being so demonstrative,'he returned. That surprised her. She looked up at him. 'I believe that's why your subconscious is soo angry with me.'

'Is it? Hmm. I haven't thought of that-'

'Alright. Enough with the lovey-dovey stuff. We have an evening gown to buy,'Sharon said as she pulled April out of his hold.

'Evening gown. What are you talking about? Is this about Los Angeles? Hey, isn't that where Harry is?'April asked, her hands desperately holding onto his arm. Not knowing why but wanting to show his support anyway, he managed to grab her away from Sharon. Who shot exasperated looks at them.

'Yes. And he's having an auction. He's selling off female employees for a night. Like a pimp. Normally, I won't put up with this but the both of you need the publicity. So we're going there,'she explained and latched on to April again. 'Now we have to go. We only have soo much time to get a gown before Amelia and I leave in a few days.'

Stunned, Jason was only able to watch April being dragged against her will. Being too slow to respond to her 'Help me' before Sharon shut the door. What just happened?

'Alright. We'll be late returning so you guys would have to look after the kids at Jason's house. Knowing the boys, your house's been trashed by now. Send the invoice for any repairs and replacements to us alright,'Amelia mumbled as she pressed a kiss on Scott's cheek and hugged the remaining men. 'Don't worry. I'll take care of her.'

'What just happened?'Jason said into the room at large.

'My wife and a cause,'Cameron answered glumly. 'May the Lord have mercy on us.'

AN:Hey guys. Hope you like it. A bit of mystery thrown in there. Who do you think it is? Any guesses? If you guess right, I'll confirm it but I won't tell you everything *cackles*

Do VOTE & COMMENT if you like it. THANKS =)

Tentative update date:9 Sept 2015