Chapter 19

Pic above is an example of something involving the twins later in the chapter. Even though it's self-explanatory, I just thought that would help :)

------@@@@-----

April let herself be swept away by the kiss. Her arms locked over his shoulders, her legs came up and tangled themselves with his as she was lowered onto the couch. The kiss started off as soft and slow. They traded off being the dominant one, letting her be comfortable with the contact and kissing on general. His hand stayed at her waist during the entire time.

Then, slowly, it became more heated, deeper and his hand start to creep under her shirt and crawl up her body. Deeply under the influence of the kiss, she didn't notice his progress until she felt his hand cup her breasts. Startled, she tried to push him away and he retreated slightly. But he would repeat his actions again when she was under his spell again. His hand under her bra and his intoxicating kisses both made her forget about her inhibitions.

Suddenly, a throat clearing penetrated their sexual bubble. April managed to get a few inches of separation and tried to find the source. It wasn't hard to find.

There, at the entrance of the hall, was her mother with Daphne in her arms. Feeling like a teenager caught with her pants off, she pushed Jason away and scrambled to her feet, straightening her clothes and hair. It was slightly disconcerting to be caught making out by your mother. Even if you're 26 years old. She was slightly annoyed that Jason didn't have the same reaction. He just sat up and sent her a crooked smile. A charming, crooked smile but annoying nonetheless.

Daphne, having seen her, demanded to be in her arms. April went to get her but Joan stepped back.

'Are you sure you want those dirty hands on her?'she asked, passing a censorious look over April then Jason.

'Mom! We didn't do anything like that,'she hissed, mortified. Maybe there was some justification for her mother to get her own place. Like not humiliate her in front of her employer-slash-boyfriend. Once she'd determined that was true, she allowed April to take Daphne. Daphne laid her head on her shoulder, eyes drooping. 'Why are you up, baby girl? Couldn't sleep?'

'Wwee-eeell, if the both of you hadn't been so busy exchanging spit, you'd have heard her cry out,'Joan scolded. 'Is this what you've been doing before me? Making out and ignoring the babies?'

'Mom, no. It's only tonight. The stress and everything,'April said exasperatedly. She looked to Jason for help and was not amused when he just shrugged. At her glare, he immediately moved to support her.

'Yeah, Mrs Saunders. We were just talking and one thing led to the other. I'm soo sorry if the little girl woke you up,'he said, looking appropriately contrite and ashamed. Her mother looked satisfied with his explanation, her face softening slightly. April just rolled her eyes. He's such a charmer.

'Well, make sure it doesn't happen again,'she said sternly before leaving. April heaved a sigh of relief. Having her mother around was both a nightmare and dream. She just hadn't realised which side outweighed the other. When she realised April wasn't following her, she came back and dragged her out. The last April saw of Jason was a wink and a blown kiss.

- --------@@@@@-------

'I don't want you to get hurt, April,'Joan said for the millionth time that morning. April stopped short of banging her head against the wall. Reasons being she was supporting Daphne as she tried to walk, her mother helping Tanner, and she knew this was a discussion waiting to happen. She's been wondering why it took her mother three days. She must be using up all her patience. And her store of it was low on a normal day.

'Mom, as I've said before, Jason and I are together. I know the risks and accept it. I've tried to ignore this thing between us but Jason is like a force of nature. You can't ignore him. I can definitely not ignore his possessive side,'she said with a grin, occasionally cooing at Daphne when she was able to take five steps by only holding her fingers. Daphne giggled and jumped, gripping her fingers tightly.

'But still-'

'Oh, stop it, Joan,'Mrs Salvador said as she bustled into the living room with a tray of refreshments. The twins demanded to be let go and made a beeline for the table. Mrs Salvador and her mother helped supervise the distribution of food while April took a break. As expected, the twins were more clingy these days, unwilling to let her leave the room. So she appreciated the fact that her mother and Mrs Salvador didn't need any prompting to take charge of them.

Speaking of Mrs Salvador, that's one of the things that be changed with the advent of her mother. Mrs Salvador didn't stay in the kitchen all day. She actually came out of her domain every once in a while.

'I've been with that boy for close to fifteen years and I have never seen him act with any women like he does with your daughter. It's almost sweet. If sickening.'

And that's another change. She was more forthcoming with information. Her voice could finally be heard. And frequently too. Even if her opinions were unwelcome. Like now.

'But you have to heed your mother too, dearie. That man had just had his life changed so this could be a temporary phase,'she warned. Blunt with a dash of sweetness. Who wouldn't want a housekeeper like that?

- ------@@@@----------

'What is this woman trying to do?'Jason roared when he finally comprehended the papers he'd been handed. His lawyers took a step back in the face of his anger, hunching their shoulders slightly. Jason was blind to that. He was seething even as his thoughts darted all about his mind, trying to understand the implications and possible solutions.

Only he couldn't stop thinking about April. He'd spent the entire morning trying to contain the news about her father and her brief trip to the unsavoury side of town with the twins. He'd told the guards at the condo to keep away any reporters and any publications from her. He'd barely retained her. He didn't want anything that would make her go away.

He knew who had spread the news but knowing it and stopping it was two entirely different things. He'd shelved the woman to a later point in time when his lawyers had suddenly shown up with a summons to court. Reason being that Carrie Carter was fighting for custody of his children.

'Have you seen the alleged medical report?'he growled.

'We have but we have yet to determine if it's legitimate. It'll take a few days-'

'I want it on my table by tomorrow. Doesn't matter how much it takes or who you have to bribe. To. Mor. Row,'he reiterated harshly. They nodded and hurried out. Sighing harshly, he slumped in his seat and massaged his temple. What was he going to do? Carrie was claiming that she hadn't been sound of mind when she signed the documents, rendering it void. With news showing April in an unsavory light, his case was less than impeccable.

His phone rang. 'Halloway,'he barked into the phone.

'Hey, Jase,'he heard April say. He smiled slightly. She'd finally grown comfortable enough to use a shortened version of his name. He didn't count "Hot Stuff" since she won't use it anymore so this was a step forward in their relationship. However, he heard a hint of apprehension in her voice and the smile went away.

'Hey, babe,'he replied, racking his mind for any reason for her apprehension. 'How's your day?'

'Well, my mom warned me about you with Mrs Salvador backing her up. It was a nightmare.' He laughed slightly, relaxing into his chair. She was the only person who could make him laugh even if his mood was dark as hell. Her and his children.

'Thanks. I needed that,'he told her softly. He could sense her interest but knew she wouldn't press until he gave the green light. Instead he asked,'So why did you call? Not that I don't welcome a call from you but this is different.' He sensed her hesitation and prompted her. 'April.'

'I just had a chance to turn on the television and the news is full of Carrie claiming that you took her when she was on low point in her life. Something about depression and that nonsense. Then she goes on to say that she's fighting to get back her, I quote, "lovely bundles of joy". What's going on?'

He had grown steadily angrier as she related the news. Damn that woman. She wasn't even going to keep a low profile. The whole world was going to hound his family for answers and he felt helpless to stop it. Buckling under soo much pressure and stress, he lashed out.

'Why aren't you taking care of the twins? Is that what you do all day? Watching television? Maybe that's why you want your mother to stay with us. So that you can shirk your duties and have more time to use my money,'he snarled.

'If that is what you believe of me, I'll wish you a good day, Mr Halloway,'she said softly and hung up.

Hearing the dial tone, the feeling of panic threatened to overwhelm him. He couldn't believe what he'd just said. He didn't truly believe whatever he'd just blurted out. It was just the situation, his fear that he'd lose the twins. Only reaching her voice mail whenever he tried to call again, he had to now fear that he might lose the only woman who meant the world to him.

AN: Hey guys. This is an early update. It's just a something to show my appreciation to you guys for helping me reach another milestone as a writer. Chapter 18 got >100 votes!!!! Yay!!!! Another party in my head. Whoaaaaaaa!!

Disclaimer: I'm not going to do this for every chapter with >100 votes. Not that I don't appreciate it but because I worry the story wouldn't be the best that it could be if I rushed it.

As usual, VOTE & COMMENT. Don't be shy :)

And to all my Muslim readers, Happy Aildilfitri :)