08| nickname

──・・𖥸・・──

──・・𖥸・・──

"Hudson."

I glance at Damon, raising an eyebrow. He's been looking at me funny ever since I came back from dropping that phone off at Dove's house, and I don't know what.

"What's going on with you, dude?" he asks.

"You're going to have to elaborate on that," I get up and pick up a guitar I've been restringing off and on since we got here.

He rolls his eyes. "You didn't sleep with that girl from the beach."

"Nope."

"Which is odd for you, since usually you see a girl and turn into a caveman."

I shoot him a glare. "Only sometimes."

"Only always," he retorts. "Not only that, but you haven't even suggested taking Dove to bed, which is so out of character for you that I'm starting to wonder if you're coming down with something."

"Can't I be nice?" I wince slightly as I cut my finger on one of the strings. It's so easy to hurt yourself on these little shits.

"Hudson Whittaker isn't nice for no reason," Adonis adds as she enters the room, plopping down on Damon's lap.

Damon nods in agreement. "He always has a motive, doesn't he?"

"You guys are unbelievable," I shake my head and turn my attention back to the guitar.

Is that really how people see me, though? As a complete oaf? If that's the case, then ouch. I have a heart. It may be bruised black and blue and overly pessimistic, but it's there and it beats just like everyone else's.

"We didn't mean to upset you," Adonis eventually says. "It's just that the last time you seemed this interested in a girl, it didn't end well."

I look up from the guitar and fix my face to be as emotionless as possible. The last person I wanted to think about over this vacation was Zoe. "Yeah, and that was three years ago. Like I said, I'm just being nice."

"You bought her a phone," Damon points out.

"It's my fault she lost the one she had," I reply.

"Damon says you made her pancakes," Adonis adds.

"She was cooking, so I offered to make her something to go with her eggs." They're professionals at reading into every little thing. Yes, I'm intrigued by her. But it's not out of some twisted kind of love, it's because I've never met anyone like her. Never met someone who will match me word for word without backing down. Isn't it natural to be curious about someone like her?

Damon sighs. "Okay, whatever. We'll get off your case...but Hudson?"

"What?"

"It's okay to open yourself up sometimes."