part 14: the rain

"i see you're still wearing that hoodie?" ala asked reki as he closed his door behind him.

he coughed into the sleeve and then sniffled, rubbing his nose.

"i wash it don't worry." reki said and he took a few breaths.

any day now and the oxygen will become useless for reki. time was ticking. the six months he was told he had left seemed like a far stretch.

"i'm heading over to langas." reki told ala and ala nodded.

she didn't want to stop him because the time for langas passing was in eye view. everyone knew it too. joe, cherry, miya, shins and ala. even reki noticed and it's been cracking his soul everyday.

he's only been talking in whispers from how weak he's become. he can hardly walk and needs a walker. he doesn't sleep at night anymore since the hunger wakes him up. with basic knowledge you'd know no sleep means hallucinations.

reki was the one who was supposed to suffer from hallucinations but now it was langa.

every single day reki called other hospitals asking if they had any patients that had something similar to langas condition. he looked up the most pristine hospitals in hopes for good news.

reki was hoping he would find someone who has someone like langa. everyday he came across dead ends and nothing. he was hopelessly wishing to find a cure for langa before the worst came.

reki waved his hand to ala and entered the elevator. he followed the same routine he took everyday. pressed the weird, yet cute, bedroom seven button that lead to langas floor.

the elevator door opened and he waved to shins. shins just smiled back. he seemed gloomy. everyone was gloomy now a days.

reki walked to the end of the hall and knocked on langas door.

"i'm coming in." reki shouted loud enough so langa could hear him and he slowly opened the door.

"are you decent?" reki asked as he placed his hand over his eyes and langa laughed lowly to himself.

even in these circumstances, reki made sure langa wasn't sad. he did anything he could in his power to make sure langa was happy, and smiling.

"you can uncover your eyes." langa said in a whisper and reki removed his eyes, dropping his hand to his side.

langa was going to sit up but reki shook his head.

"don't stress yourself." reki said and he walked a little faster. he then sat on the edge of the bed and smiled to langa.

"how's your mom?"

"she says she's fine."

"hmm." reki hummed as he nodded his head. he knew she wasn't fine. nanako would cry in reki's arms whenever they weren't around langa.

reki introduced nanako to his mom and as the predicted, they became friends. they hung out to comfort each other.

"have you talked to your sisters?" langa asked and reki pushed himself further into the bed, closer to reki.

"yup, they're coming to see you."

"what? with me like this? no." langa said with normal volume in his tone as he shook his head. reki sighed and then kicked his shoes off with his feet.

"they have to meet to person who makes me smile everyday." reki said and langa looked at him.

"i guess." langa said with a smile and reki smiled back at him. reki then laid down beside langa.