Chapter Forty Seven: Christmas Spirit

"All done." Lisa smiled, removing the spoon of medicine from her son's mouth.

"Mom I seriously don't need you to baby me, it's not a big deal." Mason groaned, flopping his head back down on to his soft pillow. He motioned for his mother to get off of the bed with his hand, so he could pull the warm covers back on to his cold body.

Lisa sighed, running a hand through her blonde hair.
The other holding one out of the many bottles of medicine the doctor had prescribed for Mason.

She could understand Mason's frustration when she tended to treat him like an infant in times like these, but it was what any other mother would do, right?

Lisa knew that if she were not there to check on Mason, her son would never take his prescribed medication. He didn't believe he needed it, and that's what drove Lisa insane. His medication was not something to be argued about—he would take it whether he liked it or not.

"That should be able to do for now." Lisa said to her son, as she started to take the medicine bottles and tablet packets off of Mason's bedside table. Before leaving, Lisa made sure to plant a small kiss on Mason's untidy bed-hair.

"Love you." She whispered, stepping away from his bed.

"Love you too." He mumbled just as she walked out of his bedroom door. A tired sigh escaped Mason's mouth, as his mind swarmed with rapid thoughts. He moved his body so he lay in his bed on his back, as his head looked up to the blank ceiling of his bedroom.

It was only eight in the morning, still early. Sofia would not have been awake by now. Mason learned a long time ago that she would usually wake up around nine on the weekends. He knew Kailani slept over at her house last night. It was a relief that one of the two people he considered the most important in his life got along—but Kailani worried him.

Did she tell Sofia? What would Sofia's reaction be? Would she forgive me for lying to her about something like this for so long?

Fuck...

His thoughts were getting the best of him. Mason trusted that Kailani would keep her mouth shut, but a small part of him realised that as soon as Kailani got nervous, the truth about Mason and the reality of his life would come spilling out of her mouth.

He texted her earlier, around five in the morning. He just needed to make sure that she would keep her mouth closed until he was finally ready to reveal the truth to Sofia. Which wouldn't be too far from now.

Today

Me
Did you tell Sofia?

Kailani
About what?

Me
You know what.

Kailani
My bad, a bit sleepy. Didn't tell her.

Me
Good. She can't find out.
Not yet.

Kailani could be trusted—he knew this. But if her buttons were pushed a little too much, they'd explode from all the pressure.

This was not good for him. The overthinking, obsessive thoughts, and the constant anxiety. Even though he was on antidepressants, they never seemed to work on him. And if they did, it didn't last very long.

And today of all days, was the worst time for him to return into this vexatious phase.

It was Christmas for Christ's sake.

He had to get through this. Not only for himself, but he owed it to Sofia. She didn't deserve him. And he knew that once the truth was let out, this could cause a major downfall in their relationship. It might even lead to a breakup—he hoped it did. It would be better for her to let him go. He didn't want to watch her suffer. Not ever.