Chapter Two: Window Talk

I woke up from my two hour nap, and fished around my bed—eyes still shut—in aim for my phone.

Seconds later, I got ahold of it and brought the phone far away from my face, to avoid being blinded by the high brightness.
I wasn't being over dramatic, it could be happen. Maybe.

The time read 7:15.

With a groan, I slowly pulled the covers away from my body. Once the cold air hit me, I was almost too tempted to just jump back into my bed, but I knew sooner or later Aunt Em would wake me up. And I didn't like it when she woke me up, because it would result in her tearing the blankets from my body or pouring a cup of water on my face.

"Look who came out from hibernation!"Aunt Em teased playfully, when I stepped into the kitchen. She was cutting up some vegetables on the counter.

I sat down on the kitchen island, and ran my fingers through my slightly knotted hair. "Aidan's not here, though."

Aunt Em looked up from her vegetables to look at me, a tight smile on her face. "You're not funny."

I shrugged.

"Do you want any help?" I offered, and she nodded her head. I stood up from the kitchen island, and walked next to her.

"Be a star, and peel the potatoes for the mash," she replied, handing me a cutting board and peeler.

"What's with all the food? I'm not really that hungry, and I don't think Aidan and Selena are either." I started to peel the potatoes.

"Ah, I  forgot to tell you. A new family bought the house next door a few months back, and they just  moved in two days ago. I want to make them feel comfortable, you know; new neighbourhood , new people, new house. It must be a bit hard adjusting to things. So your amazing and thoughtful Aunt decided to Invite our new neighbours for dinner tonight."

"Tonight?" I gasped.

She must be kidding. Did she see the state of me right now.

"What time are they coming?"

"Quarter to eight, why?" She answered, putting the vegetables to the boil.

Crap.

I looked down at my wrinkled clothes. I already knew my hair was a mess. I was barefoot, and most likely had bags under my eyes.

"You couldn't have told me earlier? Do you see the way I look?" I  pointed my finger at my poor choice of clothing.

Aunt Em stifled a laugh. "You look fine." She grabbed the peeler from my hands, and began to do the job for me, probably because I was peeling too slow.

"Don't lie to me." I walked away from the counter. "I'm going to change," I told her as I left the kitchen.

Without hesitation, I quickly opened the door to my en-suite bathroom. I wanted to take a quick shower before the guests came. I probably smelled horrible.

My hands made their way to the tub, and rotated the knob below the shower head, letting the water run as I began to take off my clothes.