Chapter Three

Storms rolled in overnight, hounding the Seekers as they traveled. Tori Brindleback held her cape with cold fingers, trying to keep the wind from prying it open. Despite the downpour, they were all still dry. Tori had used a special blend of animal fat to waterproof their gear.

Tol-Aka was sitting in front of her, guiding her horse, Autumn, with the gentle pressure of his legs. He did not need the reigns. Tori mused at his skill. Autumn had wholly surrendered to his command, despite the occasional crack of thunder. Tori was grateful. The rocky forest path would have been a challenge for her to navigate. Even Elleric was struggling to make it up the slippery slopes.

Tori sighed and looked around; the rain had finally cleared. Every so often, she saw the bush with the berries that Tol-Aka had shown her. Her mind was racing with ideas on how to use their sleeping properties. She chuckled at the memory of Elleric on the ground, letting out a deep snore.

The big brute.

"Is everything ok?" Tol-Aka asked.

"Oh, yes," she said quickly. "I was thinking about those berries."

"They have many uses," Tol-Aka said, removing his hood. "There are preparations for the weapons, but milder forms help with sleep. There is also a formula we use as medicine."

"Oh?" Tori wiggled in the saddle. "I'm not much of a healer, but we get into scrapes here and there. Do you think it would help us on our travels?"

"It would take some training, but it could be useful. We use it to keep patients calm while we set broken bones or stitch wounds. With the right formula, you can keep someone asleep through tremendous pain." He glanced over his shoulder at her. "Once my father kept someone asleep for a week. The man's body healed, and he came back from near death."

"You sound very proud of your father."

"He is a great man." Tol-Aka guided Autumn around a boulder. "What about you, Tori Brindleback? Did your father teach you all the things you know?"

Tori blushed. "Yes. He is a great man, too, in his own way. He is Inventor to the King of Tellaria. He earned a special place in the pattern with his mining inventions. He taught me to be curious about the way things work and how to improve them." She chuckled. "I broke a few things along the way, but he was patient."

Tol-Aka smiled. "You also sound proud of your father. Maybe you will follow in his footsteps one day and be Inventor to the King."

Tori snorted. "Not likely. In Tellaria, it is not customary for women to have professions or hold official positions. Mother would be mortified. She probably prefers that I left to find my fortune elsewhere, rather than disgracing her."

Tol-Aka was silent. "It is a shame. You are truly knowledgeable, and your curiosity does you credit. I think you would have made an excellent Inventor to the King."

The compliment sat in the center of her heart. She felt breathless.

He added, "And, I'm sure you are wrong. Your mother must miss you very much."

Tori closed her eyes against a wave of sadness. She left home five years ago, determined to change her fate, and hadn't been back since.

It was late in the day when the forest started to thin. On the western horizon, a striking sunset was peeking through as were the towering peaks to the north. She studied them. They were not what she was used to in Tellaria.

Ridgestone had peaks so high, they disappeared into a constant cloud cover. The snow and ice that fell year-round forced Tellarians to boar into the mountain long ago to survive. These mountains were nothing like that. Instead of black rock, she could see ribbons of gold, brown, orange, and red layered one on top of each other.

It looked like a painting.

She ached for a closer look. What properties did the rocks have? What plant life did those golden bands contain? Were there more treasures like the sleeping berries? She squinted for a better look, but the tree line closed again.

Tol-Aka held up his hand to stop the others. He was listening to something. Tori strained her ears but only heard the forest. Tol-Aka let out a delicate whistle that sounded like a bird. After a few moments, a similar sound echoed back. The whistling went on for some time.

Tori gasped. "Were you speaking to the birds?"

Tol-Aka let out a booming laugh as her cheeks grew warm. "I wish I could. That is a secret call I made up with my sisters when we were children. It has come in handy as a scouting language." He nudged Autumn forward, waving the others to follow. "We have entered the protection of my people. We will reach the summer camp soon."

She twirled a ringlet between her tiny fingers. Tol-Aka wasn't like anyone she had ever met. He was gentle with his words and thoughtful about the world around him. There were moments he reminded her of her father - curious and reflective. But, he also had Elleric's physical grace and confidence.

As the last golden light of dusk was beginning to set, Tol-Aka held his hand up again. "We are here." He called out, pointing to a grove of thick trees.

Autumn stepped to the side a few times. "Woah." He stroked her neck.

Tori followed his gaze but was confused by what she saw. She leaned in. "What in the pattern -"

"We have been fortifying the walls for winter," he said.

As they moved closer, Tori realized it wasn't a clump of trees. It was a wall of dark green fabric stretched between poles, and it created a perimeter around the camp. The material looked like a fibrous rope woven in a simple pattern. She couldn't see a single beam of light filtering through from what lay inside. From a distance, the camp was nearly indistinguishable from its surroundings.

"The walls of your home are incredible."

Tol-Aka got down from the horse and smiled at her. "Tori Brindleback, this is just our summer camp. Home is something much more." He pointed into the mountains. There was a boyish grin on his face.

Tol-Aka motioned to Elleric to stop where he was and handed the reins to Tori. "I'll prepare them for our arrival."

As he approached the entrance, two young girls burst forth, calling his name. They fought to see who could embrace him first. A woman emerged with them but stood apart, smiling and watching as they nearly toppled him. He began digging in his pockets and pulling out trinkets that Tori couldn't quite see. Each one would get a squeal of delight as the girls jostled each other for the treasure.

Several men came out and stood with their arms crossed. They stared at the Seekers as Tol-Aka talked to them in a low voice. She edged her horse closer to Leilandri and Elleric. "Can you understand what they are saying?"

"Not fully," Leilandri replied. "They are a peaceful people, but I don't imagine they have visitors often." Tori watched as more people gathered.

"How was your ride?" Elleric asked.

Tori blushed. "It was fine." She continued to watch Tol-Aka.

Now there were two more girls gathered around him, older and more mature. Tori counted four sisters in total.

She stared at the woman standing apart. She was statuesque and bathed in the last vestiges of light. Was she another sister? Her shawl was wrapped tightly around her arms. Unlike the other Zul-Li, she was indifferent to the strangers who had arrived. Her gaze rested on Tol-Aka's sisters, a smile hovering on her lips.

When Tol-Aka finally approached the Seekers, the white-hot fire of the stars had replaced the sun. He led them down walkways and between shadowy structures. When they finally reached their room, they fell into bed, exhausted and hungry.