Bonus 2: The Origin Of Arlo's Feelings

Of course, when Arlo first learned that John enrolled on the same university as him, he was already bracing himself from stress and trouble.

He expected to be dethroned again, but since John had dethroned him before, it didn't left any big impact on him when he eventually got defeated once again.

He accepted it easily, but worries over what the school might become under John's rule was unavoidable. Even if John had 'changed', knowing his negative traits and his violent history and unstable mental health was enough not to put him at ease, specially that Seraphina enrolled on a different university.

To his surprise, John actually selected him as a jack.

Given their terrible history on Wellston, it was the last thing he expected. He wanted to ask John why, but there was never a good opportunity to ask.

They became civil before Arlo graduated, but it was too awkward talking with him. There was guilt, and hatred that died down. He doesn't know how to act around him.

Being a royal in college was busier than being a royal in high school, so it meant that there were more meetings. The royals also have to participate in turf wars, so Arlo can only get nervous that John would brutalize students at some point.

Surprisingly though, John was actually doing a good job. This time, he was actually acting on his ideals of making the students live a normal and peaceful life.

John wasn't that intelligent academically, but he's intelligent when it comes to combat and in terms of planning. He was always two steps ahead, not just in turf wars, but on their planned events he can see the flaws on any suggested program, something that surprised the blond.

Arlo remembered John refusing to accept reality a lot of times even when the evidence was already in front of him, so he wasn't expecting John to apply any sort of intelligence on anything that isn't in combat.

Even on the first two months, Arlo saw how hard John has worked. He wasn't perfect, but Arlo tried to help him and cover the things that he lacks, along with Remi.

Although at times, it seemed like John was trying too hard to make up for the things that he's done before. He dedicated himself on being the king, and whenever they were planning some events, John tries to do as much as he could, not asking for help at all.

One time, he even fell asleep in the middle of resting after cutting some paper lanterns for decorations, and it was also dark too- Arlo just returned on the royal council room to get a book he left, but there he saw John, already asleep.

He woke John-up, and after that, John insisted on staying since he was almost done with cutting the lanterns anyway.

Arlo told him to go home, but John still insisted.

It was the first time that they had an argument again, and John was still as stubborn. Arlo ended-up helping him until they were finished, even escorting John to his dorm once they were done.

The next day, Arlo helped him on making more decoration- and in the middle of making them, Remi joined in too.

Arlo still bears guilt towards John, so maybe, it was why he kept on helping him ever since then. He doesn't really start any conversation, but he can see John's attempts on talking to him or more like, 'try'.

John even told him a stupid joke.

It wasn't really funny, but John started laughing over Arlo's surprised reaction.

Maybe, it was the first time where Arlo became enticed.

He never heard John laugh before, so hearing and seeing him laugh felt so weird. But what's even weirder was how his eyes were focused on his lips, and how he suddenly felt a rush of adrenaline.

It shouldn't happen just by hearing someone laugh, and he knew that he also shouldn't be looking at his lips.

That sudden feeling made Arlo confused, and he wasn't able to stop thinking about John during that night.

But thanks to that, he became open with the idea of him possibly having feelings for John, although he found it too absurd.

However, his eyes automatically followed John after that, and he started being conscious of the subtle things that he does. They had a bit more interactions, started wanting to know more about him.

And other than watching him, he also became more aware of the people surrounding John. Or more precisely, how some students now look at him in admiration. Whether their admiration is admiration for his power or something else is unknown, but Arlo hated it when he see some students blushing around John, or even stuttering when speaking with him.

He also disliked it when John blushes. From what Arlo noticed, cute girls seemed to be John's type. Whenever a cute girl approaches him, he blushes for a second. But if it was a beautiful girl or a hot girl, he doesn't even bat an eye.

In Arlo's opinion, John looked cuter than any of those he blushed for- and perhaps, it was this exact thought that made him realize that he's fucked.

One time, Remi invited them for a pool party on her birthday, and seeing John only dressed in swimming trunks only proved Arlo's feelings of attraction or whatever it was.

And during this one meeting, Arlo treated the whole royals lunch just to buy John his favorite drink.

Then, there was also a time where John started missing meetings, and Arlo saw him hanging around with a female student through the window.

At some point, his jealousy caused him to confront John in the guise of scolding him for missing their meetings, and it was the day where Arlo lost his control, kissing him on his lips.

He never expected John to kiss back, but Arlo convinced himself that it could only be because of their hormones. After that, neither him or John talked about their kiss, but everything between them progressed after that.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I was having a writer's block, but this idea suddenly came into my mind so I have to write it as a bonus episode. After finishing a few more ideas, I might make another pre-relationship chapter and other more bonus episodes since they're also really fun to write!!

Also, this panel made me think about John's preferences for cute girls- (as well as Uru confirming once about John having a crush on Claire before)

For some reason, I see John as someone who won't care about the person's gender

For some reason, I see John as someone who won't care about the person's gender. "If I like someone, I like them" kind of person, while Arlo might be bi.

Pleasant_illusion