Argument 13: Requirements

They were supposed to go on a date this evening, but unfortunately, John has been stuck working on multiple projects and activities since yesterday. To Arlo's surprise, he hasn't gotten any sleep yet, but he refused to put his pending works down.

"John, you should just rest."

"I think I can finish this within an hour or two. Once I finish it, I can still get around 2-3 hours of sleep..." John said, although it looks like he no longer has the energy to actually focus.

"You've been working on your requirements since last night.
Just, sleep now and work on this later. We can just reschedule another date."

"But, you already got the reservations and the tickets. I don't really want to waste them."

"Your eyes are barely open. At your current state, it would be more of a waste if you're too tired to enjoy anything." Arlo sighed, "Why do you have to be so stubborn? I offered to help you with this earlier, but you won't accept any help."

"Last time you helped me, you criticized my entire essay."

"That's because you missed the point of the entire article, I'm just concerned about your grades."

"I know I don't have a near perfect GPA like you, but do you really look down on my intelligence? Is it wrong that I want to finish my works without your help?"

"Where did you even get this idea? If you had just let me help you- or at least teach you on how to approach your rhetorical analysis and your calculus yesterday, you would have been sleeping since earlier."

Those two requirements took-up most of John's time. Arlo doesn't really think that John's dumb, he read his Ability Analysis and his ongoing thesis about Ability Theories and he was actually doing a decent job. Except the typos. It's just there are some subjects or things in which John doesn't excel at.

"Then, sorry that I'm not as fast as you! I bet you must think that I'm stupid!"

"That's not true, you did well on your Ability Analysis and your thesis. But, why is it that you're willing to accept help from Seraphina and not from me? You called her last night just for your calculus when I'm right there! And if you're just going to ask her for help in the end, you should've just asked from the very beginning!"

The blond took a deep breath in attemps to calm himself down. He just wanted John to rest, but he's pushing himself for his requirements that he could've finished more efficiently had he just asked for Arlo's help.

"I don't know, maybe because you looked so frustrated on my work when you helped me before?! I can feel you belittling me in your head!"

"I never belittled you. As you said, it's all in your head! Why are you even making a fake narrative about how I see you?"

"You revised almost every line that I've written, and you criticized everything. When I read the full essay, it wasn't even my work anymore. What am I supposed to feel?"

"Then, you should've told me what kind of approach you want from me when helping you. If you have other more essays you need help with, then I'll just give some tips and suggestions. If you're struggling with an equation, I'll teach you how to do it!"

John didn't say anything back, and the room remained silent for more than a minute. He doesn't know if John was upset or mad, and he couldn't read his face either.

"... I'm really sorry I made you feel that way. It's not my intention to belittle you, I should have considered how you'd feel." The blond apologized, "How much more do you need to finish?"

"This is the last paper."

"I'll cancel the reservations, you should just sleep for now. I'll help you with this later. I won't revise and criticize anything... although I might point out some mistakes and typos."

"But we haven't gone on a date in a while, and the tickets would still be wasted..."

"I care more about you than those tickets."

Not wanting the blond to see the redness of his face, John raised one of the books, pretending to read. Still, Arlo noticed it causing a satisfied smile to form on his lips.

"If you really want to go, we can just go on other restaurant and leave at a later time once you're done." Arlo suggested, "We can also just stay here and do something else. Whichever you prefer, of course."

Arlo leaned closer, whispering to John's ears, "So, do you want to sleep together, John?" he teased him, "Put that book down and rest."

Hesitant, John eventually closed his book, placing the paper that he was currently working on between the pages, heading inside the bathroom for it, and eventually lying down to sleep in their bed. Arlo laid beside him.

Since John was up the whole night, it didn't take a long time for him to fall asleep. He woke-up six hours later.

As Arlo promised, he only helped him by giving tips and suggestions, as well as proofreading to check if there are typos on his work. Since the paper was already halfway done, they finished less than an hour. However, it was already 9:14 PM. Arlo gave him the option if he wanted to go on a restaurant with him, or if he wanted to just order some food and stay inside their apartment and do something else.

Unexpectedly, John decided to just stay. Yet he was tired the next morning.

------------------------------
[Note]

I had a lot of fun writing this. I started this draft a bit long ago, but I only managed to continue it now.

-Pleasant_illusion