Chapter 13 May The Best Monster Win

Meanwhile with Jack and Dirk

Jack's POV

"What's with that kid anyway" Dirk said while scratching Link under the chin. I just gave him a look. "Quint? He's my comrade in arms, my partner in crime, my best friend" I said while still focusing on the road. Dirk just gave me a questioning look. "Hey don't look at me like that, Y/N is my friend as well" I said with pride in my voice. "Plus, unless you know, you and I. I mean eventually" I said very awkwardly.

Dirk just continued petting Link while there was a momentary silence in the truck. "So Quint" Dirk eventually said. "Uh right, he's awesome. He just sees things a little different than you and me. Or anyone really. Just like how Y/N sees monsters differently than anyone else. It can come in handy" But I was cut off by Dirk yelling "watch it".

I looked up to see a zombie in the middle of the road, I was luckily able to avoid hitting it. But we still ended up crashing into a hotdog store. Dirk and I both smiled at each other as we both had the same idea.

We grabbed some hotdogs and started munching away on them as we drove to lumber party. "I like to think of things like that as happy accidents" I said while shoving a whole hot dog in my mouth whole. Dirk was holding his hotdog above his head to allow Link to take a few gratefully bites. "It doesn't even taste that old with enough mustard" Dirk said until I stopped the truck making him and his mustard face plant into the dashboard.

"And here we are" I said while Dirk magically whipped all the mustard off his face. "Oh man" Dirk yelled as he saw the tens of zombies in front of the Lumber party store. "Lumber party turned into zombie party" Dirk stated nervously. "There's no way" Dirk said with his arms crossed.

"Nothing's stopping me from getting to June" I yelled with my arm in the air. "And impressing Y/N" I whispered to myself. "We just need a little Quint magic" I said to a confused Dirk as I jumped out of Big mama. "Ta da" I said as I popped to trunk. " What's that" Dirk questioned.

(And open the Quint commercial)

"Got zombies? Then you need the scream machine. Simply set the egg timer and run! When the timer dings, the speaker broadcasts screams, from your favorite horror movies" Quint says while there is a flashback to Quint and Jack covering their eyes from a scary movie.

"Thus attracting every zombie within earshot. Order today we accept most post-apocalyptic currencies. Atomic cola caps preferred" Quint said with crazy eyes.

( Now back to reality with Dirk and Jack)

"The scream machine" I said. Dirk and I then proceeded to set the scream machine up. We then ran and got ready to make a run for it to Lumber party. After a few seconds screams started to come out of the machine and the zombies started to migrate towards it. "Whoa" Dirk said in admiration. I just smirked "Quint magic"

We were able to make it to Lumber party easily. "Scream machine evacuation. Feat complete, thanks to Quint" I said.

"Guess he's not as lame as I thought" Dirk said while removing Link from his head. "You however" Dirk said while pointing at my shoes. "Uh, hand-me-downs. The tap is coming off" I said embarrassed. "Hey luckily we're right by the duct tape and it's on sale" I said happily. "I'll look in electrical. You flush out plumbing. Get it" I said while putting new tape on my shoes. "Hilarious" Dirk said sarcastically. "Hey before we go off searching I think I should keep LInk with me" I said while reaching towards the cat like monster.

"Uh Uh, no way loser" Dirk said while moving back, away from me. "Y/N gave Link to me, therefore I'll carry him around"

"But I have known Y/N longer than you have so if we need Y/N I should be the one carrying around her pet" I said while trying to jump up to where Dirk was holding Link. "I'll say this one time Jack, I may tolerate you, at least for now. But when it comes to Y/N I am going to be there for her first" Dirk says while walking off with Link.