sirens

tw // blood mention, knife mention

I open my eyes to see blood all over my hands. My eyes go wide and I search around me to find anything, except, my clothes to wipe them on. I don't know how I got here or where I am. I pause to take in where I am and to look around the room. It looks like I'm in a hotel room, seeing that there are two beds and the bathroom light is on. I rush into the bathroom to see blood smeared all over my face and in my hair. It has stained my clothes and shoes; it's almost as if I bathed in it. I turn on the sink, quickly putting my hands under the faucet, scrubbing at my sticky hands frantically. I look down to see that it's coming off, but my clothes were just as soaked as my hands were covered. Tears start to stream down my face as I continue to scrub the blood off of me. How did I get here? What even happened? Did I kill someone?

I quickly look back at George, a smile spread wide across his face. His petite frame is sitting criss cross on my bed as he intently watches me play the game both of us obsess over: Minecraft. I'm practicing my one versus one fighting while George is just quietly watching. I finally die after fighting these people for 20 minutes. I groan, running my hands through my hair and leaning back in my chair. Having George around, now, has been distracting for me, but it's nice to have company besides Sapnap and Patches. Sapnap never leaves his room, all he does is play Valorant, and Patches is a cat. I can't help that I like George, which makes him a distraction, but having him here is good.

"That was awful." George says with a slight frown on his face. 

"You're telling me." I huff, my hands still over my face. I hear a soft knock on my door. "Come in." I grumble. I hear the door open, along with a few footsteps.

"Did you die again?"

"Yeah." George answers for me. I sit back up, spinning around to see Sapnap in my doorway.

"What?" I ask, still kind of annoyed at the fact I died. Sapnap furrows his eyebrows together, giving me his best pouting face. "What?! Every time you come in here, you want something." I laugh. His pout turns into a smile, quickly.

"I just wanted to see if you two were hungry and wanted to go out for dinner tonight." Sapnap lets out a breathy laugh, leaning against my door frame.

"I mean, it's kinda really hot out." George complains.

"Oh, come on now." I laugh, looking over at George, who is now rolling his eyes at me. "It's been hotter here, you know? Like since you've moved here."

"I know, I'm just comfortable in my sweatshirt since you keep it at like negative 30 in this house." George argues with me.

"I mean, he's not wrong, Dream." Sapnap laughs. I roll my eyes. "What about pizza? We can watch a movie too." My face lightens a little, a small smile forming on my face.

"I'm okay with that. George?" Both of us look at him and he grins and nods eagerly. 

-

We are all sitting on the couch with our plates full of pizza. My mouth watering at the slices in front of me covered in cheese and pepperoni. I'm sitting in the middle of the couch, George on my right and Sapnap on my left. Right before Sapnap presses play on the movie, I hear

sirens.

Red and blue lights flashing on the walls of the hotel room from the window leading to the front of the building. I'm hyperventilating, watching the tears and wet blood drip down my face and into the sink. I didn't do anything. I don't even know how I got here. If I killed someone, I don't even know who. I hear banging on the door, which makes me jump almost 10 feet off the ground, scared for my life. 

"Orlando police! Drop your weapons and unlock the door!" I hear deep voices yell from outside. I look out into the room to see a knife on the bed next to where I was sitting. I rush over, grabbing it to find a place to hide it, that's if I can get it clean first. It has my fingerprints all over it, covered in blood. As I'm about to go back to the bathroom to rinse this knife, the hotel room door busts open; guns pointed at me, bright lights shining in my face, and cool air from outside rushing in. "Hands up! Drop the knife!" They yell. I drop to my knees, putting my hands up and dropping the bloody knife. One officer kicks the knife away from me and another takes one of my wrists, putting handcuffs on them. Everything starts to blur, my vision from the tears and my hearing from all the different things being said to me. Next thing I know, I'm at the police station getting a pat down, my bloodied clothes stripped from me to replace them with an orange jumpsuit. I'm sitting at a table, handcuffed to it so I don't leave. Some kind of officer sitting in front of me, reading through papers quietly. I look at my hands, completely clean of blood. Tears start to pool in my eyes, remembering what it was liked to be touched by someone I love.

George laughs, his head on my shoulder. His fingers tracing the lines on my palm, finding their way between mine. My stomach flutters with nervousness, not thinking today would happen. I ignore my feelings and point up at the clouds with my other hand.

"And that one looks like Quackity." I laugh through my nerves, pointing at a cloud that kind of looked like some weird fish.

"Are you referring to that meme where people call him an 'ipad kid'?" George laughs. I nod, laughing with him. Our laughs fade into a short silence before George talks again. "So, I know you like me, Dream." He says quietly. "It's kind of obvious after last week." I become too afraid to look at him, but I do it anyways. There's a small smile on his face. "I like you too, if that wasn't also obvious..." He pauses to take a deep breath. He's focused on our interlocked hands, rubbing his thumb over the back of my hand. "But I need to take this slow, this is all new for me, Dream."

"It's okay. It's all new for me too."

"Your appointed lawyer won't be with you for another month. The holidays make it difficult to get any lawyers. You're going to have to be here for at least a month until your trial." The officer in front of me says, pulling me away from my thoughts. I just nod, not really knowing what to say. He rambles on with more things and I start to space out thinking about how I've betrayed George; that's if I did actually kill someone. "Hey kid." I look up to see the officer motioning to follow him. I look down to see that I'm not handcuffed to the table anymore. The officer looks concerned for me, noticing I look lost in my head. "You have one phone call. I won't cut you off at a certain time, so take as much time as you need." He says, handing me a card to swipe at the phones, placing his other hand on my shoulder sympathetically. I don't understand why he's being so nice, but I'll take it. I make my way over to the phone in front of me, swiping the card, and mindlessly dialing George's number. I put the phone to my ear, waiting.

"Hello?" I hear George's confused voice through the phone. Tears prickle my eyes, my face visibly pained.

"George... it's me..." I force myself to speak through my tears.

"Dream..."