epilogue

-a few years later-

"Dream?" I hear George down the hallway as I am laying in bed. It's been a rough day being the anniversary of what happened a few years ago. It hits me every year. George has tried his best to be helpful with it, knowing I feel awful every year. I've kept up with the family and they still haven't found the guy that killed that man. It makes me feel guilty because I feel like I should have just stayed to give my story instead of running. "Dream? You home?" I hear George's voice get closer, the door slowly swinging open. I look up to see a small frown on his face as he walks towards me. "Hey, how's it going?" He asks quietly, practically laying on top of me. I just shrug.

"I feel guilty." I mumble. George pushes the hair out of my eyes, kissing my cheek.

"You didn't do anything, though." He speaks quietly, in a comforting tone. "You did everything you could and you still help the family of the victim."

"I know, I just feel like I could have done more." I mumble, a few tears starting to drip down my nose from laying on my side. George wipes the tears away, rolling onto his side of the bed, pulling me to face him.

"Listen, you did everything you could and you still do more than you have to." George pauses to wipe my tears and leave a small kiss on my nose. "And I love you for that. You're so selfless and care so much and that's why I love you and that's why I married you." He smiles and I try my best to smile back. "Do you want me to make dinner and we can watch a movie? Get your mind off things?" He asks. I nod, letting my eyes shut so more tears could fall. George continues to wipe my tears, peppering kisses all over my face. He gets up out of bed, going into our bathroom. He starts to run a bath. "Why don't I run you a bath and you go ahead and relax while I make us dinner, okay?" He shouts over the running water from the bathroom as he is laying things out. He steps back into the room looking at me laying in bed still. He walks over, taking my hand, pulling me up to sit up. He grabs my cheeks, gently, kissing me softly. He looks at me, running his thumbs over my cheeks. "Okay?" He smiles and I nod, giving him my best attempt at a smile. He kisses my forehead and then leaves to go downstairs.

-

I walk downstairs in my fresh, clean clothes, the smell of home made mac n' cheese filling the whole house. A small smile spreads across my face. I walk into the kitchen to see George still cooking at the stove, stirring the pot of home made mac n' cheese. I walk up behind him, wrapping my arms around his waist. I kiss the top of his head.

"I'm guessing your bath was nice?" He asks. And I hum a 'yes'. It's been a while since George cooked for me since I always cook for him. He only knows how to make mac n' cheese from scratch. I've tried teaching him new things, but he never remembers them. It's okay though since I love his mac n' cheese. I don't want to let go of George, but he pries me off of him when he has to turn around to grab our bowls from the island counter.

"I'm going to go pick a movie." I say, quickly stealing a kiss on his cheek before I leave the kitchen. I walk to our living room, picking out a movie we haven't watched yet on Netflix. I get comfortable on the couch, pulling a blanket over my lap that was laying on the floor. I scroll through my phone while waiting on George when I see a news headline.

Victim who got stabbed 3 years ago finally gets justice. Suspect arrested. Trial to resume in the next week.

I slap a hand over my mouth, the feeling of relief overwhelming me to the point of tears. George comes in with both of our bowls of mac n' cheese, setting them on the coffee table in front of us. He sits right next to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. 

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asks, rubbing my arms to soothe me. I just point my phone at him to show him the headline. A smile spreads across his face, his eyes glossing over. He starts wiping my tears, letting his own fall. I turn to him as he embraces me into a hug. "Look, they found him. It's okay now. You can relax." He coos, rubbing my back.

"This is such a weight lifted off my shoulders, George." I mumble. He nods in response, whispering sweet nothings to me to calm me down. When I finally do calm down, we wipe each other's tears, staying close to each other. We turn on the movie and enjoy our dinner together.

-

"Goodnight, George. I love you." I kiss his forehead as he smiles at me, half asleep.

"Goodnight, Dream. I love you, too." He smiles, turning his back to me. I pull him in close, taking in the sweet smell of his shampoo. I can't help but think about how much I love the man laying next to me. He's been so patient with me these past few years since I had ended up in prison. It was rough, but he waited. He is so loving and has helped me so much with the mental repercussions of being there for so long in my own head. I love George so much and I am glad I get to spend forever with him.