Hope Is Not the Goal pt.1

All of the upperclassmen gathered in the grand hall awaiting yet another speech from their headmaster. The mortal who seemed to be immortal, Matt Donovan, stood next to him.

 "Given our recent influx of monsters, the sheriff and I decided we need to take drastic action. Please give him your full attention." announced the headmaster.

 "Like Dr. Saltzman was saying, local girls Dana Lilien and Sasha Stoteraux didn't come home last night. Dana sometimes skips town for a few days to party, but this is a first for Sasha," spoke Sheriff Donovan as the students passed around pictures of the two missing humans.

 "Thank you, Sheriff Donovan. Now, while the knife is away with Dorian and things are quiet on his end it won't hurt to assume the worst. If Dana and Sasha are in fact missing, then that is a job for the police, but if this is something supernatural I would like some help. Now, I'll need a few of you to volunteer to go to Mystic Falls High under the guise of an exchange program meant to improve relations between our schools, which, unfortunately, is necessary, given recent events. Now, I give you permission to compel them, to gather materials for locator spells, because any information we can get will make all the difference" concluded Dr. Saltzman. With that, Lizzie Saltzman jumped up out of her seat.

 "Well, I guess that I can set aside my differences with Dana for a day because that is what heroes do," spoke Lizzie with great conviction. Artemis rolled her eyes and smiled at her blonde friend. "So... I volunteer as tribute," she states before taking her seat next to her sister.

 "I'm in," Kaleb says next. MG jumps up.

 "I'm in too," he said, causing Artemis to sigh. She was planning on going but she still didn't want to spend much time with MG. That was until,

 "I'd like to help," Hope said.

 "If Hope's in, I'm in too," Artemis said.

//

 As the group of Salvatore students got off the shuttle they noticed a group of cheerleaders and multiple groups of students who all seemed to be staring at them. Mg was the first off the bus. He was followed by Kaleb, then Hope, Artemis, Lizzie, and Landon. As Landon made his towards the group of supernaturals, who were already walking away from him, he bumped into Lizzie.

 "Sorry, sorry," he said. Conner, the idiotic jock from Mystic Falls High laughed at Landon's clumsiness.

  "I was making an entrance, Mophead" spoke Lizzie through gritted teeth.

  "Mophead, that's a good one Liz" laughed Artemis.

  "Sorry, I just had a" Landon paused for a second before continuing, "a flashback to my freshman year here.

  "Girls are missing, so get your wedgie-trauma in check, or leave" replied Lizzie

 "Wedgie trauma" wheezed Artemis as she continued to laugh. Everyone just ignored them, already used to it. The group then went to form a circle.

 "He's fine. Now, let it go," said Hope. Artemis's desire to make fun of Landon only grew, but her desperation for Hope's approval outweighed it.

 "Okay, here's the deal," Lizzie turns to face Landon, "Landon, you talk to any of the people you still know from when you were here." she turns to Hope, who already looked annoyed, "Hope, you try to not deliberately alienate the entire student body..." Hope gives Lizzie an offended look, Lizzie then shifts her focus to the entire group. "While the rest of us save the world." Hope rolls her eyes at the comment.

 "This isn't a contest, Lizzie," says the Mikaelson girl.

  "You're right. It's a mission. For a hero and her league of..." Lizzie pauses, thinking of a word for the next part while looking around at the group, "whatever."

 "Yeah. Screw that, I work alone," argues Kaleb before he walks away.

"MG, I need your compulsion skills," says Lizzie, MG has a worried look on his face. "Would you like to be the Robin to my Batwoman?" she asks.

 "Love the reference Liz, but batwoman doesn't have a robin" interjects Artemis. Lizzie sends her one of her infamous glares.

 "Metaphor, nerd." Lizzie looked back at MG, "Let's go."

 As they walk off, Hope rolls her eyes and looks over at Artemis and then Landon. Hope and Landon share a look causing Artemis to walk off before she had to watch their poor attempts to flirt.

//

 "Hi, I'm Artemis, sorry to bother you, but this Landon guy keeps harassing me do you mind if I hang out with y'all?" Artemis asks a group of Mystic Falls cheerleaders, flashing a large smile at the end.

 "O. M. G. Do not worry! We were just about to head to lunch, you can join if you want!" exclaimed the cheerleader with pigtails. As they started walking, Artemis noticed they were walking directly in the direction of Hope, who seemed to be arguing with Landon.

 "Oh my god, first he's annoying me and now he's annoying Hope!" loudly said Artemis causing the cheerleaders to notice the conversation. The cheerleader with the pigtails didn't hesitate to go up to the two.

 "I'm sorry. You look traumatized. Is this loser bothering you?" asked the pigtail-wearing cheerleader, standing in between Hope and Landon with her back facing him.

 "He keeps trying to get me to buy his mixtape," Hope says, with a look of disbelief.

 "Ugh, gross." said the cheerleader, "well we're going to lunch, hungry?" she asked.

 "Famished." states Hope walking off with the group of cheerleaders and Artemis.

"Hope, I'm so glad we found you! Sorry, Landon was bothering you." Artemis smiled, hooking her ar with Hopes, sending a glance to the group. 

"Me too! Thanks so much, Art." smiled back Hope, fixing her arm as they continued to act grossed out by Landon. 

 "So, are you two together?" Asked the cheerleader once they made it to the cafeteria as she reached for a tray.

 "What do you mean?" asked Hope, grabbing a tray for herself.

 "I mean do you and Artemis know each other? I mean the way you guys look at each other I just guessed." said one of the cheerleaders. Artemis had a panicked expression on her face, which she quickly suppressed. 

 "What? Hope and I? No, no, no, no. We're just friends, best friends sure, but just friends" Artemis quickly said. She wished she could say yes, but she knew her and Hope would never happen.

 "OK, just wondering. Anyways, our table is right over here" stated the curious cheerleader.