We're Gonna Need a Spotlight

Artemis woke up to the sound of a bell ringing. She quickly hassled to put her shoes on and slip on her sweater before running out her dorm door, not bothering to let her roommate know that she was leaving.  She met with Hope, Alaric, and Dorian in one of the school hallways.

"Sounds like the trap worked," stated Hope. The group quickly brandished their weapons before running out to the trap. 

"I know this is important, but you couldn't have put pants on first?" asked Hope.

"Little early for snark, Hope." rebutted Alaric.

"No Dr. A, she makes a good point. I was able to throw on a sweater and everything, it doesn't take long to put some pants on." Artemis joked.

"Artemis, you have no room to judge someone for taking too long, last year you were late to first period every day." Alaric criticized, she scoffed at his response.

"First period was Anger Management for Werewolves. Being late was completely intentional." she clarified.

"Any guesses on what famous monster from filmland we get to slay today?" Dorian asked, quickly changing the subject.

"With our luck, it'll be Cthulhu." scoffed Alaric.

"Or a Chupacabra," muttered Artemis. Hope turned to look at her and gave her a questioning look. "What, I swear I saw one once when I was visiting my dad. They're real." Dorian started laughing once they reached the trap.

"False alarm. It's just a horse," he said.

"Or it's pretending to be a horse." Artemis offered. Alaric gave her a confused look.

"Must've gotten out of the stables and wandered across the barrier spell," he said.

"Except we don't have a white horse." Hope corrected as they stepped up to the barrier. Artemis hummed in agreement. Before either of the adults could try to argue, the horse turned around revealing its head. They quickly realized that it wasn't a horse that crossed the barrier, but a unicorn. The two men brought up their weapons as the unicorn started walking toward them.

"Hey! Wait, wait! Hold your fire," exclaimed Hope, moving to block the unicorn from the men's line of fire. 

"It's a monster, Hope. It's here to take the artifact." Dorian stated. 

"You're not seriously suggesting we kill a unicorn?" Hope asked, she was obviously upset at the accusation. 

"And it's not like it can take the artifact, it doesn't have any thumbs," added Artemis. They turned to give her a questioning look. "Just think about it," she responded. 

"I'm suggesting we don't give it a pass because it's cute," Dorian remarked

"I suggest we give it a pass because it's cute," interjected Artemis

"Can't we just leave it alone? It's trapped. It's not going anywhere. It's harmless." Hope suggested. The two men turned to look at each other, considering the offer. 

"Hope's right. As long as we keep it alive, other creatures won't be coming for the urn." Stated Alaric. "So we just stay alert and let it be."

Unbeknownst to the group, the Unicorn wasn't the only creature that had made an appearance that night. A small slug would soon mess a lot of things up.

"All right, well. I'll be on alert back in bed." Dorian shared before walking towards the school.

"You're right, it is really cute." Hope turned back to Artemis.

"Well let's hope it doesn't kill us with its cuteness," Artemis replied, wrapping her arm around Hope's shoulder as they walked back to the school.

"Agreed," Hope said, leaning her head against Artemis's. 

//

Artemis woke up in a good mood. Correction. A great mood. It didn't bother her that she was woken up in the middle of the night. It was okay because she got to spend time with Hope.

Hope. The name made her smile. Artemis thought she should go look for her. She quickly got dressed and made her way to the dining hall. She saw the twins, Rafael, Landon, and Hope.

"Raf, girls, Hope." she greeted smiling. She turned and saw Hope leaning against Landon. "Landon," she trailed off, disgust clear in her voice. Before she could speak she heard the squeal of the announcement system. 

"If I could have your attention. Last night we were able to capture a monster here on the grounds. We have everything under control. But given the potential danger, it is with a heavy heart that I must postpone the talent show. Hopefully, we'll be able to reschedule this unique event at a later date. A much, much later date" announced the headmaster. 

"Kind of overkill if you ask me. I told your dad that a unicorn barely counts as a monster." rebutted Hope.

"I agree. It was cute, not a monster. There are people we allow at this school that look more like monsters." Artemis added, staring at Landon. 

//

Artemis sat on the kitchen counter with Hope as Landon went to the bathroom. 

"I don't know what you see in him. I don't understand it." spoke up Artemis.

"Where is this coming from?" asked Hope, slightly upset.

"I just mean that of all the people you could choose, there was the person whos been waiting for you to notice them for years, has loved you for years, and you go and choose the muppet who you danced with once," explained Artemis, swinging her legs off the edge of the counter. "Just make me understand."

"I love him. He like me when he thought I was human and likes me now that he knows who I am. He knows about my family." explained Hope.

"So? I was here for you when you were Hope Marshall, and I stuck by you when we found out you were a Mikaelson. I'm the only one who did." Artemis opposed.

"You know, I get that you don't like him but you're my best friend, can't you just pretend to like my boyfriend?" fought Hope.

"No, I can't. Because I should be in his place, and it's not fair that you can't be bothered to notice." Artemis confessed, running out of the kitchen.

//

When Artemis felt the shock, she was overwhelmed by the wave of regret. She was angry at herself. She didn't want to admit what she did to Hope. Not yet. Not ever. It was her secret, and now it was gone all because of a monster. She ran to her room as soon as she could and broke down crying. Her roommate walked in during her breakdown. 

"Did you have another flashback or something? What's wrong?" asked Alyssa

"I messed up Alyssa, I messed up big." sobbed Artemis.

"I bet it's not as bad as you're making it seem. What happened?" asked the witch.

"I fought with Hope about Landon. I told her I had feelings for her. She's my best friend and I just risked that over a silly crush." she cried. Alyssa walked towards her and sat on her bed, giving her a hug until she fell asleep.

//

AN: 

boring part but I feel like it would take the slug for Artemis to admit her feelings. plus I kinda am getting over this slowburn so,,,