Chapter Three; Page seventeen

CHAPTER THREEExcuses

CHAPTER THREE
Excuses

-December 1st, 2 months later-

It was a ten-minute drive to Yeongdeungpo, and the entire time, Gray was trying his hardest not to look outside the window.

He wasn't there to sightsee anyways, all he wanted to do was to pick up his mail and get out as soon as possible- to eliminate the chances that some random person would recognize him or worse, if his highschool friends saw him (the chances were 50/50).

It's not like he wanted to be there either, it was too risky for him to just be out and about in the area, and he didn't want to see anybody he knew- plus, he didn't want to waste his pocket money on a ₩10000 ride to Yeongdeungpo and back again. But he had to, every once a week, because he absolutely could not miss grabbing his mail- there were too many important documents that he had to retrieve.

And, since he hasn't been able to rent out another mailbox closer to his apartment, he had to make due with his mailbox in here.

Maybe the car sickness was getting to him, or the 'new car smell' was just too much for his senses to handle, but Gray began to feel nausea bleed into his chest as he continued to stare down into his lap.

So, despite his fight against looking out -or even looking at the window, he ended up rolling the window down halfway - much to the Driver's annoyance- And as the taxi continued to pass buildings after buildings, Gray caught a glimpse of a small auto repair shop with "GOGO's AUTO-REPAIR SHOP" plastered overhead.

Gray froze, continuing to stare at the rusty gigantic letters at the front of the building. The shop was already far behind the taxi, yet Gray found himself still staring back at it.

He's never seen that shop before, even in his countless mail-runs to Yeongdeungpo, he's never seen that sign in his life- or perhaps he had, but he never truly paid attention to it until now.

'Is it,, is it really?' Gray thought to himself, finally snapping himself out of his daze.

'Or maybe it's just a coincidence. Afterall, a repair shop with a name like that is fairly common.' He concluded.

Right, even if it was his shop, it wouldn't matter anyways since Gray wasn't planning to reunite with his old friends- he was only there for mail,, just mail.

But he couldn't help but think to himself that it'd be shameful if they were to see him in this state; selling himself, ruining himself. Pitiful and pathetic, another one of those washed up people on the streets of Seoul- which was even more of a reason to avoid them.

If they saw him now, would they still want to talk to him? To befriend him as he is? Probably not.

"Take a right here, it'll be the first house on the right."

When the car stopped, Gray opened the door and stepped outside, feeling the crunch of the snow underneath his sneakers - Sneakers,, not the best thing to wear in winter, but at least they had memory foam.

Gray tried his best to bundle himself up in his padded leather jacket and his sweater as he approached the front door of his old Yeongdeungpo house. Carefully avoiding the little 'Welcome Home' mat on the doorstep, he pushed the doorbell, hearing it ring a little melody and so he waited. It only took about five seconds at best for the door to swing open, revealing a pretty lady, about twenty-five, with light brown hair pulled into a loose bun, and a blue apron with the words 'mama bear' stitched onto her chest..

"Oh, hello again Gray." She smiled brightly at him. Gray's face twitched into a semi-lifeless smile in return, causing her to let out a small chuckle.

"Hello Mrs. Im." Gray responded.

"Here for your Mail?" Mrs. Im asked, and Gray nodded silently in response. "Alrighty, let me just go and get'em for you." The door swung closed, and Gray was once again. Left to wait in the cold December air.

Mrs. Im, or Seohyun Im (she insisted that he call her by her first name, but Gray refused) is the wife and mother of the small family that bought out Gray's old family home three years ago. Back then, they were just a newlywed couple buying their first home together, but now, now they had a toddler with them too.

Despite Gray being the elder is this situation, he felt like Mrs. Im was his senior in life. She seemed to have her life going steady with her family and her job- he was almost jealous, but since she was such a nice person, Gray couldn't bring himself to hate her. She was bubbly, kind, and compassionate; all in all a respectable woman leading a respectable life.

The complete opposite of himself.