Prologue

Micah Swan was nothing if not observant. So when his father came home from work with a frown on his face, Micah knew something was wrong.

"Micah?" Charlie called, taking the seat next to his son after placing his school books on the coffee table.

Micah hummed in question, his brown orbs fully focused on his nervous dad, "Everything alright?" He found himself asking.

"Everything's...." Charlie trailed off. He scratched the back of his head subconsciously, Charlie wanted to tell him everything was going to be alright, but even he knew that was a lie.

Charlie took a deep breath, "Everything's going to be a little bit complicated." He supplied instead, "See, your sister... well she gets out in a few days."

Micah nodded, "Ok?" He asked, not seeing where Charlie was going with his explanation.

"Well the thing is, they are putting her on house arrest. She'll have an ankle monitor on at all times."

Micah felt himself freeze. His sister was getting out and was going to be staying here? "Why can't she stay with mum?" He asked softly.

Charlie sighed, he didn't exactly like the idea of her staying here either, but he didn't have a choice in the matter, "She needs to stay close for her court date."

Micah nodded, his curly locks falling over his eyes as he looked towards the carpeted flooring. He jumped slightly when he felt Charlie's ruff calloused hand gently grip his forearm.

"You'll be safe, I promise." He said reassuringly, "One wrong move and she's back in that cell."

Micah let out a breath he didn't know he had even started holding. Well, this is going to be exciting, he thought bitterly, not.