Enemies Among Us

A golden phoenix statue lets the smoke of sweet incense flow from it's back. It's smell is sickening. It is a beautiful bird yet caged just as Shanghai is although no bars keep either of them in place. Asumi the Miaki Imperial Concubine closed her eyes and drank deeply from her silver tea cup.  The emperor who sat across from her remained silent and stared straight ahead looking at the phoenix statue.

Asumi's maid Titani held a pink silk handkerchief  behind her lady. The silence was awkward and overbearing. Asumi took another  drink without properly putting it down.  She then smiled and looked at the Emperor who then seemed to realize her existence. She smiled and then frowned closed her eyes. "I have troubled you ,Your Majesty." She sighed sadly. "The Imperial Doctor already said there's many issues." Asumi looked down and drank again. "I hid this from Your Majesty because I was ashamed and didn't want to lose your love." A tear fell down Asumi's cheek.

Shanghai simply stared silently not even bothering to drink from his silver  dragon painted tea cup. Finally he sighed and muttered; "In this harem whoever wants to do something or not  is not of my concern anymore." Asumi chuckled in disbelief at the Emperor's impassive reaction. her maid Titani patted her shoulder with a warning look fearing for her lady angering the Emperor.

"To believe I once feared I deceived the emperor. Do I not deserve punishment?" The Emperor stared silently again before grinning at Asumi's bold words. He then stood frowning losing his grin as soon as it came. "As you wish." He sighed again.  "I punish you to drink this tea to your heart's content." Asumi smiled a big smile amused. "I heard the Empress's  tea is quite popular nowadays." Asumi laughed causing a smile to force it's way onto Shanghai's lips. "Your Majesty we only drink this because there is nothing else to consume by her orders." Asumi glared. "I buried nine vases in my yard!"

The Emperor laughed but then bit his lip looking away. He turned back to her after gaining his composure. "Soon I'll have a whole lake of it to drink." Shanghai burst out laughing and Asumi joined his laughter. "Asumi, a few days ago," Shanghai said looking down. An expression of sadness took hold of the usually unreadable Emperor.

"I happened to come upon a newly appointed Genki and General." Shanghai nodded to himself and looked up at the ceiling dragon painting in deep thought then back at Asumi.     "Say what you need Your Majesty I will not judge you."  Asumi smiled with a wave of her hand to press him to go on. "She begged me to not judge her yet he was dead and holding a gift I gave to her." Shanghai balled his fist on his lap and his face grew grim. Asumi nodded as if understanding. She stood and placed her hand on his to stop them from shaking.

"Your Majesty you saw an affair with the General." Shanghai laughed darkly covering his face. "Why would she betray me with my friend?" The Emperor sighed. His breath showed as the room was now cold since the fire had long gone out. Asumi signaled for her maid to light it. The Emperor held up his hand. "There is no need."

"I shall be going..." Asumi looked sad. When the Emperor left she threw the handkerchief on the table bitterly. "What life is this! What's the point of  a Miaki without children?"  Her maid Titani  looked down sharing her lady's frustration. "I don't want to live without children. I'd rather die." The maid looked up at her lady in shock. "Don't say that my lady for at least the Emperor listens to you." Asumi frowned.        

"So what?" She puffed her cheeks fuming like a spoiled child. "Other than be treated like a cheap concubine ,this life, I'd rather be a nun!" The maid picked up the silk handkerchief and folded it. "I can't even have children and soon another will catch His Most High's eye."   

"Enough. Stop with the ranting before your voice becomes hoarse." Asumi raised her eyebrow questioningly. "How can a woman not be proud to have the Emperor's attention? You are not barren as you've been tested before hand."

"What do you--" Asumi stopped talking and Titani followed the silence as they heard footsteps leaving their residence. "The walls have ears." Titani whispered. "Chiyo has spies that is something I found out in the kitchens today." Asumi's eyes widened and nodded.        

"I see then let us prepare to bring her down." Asumi signed with her hands. 

"You do not mess with my life and live."  She signed with a dark expression.