Crown Prince Bai

9 years later 

 9 years later scene opens to reveal an imperial palace. Imperial guardsmen with duty inscribed upon their armor stand at attention. The guards come from far and encompass the entire palace as ordered by Emperor Shanghai after the death of the consort. Men from all corners of the land they are brought into the palace to serve the emperor as he sought new protectors for the harem. The guardsmen are tied with heavy ropes to the support beams of the girders on each floor to become part of the support structure of the palace mentally. The guardsmen repeat the ritual a few times during training in order to build strength.

 They go from pillar to pillar in the training area doing this until they have accomplished their task and are then released back to the palace to begin to patrol the harem. Emperor Shanghai is clean-cut, well dressed, and with well-groomed hair. He is ordering the guards on duty. Princess is ordered by an edict to come back today which is the reason for his clean-cut appearance and haircut as well as the symbol of his role as emperor embedded on the back of his golden robe. Later on, Emperor Shanghai talks to officials and sees news of events in order to gather information which he orders to send back to his chambers. 

While talking to his officials the emperor is distracted during the combat training of the ninety-nine recruits. The Emperor spots a young soldier who seems to be the strongest. The soldier is fast as well as young and clean-cut as all others but has a great ability as a future general. His way with his sword is that of a proficient and dangerous warrior. "You there what is your name?" Emperor Shanghai questions the soldier. The soldier bows. "My name is Bai." He replied. Shanghai widened his eyes in shock and felt embarrassed at not recognizing his own son the crown prince. The young trainee warriors whisper disrespectfully amongst themselves.''

"Y-You are named with a surname?" The Emperor questions wondering if that woman used his surname. Another warrior rudely responds for Bai.'' He is Bai.'' Emperor Shanghai becomes aggravated as he thinks that since his son was among commoners that the soldier shouldn't know his name either. Emperor Shanghai nervously responds."You are named by who?" The Emperor asks "His name was by the most high empress." 

Emperor Shanghai turns red and glared at the young trainee soldier who kept answering for his son. The group of recruits lets out a gasp of shock before bowing to Bai the crown prince. Since Bai was his only son in the palace despite his negative views toward Chiyo he would be heir by default. Shanghai felt deep humiliation for asking who named Bai as it was tradition for a father to name their son but instead their mother bestowed the Imperial name of Bai upon him.

  As he watches Bai he can see that his son Bai seems to have a special feeling for him as he looks at him with hopeful eyes. Though Shanghai does not feel the same, he knows that Bai is his son and that he has to concede to the traditions of royalty and respect him in front of the people to avoid scandal.

Emperor Shanghai addresses Bai in private after training by pulling him to the side of the army pavilion. "Son. I didn't recognize your birth. Understand that as your father I have long been disgusted by your very existence and wish you never were made." Bai widened his eyes in shock but then remembered his mother's teachings of being strong and hid his emotions through an emotionless and blank face.

"But because of your willingness to give your all to the army, I'll allow you to stay here. I have ordered a new training session in order to pick a potential future general. Perhaps the education you received will go into serving this country."  

"Let me explain. I want you for the next five years to wander beyond the borders of this land through the mountain passes and forests of the west. Along the way, you can not only be out of my sight but can fight as well in war with the Barbarians of Anglo." Bai stared at his father the Emperor silently feeling hurt but hiding it for a long time but then nodded sadly realizing that his father never would love him and only would see him as a tool.