Judgment

Shanghai ground his teeth in frustration. Today was supposed to be a happy occasion. Today he prepared anxiously for his daughter to move closer to his residence and to declare her an official royal child of the Emperor. But to his dismay, he had been informed that he had to put his plans on hold and instead schedule a funeral for Rin because of her rank.

Shanghai flared his nose subconsciously at physician Jiu Mozhi standing before him as he sat on a wooden chair engraved with dragon symbols made of gold and platinum. He had asked at least 10 questions about how Ren had passed but still found it impossible that such a young and lively woman could die from a stroke. This was most likely an assassination attempt. He felt less unnerved after increasing surveillance and guards.

He carelessly looked through her details listed in a medium-sized scroll tied by a silk ribbon that was engraved with gold. Rin seemed to have been in great health when she came to his residence so there was no logical explanation of how she could have died from a stroke. If someone were to terminate Rin who would want to? What gain would they have to end a virgin who he never favored?

Abruptly a vision came upon Shanghai's mind in his trail of thoughts of Empress Dowager Chiyo. Shanghai bit his lip in frustration and shook his head in disbelief. No, she was the empress, not an assassin. He cleared his mind of such troubling thoughts.

It was a plague and an eye sore to view his burden. It was maddening how she was threaded onto him. How she had taken away his joy for nine years just by existing.
Shanghai wanted nothing more than to rid her existence and be free of her but he promised his mother that he will behave before she died. Suddenly he laughed remembering how he went to Jade against his dying mother's wishes. He was such a hypocrite. Never could he be a Sumo.

The Physician looked up from his scroll to stare at the emperor with an expression of concern and then confusion. "Continue onward." Shanghai offered with a smirk pointing a hand at the scroll.

The Physician nervously smiled.
"What preparations should be followed?" Shanghai frowned and shrugged he didn't really care to be honest what happened to his wife as long as he didn't have to take part
"Do what is proper," Shanghai said bitterly.

Physician Jiu Mozhi widened his eyes briefly taken aback by the level of indifference the Emperor had for his wife but recomposed himself forcing a smile and bowed deeply. "As Your Most High Heavenly Emperor desires. I shall let the temple attendants know at once to prepare for the mourning process."

Shanghai nodded and handed the scroll back to Physician Jiu Mozhi who slowly exited the room. When the physician left Shanghai to let out a long-awaited sigh. He rubbed his head sore from overthinking. Such thoughts were stressful but needed. He had to find out the culprit before they struck again. The Murder of a royal member was a grave crime against the heavens and justice must be held.

Perhaps Asumi isn't as innocent as she seems. Shanghai found himself sighing again. No, she was her friend. Shanghai rolled his eyes aggravated. There were no friends in the palace. His father had been sure to teach him well the day his own brother had poisoned him. Shanghai shook as a chill ran up his spine remembering the day his mother found his uncle dead hanging from a rope.

The physicians at the time ruled his death as suicide but despite being a boy as he stared into his mother's eyes he seemed to know the truth. His mother had smiled. It was brief but she had truly looked relieved for a moment before turning her expression into one of sorrow as tears ran down her face.
It had to be done.

His uncle hated his brother and any part of him would have been destroyed. He had no clue how such a small and fragile woman accomplished such a fate but the recognition sent terror to his being that a woman could have done this to his wife.

If someone could end her life then it was only a second that they could decide his fate. Shanghai gripped firmly on his dagger hidden under his robe. He had started carrying the blade around after the death in fear.

Shanghai bit his lip. He couldn't be cowardly as he was the Emperor and representation of heaven. He was the son of a great warrior king. A flash of Bai entered his mind. He was such a splitting image of that woman.

Shanghai straightened his back and made imaginary attack moves with his dagger. The scene of Bai's loving eyes vanished from his mind... He then put his hands together and let out a deep sigh to compose himself.

He knew the best way to calm his nerves would be to confront those who were attending with Rin. He would question them himself. Then he would find the culprit and they would pay with their life.

Shanghai quickly walked over to his desk his steps echoing in loud thuds and rang a bell. An enuch walked in bowing to the ground. "Your Most High Heavenly---" Prepare an escort," Shanghai said firmly. Today he would issue a judgement.