Deception

A beautiful yet sad melody from a harp played throughout the palace halls. Two maids walked gracefully in a room towards the sound and bowed with respect for the lonely black robed Genki.

Suddenly the harp was plucked harshly and a cry broke the peace of the two maids who stopped bowing looking up with concern at their mistress who dropped the harp holding her stomach.

As another cry of pain rang out the oldest maid grabbed hold of her friend and shouted; "Quick get the midwife!"
--------------------------------------------------
Jade laid on her back for hours as a midwife held her daughter. Her little Princess. Yes she was a princess. Jade thought straining her weary body to look at her daughter cuddled close to the midwife who laughed when the baby cooed with happiness. Jade had refused to name the child until Shanghai saw her. Only then would the child be named.

When Shanghai didn't come for hours Jade sent a messenger to find him and when the messenger boy returned with a disappointed face Jade's heart broke with pain.

The emperor would not see her. Jade had given the Emperor a girl instead of a boy. She had failed him. The letter slipped out of Jade's hands as she curled into a ball to mourn with ever so much grief .

To My Genki;

How dare you ask of me when you have failed your Most High and nation you serve. The child will never rule but be only a burden.

------Most High

But Jade did not know that the letter given to her was not from the Emperor at all but a very jealous Empress Chiyo.