Chapter 10

Thursday

I'm still stuck in the middle on what to do. Go with my best friend or the boy of dreams? I think I know what to do. I finally make up my mind and pick up my phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Brad, it's me Pam. I'm calling to tell you I can't go to the winter formal."

"Why?" he ask in a distraught voice.

"I made a promise to my best friend and I really want to keep it, I'm sorry, Brad," I say in a sad voice.

"Okay well, see ya," he says.

I hang up after the extreme pain I've just caused myself. I really hope I made the right decision. I call Taylor to tell her.

"Hey Taylor," I say in a sad voice.

"What's wrong?" she asks.

"I told Brad I wasn't going to the dance with him since I made a promise to you."

I hear a sad sniffle from Taylor's end of the conversation."I knew how much you liked him and it means so much that you picked me over Brad."

"Well friends are forever and I didn't wanna risk losing you. I gotta go I'll see you tomorrow," I say

"Bye," she hangs up the phone.

I think I made the right decision.

Friday

The bell rang and I was off to lunch to see Taylor. I walk in the door and see she's not sitting at our table. Did she leave early? I would have thought she would tell me. Wait. Is she sitting with Brad? I'm going over there. I march over to Taylor and Brad.

"Hey Taylor, um, why are you sitting next to Brad?" I asked.

She looks around with a snotty look and licks her lips, since she's sitting with all the popular people."I tricked you."

"What!? How could you you," I ask, holding back my tears.

"Come with me." We go over to the trash  cans. "Well, I mean, at first we were just gonna go since I thought it'd be fun, but then I heard that if you turn Brad down he was gonna ask me."

"So your proud of being a second choice? What happened to you?" I ask.

"Well I mean he's the most popular sophomore in the school so, I've gained some confidence knowing he at least considered me," she says.

I look at her in disgust, wondering what happened to the Taylor I knew.

"I gotta go," I say, letting my tears almost fall down my face.

I run into the bathroom and hurry into a stall so I can finally release my tears. Now I know I've made the wrong decision.