First day

We go up to the roof, where I see Four holding a rifle. I don't like guns. They don't scare me, But I have bad memories of them. I saw both of my parents getting shot in cold blood.

He explained and showed us how we arm and disarm a gun. We all lined up. Everybody was practicing. I was just staring at the weapon that was now sitting in my hand. I didn't know Eric was behind me.

"You do know it's not going to load itself," I jumped up.

"Jezus, Eric. Don't scare me like that," He chuckled at my response. "Yea, I know, I'm not stupid," I added, turning my attention back to the gun.

"Than what are you waiting for? Did you even pay attention to Four's demonstration," His voice was cold. I sighed, letting go of my thoughts. I grabbed the magazine and put it in the gun, pulling the safety off. Putting the safety back on and pressing the magazine release button, catching it with my other hand. I did everything in a smooth, quick motion. I laid the gun back down and turned back to Eric. "Happy?"

"So why did you wait?" He asked me. His voice was soft, almost sweet. Did he really wanna know my answer?

"Bad memories," I mumbled. It was barely a whisper. He looks at me confused before asking. "But you're Abnegation, right?" I lowered my head down to the ground. For some reason, I didn't want to lie, but I didn't want to say the truth either.

"Get ready for shooting! Eric and I will be walking around." Four's voice boomed around the roof. I turn back around, grabbing the gun again loading it. I saw Eric helping Micah, who was struggling with everything. I pull the safety off, aim, and fire, headshot. I did this a couple of times. Hitting the head 3 times and the heart 5. I saw Mia struggling.

"Try locking your elbows, rest the stock of the gun on your shoulder. Aim hold your breath and shoot." She looked at me before trying it out. She hit the target in the shoulder. She lets out a squeal of happiness. "Thank you so so much!" I chuckle. I saw Eric and Four talking to each other, both looking at me. I raise an eyebrow making eye contact with both of them. Four made his way over to me. Eric turned his attention back on Micah, who was still messing up.

"Impressive," Four said, pointing towards my target.

I shrug my shoulders. "It's just aiming and firing," Four chuckles and lays a hand on my shoulder. "You are a different one, River." "Like I said, Four. I'm just amazing," I say back with some fake sass. He lets out a small laugh, I smile.

It was now time for our lunch break. We walked to the dining area. Mia wanted me to sit with them, I declined her offer. I grabbed a piece of toast and some water.

"You don't like it here, do you?" It was Tori. She pointed out to all the people who were chatting together.

"Actually, no. I would rather be alone." I answer, giving her a smile.

"Here, these are the keys to the roof. You seem smart enough to not do anything stupid. If you get in trouble, tell them I sent you there." She handed me the keys and winked at me.

"Thank you so much, Tori,"

"Just don't be late for training." She patted me on the back before returning to her seat.

I went up to the roof and sat on the edge of the building. I love being high up. I picked at my bread, not really eating it.

Someone cleared their throat. Once again, getting frightened, I looked over my shoulder to see Eric standing by the entrance.

"You gotta stop doing that," I say with a smile. "And no, I'm not thinking of jumping," I added jokingly.

"So are you Abnegation?" He asks, walking towards me, not breaking eye contact. Fuck! Why did he remember our conversation?

"Yes? Why else would I live there?" Not sounding as confidant as I wanted to.

"I don't know, you tell me."

"We should go back. The second half of training starts soon. Don't wanna be late otherwise, my trainers will get mad." I teasingly said to him. "I just like the color grey, Eric," I said, giving him a wink as I walked out the door. Okay, why the fuck did I wink? What's wrong with me?

We did some running. I like running. Four has a good ass, so that helps a lot too. Then we learned some basic self-defense moves.

"Are they ready for some real fighting?" Eric asked four.

"Not even close. Well, River maybe, but the rest is hopeless." Four answered.

"First jumper. In the ring!" Eric's deep voice, interrupting us. I looked at him before casually walking to the ring. "Last Jumper. Time to fight." I was against a girl, I believe her name was Sarah. She was also in Abnegation.

"How long do we fight for?" She asks.

"Till one of you can't continue," Eric answers emotionless. A smile spread across my face. He just loves scaring them.

"Or till one of you concedes." Four added. I can feel the tension between the 2 leaders. Eric would let us fight to our dead, but Four wouldn't.

"According to the old rules. The new rules no one concedes." He added with an evil smirk. I couldn't really understand what they said to each other, but it for sure pissed Eric of. I give Four a confused look. He waves his hand in the air as a signal to leave it alone.

"Go!" Eric yells, annoyed, waving his hand towards the ring. His muscles are tense. Why is he so angry?

We circle each other for a moment. I take the opportunity to look for any weaknesses. Her body is slightly tilted to the right, which would mean her right leg is her supportive leg. If I take that one out, she would probably lose her balance. She charges at me, I dodge her. Taking out her right foot from underneath her. She falls to the ground. I hit her in the side of her neck, making her blackout. I won. Easy fight.

 Easy fight