A New Colleague, An Old Enemy

• Dedicated to William Baldwin

ALRIGHT JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS: HARRY POTTER AND IT'S AFFLIATED CHARACTERS BELONG TO JK ROWLING. ARIELLA CROSS HOWEVER DOES NOT AND I CLAIM HER! :]

________________________________________________________________________________

"You seem to be faring well, Ella." Albus Dumbledore smiled when a young woman jumped. Her blonde curls bounced as she turned quickly to face the aging wizard and her face lit up with a smile. Her amethyst eyes twinkled as Albus tilted his head to the side.

"Oh! Professor Dumbledore! You've not aged a single bit!" She spoke softly, her voice tinkling like little bells.

"It's Albus now, I think, Ella." He replied as he allowed the woman to hug him tightly. Ariella Cross pulled away, still smiling brightly as she ushered him to a nearby empty desk.

"What brings you here, Albus?" She asked as she conjured two cups of tea out of thin air. Albus smiled as he accepted the offered cup.

"I have a favor to ask of you, my dear." He responded as he took a sip of the tea. Ariella stared at him before nodding, telling him to continue.

"I would like you to come teach at Hogwarts." He continued as Ariella's eyes widened.

"But...all the positions were full, I thought! What's happened?" She asked in a mild panic. Dumbledore smiled softly before placing his hand up in a gesture of comfort.

"Calm yourself, Ella. I merely need a replacement while one of my teachers recuperates." He answered as Ariella calmed down. She put her hand over her chest and sighed.

"Oh. Well of course I'll fill in for them. Anything for you Albus." She responded softly with a sweet smile that Dumbledore was sure melted the hearts of many of the men she came in contact with. Dumbledore smiled in return before leaving her to her packing.

"School starts September..."

"First. I remember." She replied before he could finish and he smiled before disappearing with a pop. Ariella smiled before turning to her small office. She was sure they would be alright without her. Besides the ministry would simply fill her position as quickly as possible.

"Wait..." Her eyes went wide in realization.

"He didn't tell me what subject!" She exclaimed in horror.

*****

"Ariella Cross?" Minerva McGonagall asked in surprise as Dumbledore nodded, his eyes sparkling behind his half-moon spectacles.

"Ariella Cross?" McGonagall reiterated as he nodded again. She smiled.

"Well at least it is someone I will enjoy." She remarked as Dumbledore chuckled.

"Minerva, you enjoy everyone." He replied as she shook her head before leaving the headmaster to his headmaster duties that he always seemed to be skiving off.

"Albus, when is she due to arrive?"

"Tomorrow."

"Very well. I'll prepare her room. Good evening."

"Good evening Minerva."

******

"Miss Cross, how wonderful of you to make it."

"Albus! You didn't tell me what subject I would be teaching, so I didn't have any idea of what to plan for lessons and now..." Ariella stopped as Dumbledore raised his hand.

"My dear, you fret too much on the small details." She scoffed.

"Small details are classroom location, class sizes, student names. Big details are name of course!" She replied exasperated. She walked beside the jovial man with grace as her trunk floated effortlessly behind them. Her robes billowed in the wind and she pulled them closer to her.