No One Died and That's What Counts, Right?

Ariella groaned as she fought the fogginess of unconsciousness. She struggled to open her eyes. She sensed movement to her left and she pried her eyelids open. Bright light filtered into her vision, momentarily blinding her. Her limbs felt like lead as she tried to move. Her muscles were stiff and sore. Throbbing pain echoed from her head as she blinked to readjust to the light. Someone’s blurry form blocked the light for a bit as Ariella smirked.

“Hey snark,” She greeted weakly as her throat itched. Severus sighed in relief when he saw she still had her memories. He frowned as she moved to sit up.

“Stay down, Cross.” He ordered. After brewing the mandrake potion, he had taken it upon himself to stay at Ariella’s bed side until she awakened, especially since he had learned that Gilderoy Lockhart had tried to obliverate her memory and ended up having it backfire in his face.

“How’s Harry?” She asked as she moved her hand to her head wound. Severus sneered before answering.

“He’s fine. As are the Weasleys and Lockhart.” He informed her as she smiled. Severus felt his stomach flutter at the sight. He gently brushed her tangled blonde curls away from her face.

“What were you thinking?” He growled as Ariella snorted.

“Truthfully, I don’t think I was thinking,” She answered. Severus frowned as he folded his arms across his chest.

“It was reckless and stupid! Do you know you’re lucky to be alive, Cross?” He snarled. All the anger and pain he had felt when he had seen her broken flared up, stroking his temper. Ariella frowned.

“What is your problem?” She growled as Severus glared at her.

“My problem is that my wife is an idiot! She doesn’t think before she jumps into situations! You went against a Basilisk! A creature impervious to magic! With a wand! Do you have any idea what you looked like when you came back? Potter had to drag you! You were covered in blood! I thought you were dead, Ariella!” He yelled as Ariella stared at him. Tears appeared in her eyes. 

“Snape, I,” She paused and Severus continued his rant.

“If it weren’t for Potter, Cross, you would be dead! Him and the bloody phoenix! What would your family say if they had learned you had been killed? Don’t you think about them? Do you worry about them when you go off on these idiotic, suicidal adventures?!” He growled as he watched the tears race down Ariella’s reddening cheeks.

“Severus, I’m sorry!” She gushed as Severus stopped.

“I’m sorry for worrying you and the others! I’m sorry for not telling you! Please, I’m sorry!” She apologized tearfully as Severus sighed. He came close enough for Ariella to grip his robe in her bruised hands. She pulled herself against his waist and stayed there as Severus let her.

“I forgive you,” he whispered before pulling away from her. She stared at him before the curtain around her bed flew open and Albus smiled at her.

“Ariella, I’m glad to see you’re awake,” he greeted as Ariella turned to him in surprise.

“Albus!” The elderly headmaster smiled softly as he easily wiped away Ariella’s excess tears.

“Mr. Potter’s been asking about you and Miss Weasley wanted to thank you,” Albus informed the embarrassed woman. He nodded at Severus who looked abashed.  The Potions Master sneered before walking away; his robes billowed as he left. Ariella watched him before turning back to Albus.

“Is Harry alright?” She asked. Albus smiled as he nodded.

“Yes. Everyone, with the exception of Mr. Lockhart, seems to be in tip top shape.” He answered jovially as Ariella sighed in relief.

“So, Lockhart has no memory?” She questioned hopefully. Albus chuckled before shaking his head.

“None. He doesn’t even remember he’s a wizard.” He informed her as Ariella grinned wildly.

“It took an Obliverate spell for him to leave me alone, but it was worth it,” She remarked as she sat up fully and began to climb out of bed. The elderly headmaster helped her to her feet and led her over to Harry Potter's bedside. Ariella smiled softly as she brushed a few strands of his wild ebony hair away from his face.

"Merlin, he looks just like James," she mentioned quietly. Albus chuckled.

"Indeed. Do you plan to tell him?" He asked as Ariella sighed.

"Guess I'll have to. To make it up for all this, huh?" She replied as Harry stirred at her touch. Albus patted her shoulder before leaving her alone with the Boy Who Lived. Harry reached for his glasses groggily as he looked up at his blonde professor. She smiled at him and he  felt at peace in her presence.

"Hello Harry," she greeted softly as he sat up in his bed.

"Professor Cross, you awake!" Harry exclaimed quietly as Ariella nodded at him.

"Yes, it seems I owe you a thank you for saving my life." She replied as Harry blushed and shook his head. 

"You were trying to protect us," he answered. Ariella sighed as she looked to the ground.

"Harry, there's something I need to tell you," Ariella began as Harry looked up at her with wide question-filled eyes. She sat on the bed next to him before looking into his eyes.

"Harry, when you were born, your parents," She paused before continuing. Harry leaned closer at the mention of his parents.

"They, um, appointed me as your, uh, godmother," She finished quietly as Harry stared at her.

Her amethyst eyes looked up and met his emerald ones and Harry felt something that he only felt here within the walls of Hogwarts. He felt protected, safe, and most of all, loved. He suddenly launched himself at Ariella and held her in a tight hug. Ariella giggled as she returned the embrace.

“So I’ll take this hug as an acceptance,” She remarked as Harry pulled away to grin at her. Ariella smiled softly before she ruffled Harry’s hair.

“You know what this means right? No more dangerous stunts without my prior approval,” She announced as Harry laughed and nodded.

“Now what can we take from this year?” She asked as Harry smiled.

“Giant spiders are afraid of giant snakes?” He answered in a questioned as Ariella laughed. The sound echoed in the hospital wing as Poppy smiled to herself in her office. Ariella was one of those rare souls who seemed to be eternally happy and it spread to anyone who came in contact with her.

______________________________________________________________________

"So Snape, guess this means we don't have to married anymore, huh?" Ariella asked as she ran her hand through her curls. The two stood alone in the teacher's lounge. The other teachers had gone to meet Hagrid at the front gates.

"Indeed, I suppose it does," Snape answered as he watched his companion. Truthfully, he had gotten used to the idea of being tied to this woman. He wasn't admitting he liked to call her his, but he had gotten used to it. She smiled softly at him. 

"Well then, friends?" Severus stared at her before shaking his head.

"No," He answered curtly as he watched the hurt flit across her face before understanding replaced it.

"Alright then. Acquaintances," She finished with a nod as she turned to go meet with Hagrid. Severus wanted to stop her. Merlin knows his hand reached out to do so, but he stopped himself. She was leaving after this year, he noted painfully. He'd probably never see her again. And that thought sent a shock of pain through his chest.

"Ariella," he whispered longingly. He frowned before turning and escaping to the dungeons.